Sponsored

Happy with Premium Soft Top?

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold JLU Sport S for JTM, JL Willys Sport
That one thing is what's stopping me from wanting a soft top when I order mine. I really wish it just folded down behind the rear seats like the Wrangler top. It looks like a mullet or something when it's just flopped back on top like that... :facepalm:
It's really not that bad and you can't see it when you're driving. With it being on top, you get a clear rear view. To me, the look of having a hard top isn't worth the hassle due the convenience of the soft top.

Like I mentioned above, the JT soft top is very easy to remove. With an electric bit, I bet I could have it off in 2 mins. I got a Rain Gear cover that sits in the trunk in case a storm comes up.
Sponsored

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I just swapped my hard for the soft.. couple things I noticed on my first day today..
hotter in the cab at 80 degrees outside..
More loud at the traffic lights when watching the cross lanes go by.. takes a little getting used to I guess.. I added the soft top because we are headed to Zion national park for memorial weekend and wanted an easier version to open the top.. I like it so far.. but it does have some things that are not as nice as the hard top... and I am getting hard of hearing..
Interesting that you find the soft top hotter. I have the Bestop Sunrider in Twill (same material as premium soft top) that replaces the two front "Freedom Panels". I find it a lot cooler than the panels. The Sunrider radiates less heat at least. Then again, I don't have any sort of headliner to help insulate the hard top. Regarding more outside noise, you definitely get used to it. I'm thinking about going full soft top in the next year. I really love the Sunrider that much. I used to tell myself "oh, the panels are so easy to take off, why would I ever need a soft top?" I was wrong. The soft top experience is superior, regardless of the "man bun" looks.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Interesting that you find the soft top hotter. I have the Bestop Sunrider in Twill (same material as premium soft top) that replaces the two front "Freedom Panels". I find it a lot cooler than the panels. The Sunrider radiates less heat at least. Then again, I don't have any sort of headliner to help insulate the hard top. Regarding more outside noise, you definitely get used to it. I'm thinking about going full soft top in the next year. I really love the Sunrider that much. I used to tell myself "oh, the panels are so easy to take off, why would I ever need a soft top?" I was wrong. The soft top experience is superior, regardless of the "man bun" looks.
Hmm I live in South Texas and it gets to 110-115 here during July and August. Last year I did not notice any issues with the heat and my soft top. Covering my windows to keep the heat out does way more for keeping my truck cool than anything I could do to the top. I made the switch to Soft top from Hard top during the summer months and those panels would heat up like crazy.

greenspacechunks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
New Willys owner hereā€¦ coming from a JLU with premium soft top that I loved. Around here there werenā€™t any soft tops ordered from factory. Looking at converting but am not confident I can pull into my garage with the soft top up!

Any premium soft top owners able to measure height from roof to top of the soft top when it is up?

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
New Willys owner hereā€¦ coming from a JLU with premium soft top that I loved. Around here there werenā€™t any soft tops ordered from factory. Looking at converting but am not confident I can pull into my garage with the soft top up!

Any premium soft top owners able to measure height from roof to top of the soft top when it is up?
I have a Willys too. 81 inches. It wonā€™t fit in my garage while opened up.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I bought my JT in October of 2019, and have about 14k miles on it. While I really like the premium soft top that came with it (well made, easy to fold back etc) in the last couple months itā€™s gotten really noisy. First, it rattles all over. Iā€™m a pretty smart guy and I canā€™t really find out where itā€™s coming from, but from 3-4 places. I need to get someone else to drive while I get in the back seat and poke around. Second, itā€™s loosened up a ton! Itā€™s flappy, supper noisy on the highway. Almost to the point people canā€™t hear me on the higway, or just driving over 50.

I actually have an appointment tomorrow for them to check it. Iā€™ve read in a few places on the forum some mid 2019s FCA replaced them... anyone with advice?

jrid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Love mine (have both). One negative is if you have a 2in lift plus 35s... standard garage heights will NOT have the clearance to pull with the soft top back!

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I just swapped my hard for the soft.. couple things I noticed on my first day today..
hotter in the cab at 80 degrees outside..
More loud at the traffic lights when watching the cross lanes go by.. takes a little getting used to I guess.. I added the soft top because we are headed to Zion national park for memorial weekend and wanted an easier version to open the top.. I like it so far.. but it does have some things that are not as nice as the hard top... and I am getting hard of hearing..
I just put mine on for the first time MONDAY. The one thing that Iā€™ve noticed is when I get in and close the door there is an odd sound that happens I think because of the soft top. Like the more flexible top is impacted by the air in the cab being compressed a bit by the door? It doesnā€™t happen if I have the window open Before I close the door. Iā€™m guessing I get used to it by next week

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I will add this... the premium radio sound great with the top pushed back.. seems cleaner..

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
It's really not that bad and you can't see it when you're driving. With it being on top, you get a clear rear view. To me, the look of having a hard top isn't worth the hassle due the convenience of the soft top.

Like I mentioned above, the JT soft top is very easy to remove. With an electric bit, I bet I could have it off in 2 mins. I got a Rain Gear cover that sits in the trunk in case a storm comes up.
Oh I have no doubt that you're right. It's just my silly mind being petty.

Either way, I live in a sauna (central Florida), so I don't see myself taking the top down that much regardless, soft or hard.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
My premium soft top got approval To be replaced at the dealer today! They said it was horrible compared to the new ones. I guess Iā€™ve just got used to it getting noisier over time....

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
My premium soft top got approval To be replaced at the dealer today! They said it was horrible compared to the new ones. I guess Iā€™ve just got used to it getting noisier over time....
I usually just crank up the radio, maybe I should have mine looked at too. I do have a retaining pin on a mounting bracket that keeps backing out.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
That one thing is what's stopping me from wanting a soft top when I order mine. I really wish it just folded down behind the rear seats like the Wrangler top. It looks like a mullet or something when it's just flopped back on top like that... :facepalm:
Jeep actually designed the top to fold back on the top of the cab because itā€™s a truck and they wanted the bed to be clear. A unique problem since itā€™s the only current convertible truck on the market. Itā€™s a classic function over form trade off that Jeep made. Iā€™ve gotten used to it and when I use my bed (often), Iā€™m glad I donā€™t have stuff destroying my $1700 soft top.

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Jeep actually designed the top to fold back on the top of the cab because itā€™s a truck and they wanted the bed to be clear. A unique problem since itā€™s the only current convertible truck on the market. Itā€™s a classic function over form trade off that Jeep made. Iā€™ve gotten used to it and when I use my bed (often), Iā€™m glad I donā€™t have stuff destroying my $1700 soft top.
Yea that's what I figured. I'm sure there are plenty more people who would complain if the bed contents obstructed the use of the soft top than there people like me would prefer it go all the way back.

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
Hell I am happy with my regular soft top , if its not raining it is down, 5 min grocery or dinner run and its down. Want a safari top pull the back window out , totally naked in 5 min , fold it back and roll down the windows(by hand;)) everyday
Sponsored