GVWR

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
I do not know what yiur insurance company’s policy is on driving a unsafe vehicle is (an over loaded vehicle is technically an unsafe vehicle), but in Calif, all trucks, including pickup trucks, are registered as commercial vehicles (unless you have a bed mounted camper on it). My insurance policy states it will not cover my JT, if it is driven in a reckless, or dangerous manner, including exceeding its cargo and vehicle weight limits.

Insurance adjusters in most states make the call on what it will cover in their claims, and can deny any claim they feel exceeds the safe use of the vehicle being covered, that is involved in an accident as a result of unsafe use. Check your fine print Iinsurance company disclaimer, most policies have them. Same goes for the vehicle warranty.
cheers
Sponsored

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
Well of course the vehicle is "over-engineered" past its GVWR. We all know it's not going to collapse dramatically with that first pound over the rating.

At the same time, you don't know what you don't know. You don't precisely know how much is too much to cause part failure.

Further still, 1,200lbs of gear while stationary is a lot different when in motion. I think about it like repetitive motion injuries. Sure, you can survive one day of improperly slinging packs of shingles, but what's your body going to be like years down the road?

The GVWR is likely set where all system components can function normally for their expected life.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I do not know what yiur insurance company’s policy is on driving a unsafe vehicle is (an over loaded vehicle is technically an unsafe vehicle), but in Calif, all trucks, including pickup trucks, are registered as commercial vehicles (unless you have a bed mounted camper on it). My insurance policy states it will not cover my JT, if it is driven in a reckless, or dangerous manner, including exceeding its cargo and vehicle weight limits.

Insurance adjusters in most states make the call on what it will cover in their claims, and can deny any claim they feel exceeds the safe use of the vehicle being covered, that is involved in an accident as a result of unsafe use. Check your fine print Iinsurance company disclaimer, most policies have them. Same goes for the vehicle warranty.
cheers
I’m in the business. That’s why I asked what your policy states.

Mine does not.

Blanket statements about you being denied is all that I’m trying to avoid.

Every policy could say something different.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Yes, different insurance companies and polices will have different coverage, and will handle claims differentl. My policy has an operating the vehicle in an unsafe manner exclusion, which is a big loophole with varying interpretations, on what constitutes unsafe operation. So I error on the side of caution, and keep my vehicle within manufacturers specs.

However, anyone driving on a public roadway has an obligation to operate their vehicle in safe condition and in a safe manner. Drive an unsafe vehicle or drive in an unsafe manner and get into an accident, and you can leave yourself open to civil ligation, even if your insurance comp covers your costs — you can still be sued.
cheers

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I totally agree with you.
I’ve personally paid out tens of millions on “hold m’beer and watch this” kind of stuff.

The litmus test is "did you know or should you have known". What a reasonably prudent person would have done/did.

If my bed is full of camping stuff, and I've got five guys going on a camping trip, I'm probably overloaded by 500lbs.

Will an insurance company/adjuster deny your claim for this? Likely not.

You're loaded like the beverly hillbilly's and towing a tractor with a 15' batwing implement, yeah, there could be a problem.

If you're on a commercial contractors' equipment policy, you'll be just fine and you will get paid.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
From reading many of the responses if one to err on the side of caution then keeping a vehicle within mfg specs would mean that there would be no more lifted Jeeps with over sized tires with roof racks holding a roof top tent throwing off your factory COG. What a boring world it would be.

cug

First Name
Guido
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR EcoDiesel, Land Cruiser 79, BMW R1250GS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Just keeping busy
I hope it's okay to revive this old topic with a question regarding GVWR:

Does anybody know the empty weight, GVWR and payload on a Gladiator Willys (or even Sport) with EcoDiesel? I don't have one in the area to look at door stickers and my online search so far hasn't lead to anything concrete, so maybe someone here can help out.

We are trying to build an overland Gladiator here in the US and are struggling to stay within GVWR on the Jeeps. I'm rather shocked by the low numbers, my Land Cruiser 79 (V6 gas engine) has a payload of 2690lbs (1220kg in the German registration papers) and of course we had no issues staying within that even with 58 US gallons of fuel and 28 US gallons of water capacity.

With the Gladiator, I currently have no idea how to stay within the legal limit.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I hope it's okay to revive this old topic with a question regarding GVWR:

Does anybody know the empty weight, GVWR and payload on a Gladiator Willys (or even Sport) with EcoDiesel? I don't have one in the area to look at door stickers and my online search so far hasn't lead to anything concrete, so maybe someone here can help out.

We are trying to build an overland Gladiator here in the US and are struggling to stay within GVWR on the Jeeps. I'm rather shocked by the low numbers, my Land Cruiser 79 (V6 gas engine) has a payload of 2690lbs (1220kg in the German registration papers) and of course we had no issues staying within that even with 58 US gallons of fuel and 28 US gallons of water capacity.

With the Gladiator, I currently have no idea how to stay within the legal limit.
It varies with the options it has. I've owned two Overlands and both had different payload capacity.
The weight will vary, thus the payload will vary. All anyone can do is tell you what theirs is, but that doesn't mean one you buy will be the same.
My two Overlands varied by over 100 pounds. Some had even more payload than my first one did.
The diesel will have a lower payload than gas, don't look for any high numbers. If you need payload, you may need to look at something else.

cug

First Name
Guido
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Just keeping busy
@ShadowsPapa – thanks for the reply, I actually JUST found example numbers here on the site, it's not encouraging:

For the specific Willys EcoDiesel that was posted:

GVWR: 6350lbs
Payload: 1114lbs

Not encouraging since we want to put an Alu-Cab canopy camper on the rear. Seems the only model with at least somewhat reasonable payload is the Sport with Max Tow Package (which isn't available with an EcoDiesel). Bummer. Need to look more into this.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
@ShadowsPapa – thanks for the reply, I actually JUST found example numbers here on the site, it's not encouraging:

Not encouraging since we want to put an Alu-Cab canopy camper on the rear. Seems the only model with at least somewhat reasonable payload is the Sport with Max Tow Package (which isn't available with an EcoDiesel). Bummer. Need to look more into this.
nobody with an alucab is under GVWR. Possibly GAWR but I doubt that too. Most people even with a simple canopy, fridge, RTT and typical gear are also over GVWR when going on a trip. not thst its right or recommended, just what it is.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner

You are going to be over the stickered GVWR no matter what you do more than likely. There just isn't enough documented payload to do much without going over. Assuming you plan to lift your truck, there are plenty of offerings that will enhance the suspension for safer operation.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Even with my obs f350 i was over gvw simply by having an empty alaskan camper. Payloads just dont add up well.

• Haha
Reactions: cug

cug

First Name
Guido
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Just keeping busy
@chorky and @CrazyCooter – thanks for your input, I'm getting more and more painfully aware of that.

From my calculation (based on the spreadsheet I have for my Land Cruiser which has measured weights for most of our "movable" stuff) I seem to be able to stay within GVWR if I go with a Sport or Sport S with the max two package. Need to verify that, but it seems possible. Difficult, but possible.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
@chorky and @CrazyCooter – thanks for your input, I'm getting more and more painfully aware of that.

From my calculation (based on the spreadsheet I have for my Land Cruiser which has measured weights for most of our "movable" stuff) I seem to be able to stay within GVWR if I go with a Sport or Sport S with the max two package. Need to verify that, but it seems possible. Difficult, but possible.
Maybe if you don't plan on any recovery gear, tools, or water and live like a backpacker?

My Rubi Eco is right at GVWR, 6350ish in daily driver trim with 2 occupants inside. Add camping gear, moto, or RV and thats on top of the 6350.

cug

First Name
Guido
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Just keeping busy
My Rubi Eco is right at GVWR, 6350ish in daily driver trim with 2 occupants inside.
That's somewhat sad and utterly ridiculous. It would mean that you can't even use it as a four seater.

Again, based on my calculation with real, measured data from the car we already have, a Sport S with Max Tow Package would be within about 40lbs or so under GVWR with me, wife, and gear inside an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper. Yes, no big build-out of the camper, but we aren't planning that anyways, also no winch, but minimal recovery gear (1 set of Maxtrax, snatch strap, soft shackles). I do include tools, but I trim the kit down to the minimum I would actually use.
Sponsored