Sponsored

Has anyone else done this to their garage door ?

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys , 1993 F-150 Off Road RC SB
Occupation
Retired Mailman
My JT came with the hardtop,couldn't wait to get my soft top installed. Install went great and I was thinking I better check clearance into the garage with the top
folded back. Course I forgot.

Jeep Gladiator Has anyone else done this to their garage door ? 20210716_100224

Knocked it right out of the tracks and bent the hell out it .
This is actually a picture of after I straightened it out some.
No damage to the top ! Worked fine after the carnage.
Jeep Gladiator Has anyone else done this to their garage door ? 20210817_155143
Jeep Gladiator Has anyone else done this to their garage door ? 20210817_154931

Jeep Gladiator Has anyone else done this to their garage door ? 20210817_154732

I can't be the only one.
And guess what? I did it again but just a light tap . I blame that on the sun shade I put on that sometimes doesn't make it obvious the top is folded back. Jeez !
Sponsored

Cmikel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys Sport Gladiator
Occupation
Technology Director
Im a new owner and almost did that exact same thing a couple days ago but was fortunately saved by my fiance at the last minute. I'm glad your top is alright.
I'm not sure I will always remember and kind of worried I'm going to forget. I'm thinking a sign on the garage wall saying,
"Hey Stupid: Top Closed" might work but idk.

OP
OP
Junker21

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Mailman
Im a new owner and almost did that exact same thing a couple days ago but was fortunately saved by my fiance at the last minute. I'm glad your top is alright.
I'm not sure I will always remember and kind of worried I'm going to forget. I'm thinking a sign on the garage wall saying,
"Hey Stupid: Top Closed" might work but idk.
You know I don't care a bit about the whole "man bun " thing but this might be a real problem for me. Also be aware of those super low parking garages . Ha !

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Did something kind of similar. My old house had a Genie worm drive garage door that opened very fast. I got coniditioned to just pushing the open button and then back out. My new house has a Liftmaster opener that opens a lot slower then the Genie opener. First time backing out with my JKU, I slightly scratch the rear top of the hardtop because I backed out before the door was raised completely and just barley nicking the hardtop. :crying: Didn't hurt the garage door, but I did learn to look in the right side mirror to make sure the garage dooor is completely raised before I back out now.

Cmikel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys Sport Gladiator
Occupation
Technology Director
You know I don't care a bit about the whole "man bun " thing but this might be a real problem for me. Also be aware of those super low parking garages . Ha !
I think some hard toppers are jealous of the man bun. I love the convertible top. It gets way more use than some panels I would have to take out every time I wanted to drop the top. 30 seconds tops and I got an open air convertible truck. It's so awesome!

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I think some hard toppers are jealous of the man bun. I love the convertible top. It gets way more use than some panels I would have to take out every time I wanted to drop the top. 30 seconds tops and I got an open air convertible truck. It's so awesome!
I got a soft top as well, no need to be jealous, I just don't use it, a good example of why above among other things. If my hard top is off i can drive right into my garage with no issue, as well as if the panels are just removed.

OP
OP
Junker21

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Mailman
Did something kind of similar. My old house had a Genie worm drive garage door that opened very fast. I got coniditioned to just pushing the open button and then back out. My new house has a Liftmaster opener that opens a lot slower then the Genie opener. First time backing out with my JKU, I slightly scratch the rear top of the hardtop because I backed out before the door was raised completely and just barley nicking the hardtop. :crying: Didn't hurt the garage door, but I did learn to look in the right side mirror to make sure the garage dooor is completely raised before I back out now.
My door is sorta unreliable so I always check. Becomes a good habit. Also figured out I could use my back up camera to park just in the right spot! !

OP
OP
Junker21

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Mailman
Yes , Awesome!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I love big garage doors. (they require opener extensions, but so what?)

Garage -
Jeep Gladiator Has anyone else done this to their garage door ? 20210312_090308_HDR

Shop - 12x12 -
Jeep Gladiator Has anyone else done this to their garage door ? 3-jeeps-1a

My problem is backing my wife's GC in - it's not as wide an opening and I sometimes get really close.
One week after buying her 2021, I was setting up the opener for her. I had it working fine. I sat in her Jeep opening and closing the door to make sure the opener programming worked.
I gave the button a final push to open the door again - and started to back in - for some reason the door had STOPPED. Oh, boy - everyone hears about the tiny scratch I put on the hatch of her new Grand Cherokee.
Sponsored