Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2021, Gladiator, Rubicon, Snazzberry, MANY others
Occupation
retired
I haven’t used Onyx yet but seems to be good stuff. They have different levels of protection with the Onyx line so I’d make sure you get what you want. I look forward to your review if you decide to get this done.
Howdy John,

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I should be getting the Jeep this coming midweek, the guy I am working with said he could get it done in a couple of days, if I do it I'll be sure to post up my opinion and some photos. If the darn sun ever shines up here again you might even be able to see a shine.

Dave
Sponsored

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I had mine done, I think it's well worth it. I wish I'd have done the day I bought it
Howdy Steve,

That's why I am interested in these products, now that the Jeep is new is the best time to have it done, thanks for your reply and thoughts.

Dave

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
There are already some threads on ceramic treatment in general. One is called “5 year Ceramic Protection” or something similar. In any event they do work.

The cost and quality vary. I’m not at all a pro, but we have some pro detailers here on the Forum who may comment. And many here who use home DIY versions. I know nothing, but I‘ve gathered that the key points that determine pricing are:

1. Paint correction. This is the bulk of the labor, so if you take a brand new vehicle in you might get a better deal than list.
2. The relative quality of the products used, which is beyond me
3. Judging the skill of the installer, which is also beyond me.
4. The number of layers applied, which is related to
5. the length of the warranty
6. whether wheels and windows are included.

I’ve had a $500 job arranged by a Jeep dealer in Chicago, it lasted maybe a year, and a several thou$$and job from a pro involving some “wrap” then multilayer coating for the whole car including over the wrap. That one’s still ”shining and shedding” after 11 years (with periodic waxing).

For reference, this is a link to list prices at a place with a great reputation in one (two) of the most expensive areas in the entire country. I imagine they do more G-Wagons than Jeeps. Their packages start at $1k list.
https://www.proshinehamptons.com/ceramic-pro-packages-hamptons

So IMHO I’d say definitely do it but check the details on that $500 version.
Howdy Speed,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Dave

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Got mine done it cost me like 1400 or so. Even after winter in ny it’s still beads water and shines nice
No experience with ceramic here. I did pick up some 'ceramic' bade by mothers at the parts store and did it myself. It was a treat when wet type deal so I highly doubt it is anything other than ceramic. But it does seem to be working well and makes dirt and grime wash off easy. But I am quoting the statement above because this hits home to me. You mention $600? Sure your friend is doing it but I would still be cautious and asking all sorts of questions. The 'average' price I seem to be seeing in my area is 2K. Ranging from $1500 to $3000. I know nothing of paint protection or what to help with the long term - other than none of it will probably matter the moment I get some pin-striping..... Just throwing that out there though because to me, for all the hype of what ceramic is, $600 seems awful cheap even for a 'buddy' discount. But, I hope I'm just being overreactive.

Whatever you decide on share pics when its all finished!

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Yea I had a full protection package done and had I just done the ceramic it would have cost more. There is a detail shop near by that quoted me 1500 for just the ceramic on a brand new truck. More then 3000 miles on it and the price goes up. I had mine done new. At zbart. They had it for the weekend. Undercoat rust proofing in all the panels and the ceramic coat was all in at I think about 3500.

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
A legit job by a shop here in San Diego with proper prep costs about $2500 hopefully that helps you

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
A paint correction and full vehicle application by an experienced detailer youre looking at 1000$+ for a 2-3 year coating. An inexperience detailer can really ruin the application and then you'll be looking for someone else to fix it so make sure you find someone with a lot of experience

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
No experience with ceramic here. I did pick up some 'ceramic' bade by mothers at the parts store and did it myself. It was a treat when wet type deal so I highly doubt it is anything other than ceramic. But it does seem to be working well and makes dirt and grime wash off easy. But I am quoting the statement above because this hits home to me. You mention $600? Sure your friend is doing it but I would still be cautious and asking all sorts of questions. The 'average' price I seem to be seeing in my area is 2K. Ranging from $1500 to $3000. I know nothing of paint protection or what to help with the long term - other than none of it will probably matter the moment I get some pin-striping..... Just throwing that out there though because to me, for all the hype of what ceramic is, $600 seems awful cheap even for a 'buddy' discount. But, I hope I'm just being overreactive.

Whatever you decide on share pics when its all finished!
Howdy Chad,

"I" am probably one of the most skeptical, cynical, people you would ever meet. My friend Paul, who I have known for over 20 years used to do this sort of work until health problems forced an early retirement, his good friend Robbie, has been working at high end shops for the last 22 years and is highly recommended to me by Paul. Yes the $600.00 is a good buddy deal but I am confident that Paul would not steer me wrong. I am not getting any undercoating or some of the other stuff that folks usually get when they have work like this done.

The Jeep dealer wanted $1,500.00 for "their" special coating but there was no way I was falling for that scam like I did when I bought my new toy hauler and was sold on the special coating that was to be put on, supposed to take a full day to apply and then only having the trailer washed with a special soap. I showed up a few hours early to pick up the trailer, it wasn't washed but two guys were using rags dipped in a can to apply the "special coating", you can bet I didn't pay for that farce.

If I do it, it will be eyes open and I'll accept responsibility for having made a poor decision if it all goes bad. If I do it I'll post some photos and you folks can judge for yourself.

Dave

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Howdy All,

I haven't even picked up my new 2021, yes it's new never been sold till I grabbed it, Snazzyberry Gladiator Rubicon. Should be driving it home on May 11th, and I am already thinking of spending money on it. First new vehicle I have bought in the last 20 years, probably be the last one so I'd like it to stay nice for a while so I have been hearing about and reading about ceramic finishes that when applied especially to a new vehicle will protect the paint and shine for a long time. I have been quoted $600.00 to get this done, so I am asking the group for advise, opinion on if this is an "investment" in protecting the rig or a donation to the swindler pedaling this particular snake oil. Thanks.

Dave
I’d suggest getting it wrapped to protect the paint all around, ceramic coating isn’t gonna protect it from scratches

Last edited:

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
I have it on mine, but I applied it myself. It does work and it's good stuff. I'm sure I'd have all kinds of pinstripes without it. With it, just the unpainted black flares have scratches. I just keep it fresh with those hybrid wax treatments now, but initial treatment was Chemical Guys real ceramic, and it wasn't cheap, even to do myself. I think it was like $150 + my time.
Did the coating change the nature of the original color of your Jeep at all (meaning anything you can notice). It doesn't take much on some colors anyway - just a change in sun intensity to modulate the color a little. Just wondering if this spray on had any effect along these lines.

Sponsored

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Mr. Cob, congratulations on your new Gladiator you will love it. I have had mine since last September and say it's the best vehicle I have ever owned. Your post is the first time I have read about ceramic coating. One reply said it does not protect against "pin strips" and others have said it does. I am confused... We took a trip to the Olympic Penninsula a couple months ago and ended up on a trail with heavy brush, I was happy to say that we did not end up with pinstrips because of the softness of the brush this time of year. I can see that later in year this would not be the case. I too live in Washington State (southwest) where are you and who would you recommend for this process?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’d suggest getting it wrapped to protect the paint all around, ceramic coating isn’t gonna protect it from scratches
Personal experience?
Over the years here, some have said it has protected against minor scratches.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Did the coating change the nature of the original color of your Jeep at all (meaning anything you can notice). It doesn't take much on some colors anyway - just a change in sun intensity to modulate the color a little. Just wondering if this spray on had any effect along these lines.
My nacho seems brighter to me than others. Might just be in my head though! It's definitely extremely glossy.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My nacho seems brighter to me than others. Might just be in my head though! It's definitely extremely glossy.
Would love to see the blue with the ceramic done well.

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Mr. Cob, congratulations on your new Gladiator you will love it. I have had mine since last September and say it's the best vehicle I have ever owned. Your post is the first time I have read about ceramic coating. One reply said it does not protect against "pin strips" and others have said it does. I am confused... We took a trip to the Olympic Penninsula a couple months ago and ended up on a trail with heavy brush, I was happy to say that we did not end up with pinstrips because of the softness of the brush this time of year. I can see that later in year this would not be the case. I too live in Washington State (southwest) where are you and who would you recommend for this process?
Howdy Patrick,

I live a few miles north of Granite Falls, at the west base of the Cascade Mountain range, right at the mouth of the Robe Valley. Back before they locked all the logging roads this was a dirt bike, 4x4 heaven, you could ride-drive for days or until you ran out of fuel, now there is next to nothing to do in this area and we are losing more as time goes on.

My old Jeeps, I didn't care about looks, sheet metal served two purposes, keep some of the mud and the trees from covering or hitting me, I could care less what they looked like only how far I could get into the next impossible-stupid thing on the trail. I now have a hot rod SxS to do the stupid stuff with the Gladiator, will be my daily driver and occasional tow vehicle to drag the SxS to the hinterlands.

I can't give any honest opinions-views on these products as I haven't used them or had any experience with what they do or how they do it. As to recommending someone or a place to get it done again I know nothing, but if I do get this done I will let folks know my feelings about it.

Dave
Sponsored