First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 09 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
U.S. Army (Retired)
Hmm 🤔 I wonder if tires perform the same as tyres? Just kidding. Good video.

Reactions: Mac

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Didn't watch, maybe he covered this... But something I was thinking about the other day is total square footage of rubber wear surface (not just contact patch).
For example, (4) 285/70/17 have a total of 32 square feet of rubber working on the ground in each rotation. That's a 4x8 sheet of plywood.
Now, a 35x12.50 is riding on 38 square feet (19% more rubber), with 7% more distance per rotation. So that's a total of 20% more rubber slapping per mile with the 285s. (adding a 5-tire rotation is ANOTHER +25% life)

If the wear rating and tread depth are the same, that should equate straight to tire life (but smaller tires hold more heat, so not exactly?)
Something to consider between different tire sizes... in the BFG T/A KO2 tires I bought, the 35s were MORE than an extra 20% in cost of the 285s, though, so moot point.

But it's fun to think about a 4x10 sheet of plywood covered in T/A KO tread.

shahidak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
It's been two years since this thread was started, but I'm glad you found that video helpful. It's always cool to see how different tire sizes can affect a vehicle's performance.
And if you're ever curious about how changing your tire size could impact your speedometer, handling, and overall performance, you should check out tiresizescalculator.com. It's a handy tool that can help you compare different tire sizes and see how they stack up against each other.
Plus, they also provide info on tire load capacity, speed rating, and even the expected lifespan of your tires.

Last edited:

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
"Massive set of 35's"... I thought everything was bigger in Australia? ;)
Sponsored