Sponsored

Great Balls Of Fire.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Really?! Hillbillies?
Some welders and mechanics know that you can use long jumper cables to arc weld when necessary for a trail fix. Done it and seen it a few times and it got folks off the trail or home. Carry specific arc rods and long jumper cables rather than lots of spare parts.
My JKUR had twisted the front axle outer tube from the differential and fixed it with jumper cables and arc rods.
Not all car battery welders are hillbillies, but these two were. They weren't trying to weld, they were doing shotty electrical fixes to a beat up truck that probably wouldn't pass tech inspection at any sanctioned event.
Sponsored

Deleted member 23202

Not all car battery welders are hillbillies, but these two were. They weren't trying to weld, they were doing shotty electrical fixes to a beat up truck that probably wouldn't pass tech inspection at any sanctioned event.
I was worried about frying my electrical system but it was a fairly new Jeep and it needed to be done. The first time I saw it, I thought the guy was nuts when he asked for my cables to weld. He slagged the ends but I learned a valuable skill that helped myself and others.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
is that your RED Gladiator on your Avatar?
Why yes of course, ole fivers does have a 2 Door Long Bed Jeep Gladiator Pickup Truck.

I do declare I might resemble them two hillbilly you also mentioned.

So, I think this burning issue should be referred readily to the court in Maine Justice for proper disposition.

76e5310694e8f9162bbabcb20c29c5c7.jpg

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I was worried about frying my electrical system but it was a fairly new Jeep and it needed to be done. The first time I saw it, I thought the guy was nuts when he asked for my cables to weld. He slagged the ends but I learned a valuable skill that helped myself and others.
Do you utilize the alternator power as well with car running, or is it just the battery? Wondering if you can just take the battery out of the car.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Really?! Hillbillies?
Some welders and mechanics know that you can use long jumper cables to arc weld when necessary for a trail fix. Done it and seen it a few times and it got folks off the trail or home. Carry specific arc rods and long jumper cables rather than lots of spare parts.
My JKUR had twisted the front axle outer tube from the differential and fixed it with jumper cables and arc rods.
Only morons thank that Hillbillies are uneducated.

The notion that if you don't have a collage degree means that you are an uneducated persons is propaganda.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Aluminum in car bodies mostly & low carbon steel. Race cars use the exotic materials. In the 70’s & 80’s Indy car wheels just ignite when they skim the walls on oval tracks. Magnesium rims. Hence the name “Mag wheels” a decent amount of magnesium in the structure. It’s strong and lightweight. It literally ignites!
I’d imagine it’s too expensive for exterior body panels. BUT I’m sure there is a decent amount in sub-structures and components.
There should be no magnesium in a Jeep. Almost all light weight items these days are various alloys of aluminum. Wheels are aluminum. There are various grades and types of aluminum.
As a former auto tech who still works on various odds and ends and tries to keep up a bit - can't think of magnesium in a structure like a Jeep.
For one thing - federal safety regs would be an issue........... but cost would be another when so much can and is done with aluminum. Pulleys, engine blocks, heads, alternator and starter parts, all aluminum or some zinc compounds in many cases. (carburetors are zinc and aluminum - I know, old tech, but still - no magnesium there - zinc and aluminum)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Do you utilize the alternator power as well with car running, or is it just the battery? Wondering if you can just take the battery out of the car.
Oh I could post pictures of diodes blown clean out the back of alternators by dumb stuff being done. There's even some idiots around that believe you can troubleshoot pre-computer systems by simply pulling a battery cable and if the engine dies, the alternator is bad. Well, Bubba, if it wasn't, it is now!
I restore alternators and other electric devices for classic cars - and I've done troubleshooting of EFI systems. Granted, pre-1990 systems but still - you send the PCM and other electronics for a big loop - or blow things completely.
Oh, but some will point to those who have done it and their vehicles lived to tell about it - fine, sometimes people get by, some get lucky - but unless you like replacing alternators and electronic parts, PCMs, etc......

Back in the 1970s AMC had troubles with blown diodes and ruined regulators - come to find out is was techs using battery powered test equipment, timing lights and so on - and removing said items while they were still on and engine running. They (AMC) put some well-placed capacitors in the charging system to cover for the people who should have known better, they absorbed the transient spikes and saved the electronics.

I tell folks - do whatever, I can fix it, I don't mind the money.

Last edited:

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
There should be no magnesium in a Jeep. Almost all light weight items these days are various alloys of aluminum. Wheels are aluminum. There are various grades and types of aluminum.
As a former auto tech who still works on various odds and ends and tries to keep up a bit - can't think of magnesium in a structure like a Jeep.
For one thing - federal safety regs would be an issue........... but cost would be another when so much can and is done with aluminum. Pulleys, engine blocks, heads, alternator and starter parts, all aluminum or some zinc compounds in many cases. (carburetors are zinc and aluminum - I know, old tech, but still - no magnesium there - zinc and aluminum)
Not disagreeing with you. I wasn’t thinking of just Jeep. Magnesium is still used widely in the auto industry. I would not know how much Jeep would utilize.
Maybe their vendors are still using it for some castings. I think the one comment was just wondering about body panels.
Which Jeep doesn’t utilize. However Porsche
is using it for the roof of the production 911R.
Strong and light.
Cheers mate.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Looks like the tailgate of the JL has a magnesium inner wrapped with aluminum but I see no mention of any magnesium in the JT.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the tailgate of the JL has a magnesium inner wrapped with aluminum but I see no mention of any magnesium in the JT.
At least it's wrapped. I hope it's zip-locked.

I can see sports cars, that sort of thing - Porsche, etc. - but even then, many have gone the carbon fiber route for panels, etc. - there's newer technology that's safer. When folks in my hobby develop lighter panels for racing, it's carbon fiber where possible. Even some other parts, scoops and such.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not disagreeing with you. I wasn’t thinking of just Jeep. Magnesium is still used widely in the auto industry. I would not know how much Jeep would utilize.
Maybe their vendors are still using it for some castings. I think the one comment was just wondering about body panels.
Which Jeep doesn’t utilize. However Porsche
is using it for the roof of the production 911R.
Strong and light.
Cheers mate.
I get it - thanks - and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong....... just that what I've dealt with has pretty much none. I can see very expensive or high performance vehicles.......... but then I'd wonder why not other more modern materials? Carbon fiber, other fun stuff.

Curious on the fire extinguisher bits discussed here -why on a truck that's mostly driven on the street, occasional hauling - ? I can see for off-road use, but the only time I have fire extinguishers is with my classic cars and that's because AMO requires one and it must be next to the left rear wheel at AMO shows and events. No FE - no car on the grounds. But we're talking cars with decades old wiring and who knows who has had their paws in them working on things.
Maybe I'm being dumb by NOT having one............ but the fire shown at the start of this - I question if a typical FE would even touch that - it's a lot of flame, gas, electrical, oil, etc. Would have to catch it very early and opening the hood would only fan the flames, so to speak.
I do keep a fire extinguisher in my 73 Javelin mostly because the prior owner was a dope when it came to wiring - I mean really, splice by wrapping the wires and securing with masking tape?
Ideally one tries to avoid the combinations of things and events that would cause a fire......... but you can't account for factory issues - thankfully they are as rare as they are.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
If my truck is on fire I'm letting it burn. Just saying.

No way I want a burned truck fixed. Lettit burn and take the insurance and move on

y8jb3.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My first wife drove our 84 Eagle wagon to the bank. All of a sudden people in the bank were commenting and pointing - smoke coming out from under the hood. A quick-thinking bank employee ran out with a fire extinguisher.
At that time I operated my own repair shop.......... I presented a bid to the insurance company for repairs to the car - got the job, fixed the car, got paid for doing it. A couple of years later she got the car in the divorce and drove the wheels off the thing.
(I went out and bought myself a used SX4 so I'd have a car - then when my Chevy truck broke down, I bought my first Jeep - an 87 Comanche.)
Sponsored