GRMS handheld sufficient for trails

Art1

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Planning on attending some events this year for off roading (trail rating 3-4), I realize that GRMS radios are needed and plan on purchasing one. The question I have is, are the handheld radios sufficient?
Im willing to buy and install a base unit and I’ve landed with Midwest Brand as they seem to be the leaders in this industry.

Any thoughts or advice from your experiences?

Thanks,
Art
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I suppose is depends what the distance requirement is?

Terrain type, group size, dust level all contribute to what radio/antenna setup you need.

A 3 vehicle group spaced tight in flat desert would be fine with a handheld. 30 vehicles in a dusty environment in twisty canyons not so much.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If your not going to be using it all the time why install one, a few H.H. will cost less and you can be out on foot with them.
FYI: I'm am just getting back into the radio games and got a top end installed and 3 H.H. radios. 😉

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I'd say depends on use:
Just need to talk to the few others in your group? it's perfect.
Need to talk to the base station across the park for an emergency? No (but really only one person in your group needs this ability if it's even a thing for the park you're at)

Over the last three years...
We started with cheap-o handhelds, then went to nicer GMRS handheld cause our cheap-o couldn't run the GMRS channels everyone else had, and then finally ended up with a hardwired Midland 275.

Biggest pain/reason we swapped from handhelds was keeping batteries for them. Either replacements or the charger in the car. Hard to use when I have to unplug, talk, plug in. Those hills and trees seemed to make them die frustratingly quick.

Another reason was if we wanted to talk on the convoy down or to our second half group a bit ways away we didn't have the range.

However, we do still carry the rechargable handhelds with us to hand out to those without a radio in our group or if we need to step out and spot.

Sponsored

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Where I live, a bunch of people use the Baofeng Radios and they work great.
Have access to all FRS and GMRS channels, NOAA and repeaters.

Battery life is multiple days, so I have never had an issue on that front and love the fact that I can just velcro it to my roll cage.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Planning on attending some events this year for off roading (trail rating 3-4), I realize that GRMS radios are needed and plan on purchasing one. The question I have is, are the handheld radios sufficient?
Im willing to buy and install a base unit and I’ve landed with Midwest Brand as they seem to be the leaders in this industry.

Any thoughts or advice from your experiences?

Thanks,
Art
The Midland handheld GMRS radios at Walmart work great for a group doing a trail. I carry, 2 of those handhelds, and I have a Midland MXT275 installed in my truck. The handhelds are great to hand to spotters and for guys who do not have radios in their truck. Exercising mouth control, the handheld's battery will last the whole day.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I have a midlands in the Jeep and when out I have 4 handhelds from Motorola for either the kids or others who don’t have a GMRS in their car

I have this which is a super price

Motorola Talkabout T260TPG Radio, Green - 3 Pack
https://www.walmart.com/ip/249156325

and a Motorola T600 walkabaout as well just one of this one as I split it with a friend when I first got a GMRS before adding the Midlands MXT275 to the truck

Motorola Talkabout T600 H2O Waterproof FRS Radios
https://www.walmart.com/ip/50877955

EBD6D192-D535-4E09-8C90-0EE74749E4EE.jpeg

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
I suppose is depends what the distance requirement is?

Terrain type, group size, dust level all contribute to what radio/antenna setup you need.

A 3 vehicle group spaced tight in flat desert would be fine with a handheld. 30 vehicles in a dusty environment in twisty canyons not so much.
This - It depends on distance/terrain, but in general, I think the handhelds (at least the midland ones) work pretty well. I have a midland mtx275 and a couple handhelds that I let friends borrow as necessary.

Sponsored

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
GMRS or UHF handheld radios should work fine in a JT and not that much worse than using the same radio standing outside. The JT has a fiberglass top and not much metal to restrict the radio waves. Even inside a metal car they can work ok since the wavelength is small enough to make it out the windows with minimal attenuation.

A VHF handheld like 2m amateur or MURS does not work well inside a car due to the longer wavelength that is larger than the window openings.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone recommend a good handheld?
Here is the one I have.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAULSOK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sadly it went up in price by $30 since I bought it.
It has excellent range and does not need a hard mount or external antennae.
I literally have mine velcro'd to my roll cage.
I also have config files to program them in a few minutes, with all of the FRS and GMRS channels, weather and local repeaters. It makes for very easy communications.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I was thinking of ones like the Radioditty or Baeofeng.
Baofeng isn't technically legal for GMRS frequencies but whether that matters to you is up to you. I personally love the Midland T71VP3 for a trail radio with an honorable mention to the Midland GXT1000VP4. T71s are rechargeable via USB and is easy to keep topped up in the truck. The GXT can be battery powered in a pinch but they don't transmit full strength in that setup.

Both have great range for a handheld but neither come close to a mobile base station.
Sponsored