Sponsored

Has anyone had good luck with Superchips or is there better tuning software that provides actual hp gains?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Do they have stock ecms they have unlocked that they can ship like superchips so you have no down time with your truck? Do they have costs and performance gains on their site? I missed it.
They used to list them, but no longer do.

Reading somewhere (here, JL forum, forget) that they started having problems doing that because the VIN wasn't in their PCM.
Sponsored

OP
OP
YayMud!

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
They used to list them, but no longer do.

Reading somewhere (here, JL forum, forget) that they started having problems doing that because the VIN wasn't in their PCM.
That's a bummer. I sent in the computer from my old car and did a road tune with a very well respected tuner and the tune they sent me was garbage. Spent the next month trying to get it fixed with more tuning.

MartinIT

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
casaalgarrobo.eu
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I have looked extensively at Livernois tune and I plan on installing it as soon as I am back in the US. Here is what I've found:
- no negative reviews (someone mentioned mixed reviews???)
- the tune is available for all Gladiator 3.6L gas engines (no e-torque engine is supported)
- the tune is available and it includes 87/91/93/E85 and stock tunes. transmission tune is also included (AT only)
- new unlocked PCM coded to your vehicle available at $300
- while HP gains have not been confirmed by the tune users I have talked to, significant improvement in drivability was
- reports indicate incredibly good customer support (and I can confirm that pre-sales support is superb)
- you also gain few configuration change options like tire size and TPMS (safe you few bucks on a Tazer if you only need these)
- Jeep service dept is generally not concerned with the unlocked PCM and the tune (I have seen no reports of issues)
- it takes a couple hundred miles for the new tune to fully be absorbed through the adaptive learning of the system (btw, this is the main issue when you see dyno results of before and after modification; no miles on the system between before and after)

I think that improved drivability in addition to considerable HP/torque increase (look at the dyno chart on the product page) is well worth the $700 here.

But these are just my observations so take them at your own risk.

OP
OP
YayMud!

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
I have looked extensively at Livernois tune and I plan on installing it as soon as I am back in the US. Here is what I've found:
- no negative reviews (someone mentioned mixed reviews???)
- the tune is available for all Gladiator 3.6L gas engines (no e-torque engine is supported)
- the tune is available and it includes 87/91/93/E85 and stock tunes. transmission tune is also included (AT only)
- new unlocked PCM coded to your vehicle available at $300
- while HP gains have not been confirmed by the tune users I have talked to, significant improvement in drivability was
- reports indicate incredibly good customer support (and I can confirm that pre-sales support is superb)
- you also gain few configuration change options like tire size and TPMS (safe you few bucks on a Tazer if you only need these)
- Jeep service dept is generally not concerned with the unlocked PCM and the tune (I have seen no reports of issues)
- it takes a couple hundred miles for the new tune to fully be absorbed through the adaptive learning of the system (btw, this is the main issue when you see dyno results of before and after modification; no miles on the system between before and after)

I think that improved drivability in addition to considerable HP/torque increase (look at the dyno chart on the product page) is well worth the $700 here.

But these are just my observations so take them at your own risk.
Are you back in the states yet and did you get the Livernois tune? I called them up the other week and it was exactly what you said. If I remember correctly he quoted about 26hp and similar torque gains at the peak and some areas in the power curve where it was up to 50+ hp difference.

That seems like a good gain to me that I will probably eventually do along with the K&N 63 Air charger cold air intake and AFE rock basher single exhaust. (The last two will probably give me more noticeable improvements in sound than anything else)

MartinIT

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
casaalgarrobo.eu
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
yes i am in the states but have not the Livernois yet. Definitely planning on doing it but in the early winter. i have just finished an extensive trip in the new Mojave with the AWE exhaust and S&B CAI and am leaving for Europe in 2 days; no time for the Livernois at the moment. The engine perf with AWE + S&B + Pedal Commander (Street +2) was definitely better than stock and actually quite adequate. For $700 I will want to get extra thou. The fuel consumption in the current configuration in above my expectations. I wonder if Livernoise will improve it further.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I have an AFE scorcher and was pretty impressed with the responsiveness I gained from it. I ended up taking it off because i decided my MPG was more important to me than the power...I do miss not having that odd lag when you first start off from a dead stop. But its nice to be back to 19-20mpg. Really it wasnt bad since I was getting 17-18 with the scorcher...im just neurotic and wanted to be back towards 20.

I have it for sale if youre interested. Feel free to shoot me a PM. its plug and play and I actually just got it back from AFE with the newest software for the JT.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
If you have a 2021, your operating system is significantly different, the calibrations from the previous year will not work as designed. If your tuner of choice is aware of that, they probably know something and can help. There is some potential in the 3.6L but it is a slippery slope when it comes to driveability. More so with the automatic. The calibration for the engine and trans is model based. The engine has three main models that run in conjunction with each other and the trans has two. They all need to be considered when making a change. For example: increasing the airflow in the model for the throttle will net a considerable and noticeable increase in responsiveness, but then the torque model will see the rapid slew in air and start putting the power caps on it earlier, that in turn has a knock on affect to the the trans torque model and it ratchets up its aggression counter and begins to shift more abruptly. I have seen two companies trie to tune the fuel enrichment tables and they do not understand them. They assume bigger numbers are better, but that table is an inverse calculation. They see more fuel because they run up on the fuel savers for ignition and catalyst temps, cause they severly leaned it out. Then driveability becomes less than ideal a couple weeks to a few months after it adapts. That is my two cents.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
If you have a 2021, your operating system is significantly different, the calibrations from the previous year will not work as designed. If your tuner of choice is aware of that, they probably know something and can help. There is some potential in the 3.6L but it is a slippery slope when it comes to driveability. More so with the automatic. The calibration for the engine and trans is model based. The engine has three main models that run in conjunction with each other and the trans has two. They all need to be considered when making a change. For example: increasing the airflow in the model for the throttle will net a considerable and noticeable increase in responsiveness, but then the torque model will see the rapid slew in air and start putting the power caps on it earlier, that in turn has a knock on affect to the the trans torque model and it ratchets up its aggression counter and begins to shift more abruptly. I have seen two companies trie to tune the fuel enrichment tables and they do not understand them. They assume bigger numbers are better, but that table is an inverse calculation. They see more fuel because they run up on the fuel savers for ignition and catalyst temps, cause they severly leaned it out. Then driveability becomes less than ideal a couple weeks to a few months after it adapts. That is my two cents.
I’m not questioning you, but do you have a source for this info? I like to dive into the technical details about this stuff.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not questioning you, but do you have a source for this info? I like to dive into the technical details about this stuff.
The source is me. I have persued doing my own calibration after I could no longer tolerate the one that came with my supercharger. I have done this type of work as my professional career for 20 years. These are the the things I have observed.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
The source is me. I have persued doing my own calibration after I could no longer tolerate the one that came with my supercharger. I have done this type of work as my professional career for 20 years. These are the the things I have observed.
Awesome work then. I’m slightly disappointed I don’t have a new stack of documentation to dig into, but my other projects are probably better off this way.

Sponsored

BBALL999

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Ford F250 Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Superchips advertises the largest hp gains out of all of the tuning options, but it seems like everyone here has had some significant issues with this brand. What tuning software reliably provides more power with the 3.6L? I am thinking of bolting on a better muffler upstream to shorten the exhaust/add clearance and probably an intake later as well. (It seems like K&N and Banks provide the best bang for the buck, but I will try to focus on the tuning software here.)
Try the IDrive throttle controller...

think you will be surprised at the results.

Wally's Dad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Estimator, Preconstruction Manager

PeterGriffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
(re)tired...!
While getting additional performance out of a N/A V-6 via tuning, bolt-ons, etc. is do-able, the results are going to be relatively limited and there's no way around that. If you went big with heads, cam, forged bottom end and higher compression pistons you might as well slap a supercharger on instead for about the same, if not less, money and call it a day. Since you mentioned "20+ years of tuning and racing" experience I'd assume you know this but in the same breath you mention K&N intakes...so, ummm, yeah...

ANYWAY, as someone already mentioned, check out KurtP's thread which is very informative or search the LX Forums and it's sister forums for people that have taken the 3.6 Pentastar to much higher levels of performance. DAVECS1 has likewise posted excellent REAL information regarding his tuning trials and tribulations which far exceed the one-dimensional viewpoint afforded by a dyno graph that people love to hang their hats on. It's a N/A 6K pound off-road vehicle NOT a twin-turbo supercar and bringing the GT-R/tuning into the conversation makes about zero sense, just like putting 91 or 93 octane in a vehicle that runs on 87 will have ZERO gains without tuning it accordingly; I'd assume if you have 20+ years of tuning and racing experience you'd know that too.

I'd suggest you give Occam's Razor a shot and start with a Pedal Commander or iDrive throttle controller...

OP
OP
YayMud!

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
While getting additional performance out of a N/A V-6 via tuning, bolt-ons, etc. is do-able, the results are going to be relatively limited and there's no way around that. If you went big with heads, cam, forged bottom end and higher compression pistons you might as well slap a supercharger on instead for about the same, if not less, money and call it a day. Since you mentioned "20+ years of tuning and racing" experience I'd assume you know this but in the same breath you mention K&N intakes...so, ummm, yeah...

ANYWAY, as someone already mentioned, check out KurtP's thread which is very informative or search the LX Forums and it's sister forums for people that have taken the 3.6 Pentastar to much higher levels of performance. DAVECS1 has likewise posted excellent REAL information regarding his tuning trials and tribulations which far exceed the one-dimensional viewpoint afforded by a dyno graph that people love to hang their hats on. It's a N/A 6K pound off-road vehicle NOT a twin-turbo supercar and bringing the GT-R/tuning into the conversation makes about zero sense, just like putting 91 or 93 octane in a vehicle that runs on 87 will have ZERO gains without tuning it accordingly; I'd assume if you have 20+ years of tuning and racing experience you'd know that too.

I'd suggest you give Occam's Razor a shot and start with a Pedal Commander or iDrive throttle controller...
Yes, I am very familiar with tuning and racing cars. As I also mentioned, I am not looking for huge gains. I am simply trying to find a reputable tuner who knows what they are doing so they can extract a bit more power out of the Jeep.

It is starting to sound like a lost cause though since every recommended tuner I have talked to so far does not have a ton of experience with this engine or has trouble with the engine keeping a tune. Surprising, since it has been out since 2018, but at the same time, not a huge shock since Jeep people seem more interested in who has the biggest tires than actual performance. And that is fine since I will always have a fast car in the stable for performance. I was just trying to find someone who could make this thing feel like not such a pooch. Much easier to do in the car world.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can tune it, but you would have to buy an unlocked ECM package from HP. There are gains to be made but you will run better fuel and the shift tables will need work
Sponsored