Sponsored

Happy with the miles per gallon

• Thread starter Deleted member 52392
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Deleted member 52392

Just got back from a long trip in our 2021 Sport S. Left Idaho and drove to Mobile, Al. towing our sons pop-up tent camper then on to Nashville, Tn. Left there and back to Idaho. Put on over 5,000 miles and the over all mpg was 23.3. I can live with that!! :like::clap:;):beer::beer:
Sponsored

Dakota Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Gladiator Willys 3.0 Eco Diesel
Occupation
Pro Snipe Hunter
Just got back from a long trip in our 2021 Sport S. Left Idaho and drove to Mobile, Al. towing our sons pop-up tent camper then on to Nashville, Tn. Left there and back to Idaho. Put on over 5,000 miles and the over all mpg was 23.3. I can live with that!! :like::clap:;):beer::beer:
Was that gas or diesel?

Idlethunder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Do you have a gas or diesel? I'm betting diesel. My best was a 384 mile all interstate drive with a slight tail wind. Rubicon gas with stock 33s averaged 19.2 mpg doing 75

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Thatā€™s great. Funny thing is mine got terrible MPG till about 10k miles. Like 4 mpg below both city and hwy epa numbers. I was really disappointed. Then at around 10k miles I took it on its first long road trip. It was about six hours from Raleigh to Chattanooga. I got my typical terrible 17-18 mpg driving there. On the way back I got 22 mpg with the cruise on 80. It either broke in on the hwy trip, or it was me driving the piss out of it while I was there in manual mode between 4K and 6k rpm on manual mode for like 15 miles trying to keep up with a Chevy SS and a Civic Si on a very windy stretch of mtn roads. I donā€™t recommend doing that, but I had the off-road pages up and the water and oil and transmission temps barely moved. It could be a coincidence, but maybe and it worked great and it was definitely fun. We had the top off and the Alpine system blasting too. Hah.

itā€™s gotten 21-22 mpg hwy at 80 mph ever since and I have 285/70/18s on it. It gets 22-23 if I donā€™t go over 75. Iā€™m at 36k now and Itā€™s been very consistent.

Idlethunder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Thatā€™s great. Funny thing is mine got terrible MPG till about 10k miles. Like 4 mpg below both city and hwy epa numbers. I was really disappointed. Then at around 10k miles I took it on its first long road trip. It was about six hours from Raleigh to Chattanooga. I got my typical terrible 17-18 mpg driving there. On her way back I got 22 mpg with the cruise on 80. It either broke in on there hwy trip, or it was me driving the piss out of it while I was there in manual mode between 4K and 6k rpm on manual mode for like 15 miles trying to Lee up with a Chevy SS and a Civic Si on a very windy stretch of mtn roads. I donā€™t recommend doing that but I had the off-road pages up and the water and oil and transmission temps barely moved. It could be a coincidence, but maybe it worked great and it was definitely fun. We had the top off and the alpine system blasting too. Hah.

itā€™s gotten 21-22 mpg hwy at 80 mph ever since and I have 285/70/18s on it. It gets 22-23 if I donā€™t go over 75. Iā€™m at 36k now and Itā€™s been very consistent.
That is definitely something I've never tried to get better mileage but next time I've got a long drive, I may give it a shot!

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
That is definitely something I've never tried to get better mileage but next time I've got a long drive, I may give it a shot!
I definitely cannot promise it will work. Hah. I just think that my engine took a long time to break in and that finally broke it in.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 52392

Thatā€™s great. Funny thing is mine got terrible MPG till about 10k miles. Like 4 mpg below both city and hwy epa numbers. I was really disappointed. Then at around 10k miles I took it on its first long road trip. It was about six hours from Raleigh to Chattanooga. I got my typical terrible 17-18 mpg driving there. On the way back I got 22 mpg with the cruise on 80. It either broke in on the hwy trip, or it was me driving the piss out of it while I was there in manual mode between 4K and 6k rpm on manual mode for like 15 miles trying to keep up with a Chevy SS and a Civic Si on a very windy stretch of mtn roads. I donā€™t recommend doing that, but I had the off-road pages up and the water and oil and transmission temps barely moved. It could be a coincidence, but maybe and it worked great and it was definitely fun. We had the top off and the Alpine system blasting too. Hah.

WOW! That is super. We bought ours in July of 2021 and only have 20K on it but I am super happy so far with the whole package. We are running everything stock but we do want to do the 2.5 lift and go one size bigger in tires.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
WOW! That is super. We bought ours in July of 2021 and only have 20K on it but I am super happy so far with the whole package. We are running everything stock but we do want to do the 2.5 lift and go one size bigger in tires.
Kiss that mpg goodbye after your lift lol

we are walking a fine line with mpg on our Jeeps. The Jeep engineers actually did a remarkable job with wind resistance. Especially, considering what they were working with. If you need convincing, measure your mpg with the top off or roof panels out if you have a hard top. The 21-22 mpg I referenced at 80 drops to 15-16 mpg. HUGE difference.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its not unusual for a Sport S driven sedately, on street tires to get 22 mpg on a road trip.

I average about 17.5 mpg on road trips or in the city and about 19 mpg driving around rural areas.

I'm a stock Mojave with stock 285/70s.

KWin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise, BMW 328I, Toyota Tacoma, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Engineer
I find that if the transmission warms up the MPG improve alot. so trips over an hour long usually get me 2mpg better than a half hour trip even with identical driving conditions.
Sponsored