Sponsored

Has anyone had good luck with Superchips or is there better tuning software that provides actual hp gains?

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
Superchips advertises the largest hp gains out of all of the tuning options, but it seems like everyone here has had some significant issues with this brand. What tuning software reliably provides more power with the 3.6L? I am thinking of bolting on a better muffler upstream to shorten the exhaust/add clearance and probably an intake later as well. (It seems like K&N and Banks provide the best bang for the buck, but I will try to focus on the tuning software here.)
Sponsored

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
You are not going to get any meaningful gains of any sort out of this N/A gas engine short of Turbo, Supercharger, or V8 conversion etc....anyone that tells you otherwise is selling 🐍 oil.

OP
OP
YayMud!

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
You are not going to get any meaningful gains of any sort out of this N/A gas engine short of Turbo, Supercharger, or V8 conversion etc....anyone that tells you otherwise is selling 🐍 oil.
What makes you say that? I come from 20+ years of tuning and racing cars and we have always been able to get significant gains out of N/A motors that were already supposedly tuned for "near maximum performance." I would imagine a basic Jeep motor would have all kinds of room for improvement.

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
When reading the OP, I was expecting to see the answer above, but not as the first reply!

OP: I am looking for a bit more HP for ~$200
Forum: Put in a HEMI at ~$50k ... :facepalm:

Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
What makes you say that? I come from 20+ years of tuning and racing cars and we have always been able to get significant gains out of N/A motors that were already supposedly tuned for "near maximum performance." I would imagine a basic Jeep motor would have all kinds of room for improvement.
I would agree that there is still much room for improvement, but the cost vs gain probably doesn't outweigh a well developed power adder vs keeping NA. That's why I'm waiting to see how the 2.0t, or even 4xe, does. If promising, I'll be trading up.

Livernois? Motorsports supposedly has a good tune, but even they have mixed reviews.

This may end up with mostly personal opinions and not much fact or reliable info, until the platform has had a few yrs in production. As with any new vehicle, worth upgrading, all the real good stuff comes out after the 2nd or 3rd yr of production, based on my observations.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
You can get considerable gains from a tune on these vehicles, especially if you’re willing to run premium or corn. Less so with 87, but you seem smart enough to understand that.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
When reading the OP, I was expecting to see the answer above, but not as the first reply!

OP: I am looking for a bit more HP for ~$200
Forum: Put in a HEMI at ~$50k ... :facepalm:
Love how that's usually one of the first responses, as if we're all able to do it on the flip of a dime lol

OP
OP
YayMud!

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
I would agree that there is still much room for improvement, but the cost vs gain probably doesn't outweigh a well developed power adder vs keeping NA. That's why I'm waiting to see how the 2.0t, or even 4xe, does. If promising, I'll be trading up.

Livernois? Motorsports supposedly has a good tune, but even they have mixed reviews.

This may end up with mostly personal opinions and not much fact or reliable info, until the platform has had a few yrs in production. As with any new vehicle, worth upgrading, all the real good stuff comes out after the 2nd or 3rd yr of production, based on my observations.
Just to be clear, I'm not looking for huge gains, just something to wake this thing up a bit. This engine has been out for over 3 years so I figured someone would have figured out an easy way to tune it by now. Maybe not. In the car world everyone uses a Cobb Accessport, but they clearly have not made their way into Jeep tuning yet. lol

You can get considerable gains from a tune on these vehicles, especially if you’re willing to run premium or corn. Less so with 87, but you seem smart enough to understand that.
Agreed. I always ran at least a 91 and 93 octane tune on my cars since 93 is hard to come by lately around here. I guess I just need to find a good Jeep tuner, if such a thing exists. Any recommendations?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Just to be clear, I'm not looking for huge gains, just something to wake this thing up a bit. This engine has been out for over 3 years so I figured someone would have figured out an easy way to tune it by now. Maybe not. In the car world everyone uses a Cobb Accessport, but they clearly have not made their way into Jeep tuning yet. lol

Agreed. I always ran at least a 91 and 93 octane tune on my cars since 93 is hard to come by lately around here. I guess I just need to find a good Jeep tuner, if such a thing exists. Any recommendations?
Livernois

Sponsored

OP
OP
YayMud!

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
Livernois
They don't have any specific tuner or software for our trucks. I see the option to buy a cable. Do they do road tunes or do I need to drive all the way to detroit to get on their dyno for a tune?

Deleted member 30519

They don't have any specific tuner or software for our trucks. I see the option to buy a cable. Do they do road tunes or do I need to drive all the way to detroit to get on their dyno for a tune?
I was holding off hoping someone would just make an OBD-ll tune but then I came across this on the livernois website "Beginning in 2015, the only way to tune a Mopar vehicle involves physical modifications to the computer to unlock the potential to retune your vehicle."

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Livernois has to unlock the PCM for each JT. You have to remove it and ship to them. The complete kit is the unlock, the tuner, and the patch cable which looks like the Security Gateway cable that Tazer has.
When you get the tuner, plug it in, download the stock tune and email to Livernois.

Here is where they aren't specific, once they have the stock tune they give you options to choose, but they don't say how many tunes you get for the price.
On my Explorer Sport I got 3 tunes plus my stock tune. But they spelled that out then.

OP
OP
YayMud!

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
There is probably just not a big enough market for anyone to invest in the effort to do it correctly yet. I heard this countless times in the performance car world. Remember the Nissan GT-R was claimed to be "impossible to tune" by Nissan? Now there are 2,000+ hp GT-R's running around.

OP
OP
YayMud!

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
Livernois has to unlock the PCM for each JT. You have to remove it and ship to them. The complete kit is the unlock, the tuner, and the patch cable which looks like the Security Gateway cable that Tazer has.
When you get the tuner, plug it in, download the stock tune and email to Livernois.

Here is where they aren't specific, once they have the stock tune they give you options to choose, but they don't say how many tunes you get for the price.
On my Explorer Sport I got 3 tunes plus my stock tune. But they spelled that out then.
Do they have stock ecms they have unlocked that they can ship like superchips so you have no down time with your truck? Do they have costs and performance gains on their site? I missed it.
Sponsored