Having second thoughts

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
My every day drive for 17 years was always F250s. No the Gladiator is not the same truck. Interior room is around half, 250 tows 14,000. The Gladiator is fun easy to park, better gas mileage and way more fun. I do not regret my purchase at all. 3 months 4800 miles no problems and a lot more fun. Today we are going driving on the beach, the F250 was 4X4 nut was to heavy if you spun a tire you were stuck.
15-18 psi in the tires and the Gladiator does great climbing sand dunes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jobofly

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
I'm never going to tell someone to go spend as much money as a Gladiator costs, the price of a new truck is ridiculous these days.

That being said, I'm picking up a Sport S Max Tow soon for the purpose of trips with my wife, my 16 and 13 year olds and my 2 50 lb dogs. I've been doing it in a JKU (4 door wrangler) and could fit them all into that. The back seat of the Gladiator is bigger than the JKU so works for me.

I'd ask the dealer if you can borrow one for longer than a quick drive, see if you can drive one for an afternoon and take a short road trip with the kids. (I got a softopper for my bed so I can keep the dogs covered when driving around.)
that’s great that they all fit comfortably. I was actually thinking of removing the rear seat storage box so my dog can lay on the floor under the seat.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
My every day drive for 17 years was always F250s. No the Gladiator is not the same truck. Interior room is around half, 250 tows 14,000. The Gladiator is fun easy to park, better gas mileage and way more fun. I do not regret my purchase at all. 3 months 4800 miles no problems and a lot more fun. Today we are going driving on the beach, the F250 was 4X4 nut was to heavy if you spun a tire you were stuck.
I’m taking mine to Cape Cod the week after next. I’ve never driven on the beach but would like to try it if I can find one and get the permits in time. I’ll have to do some research but all I really know at this point is I will have to let air out. I don’t know how much and I’m guessing the amount changes based on the type of sand you encounter. Any advice is appreciated. Right now my instrument panel says I’m at 41 and it was picked up from the dealer last week new.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
that’s great that they all fit comfortably. I was actually thinking of removing the rear seat storage box so my dog can lay on the floor under the seat.
I took the storage bin out. It’s good for the dog and easier for cargo inside. I do see the benefit if you carried stuff back there. I may get something that I can move in and out easily that isn’t bolted down.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
To be clear, in the Wrangler one dog is on the seat between kids, the other is in the “way back” and in the truck that means one or both will be in a kennel in the bed.

Sponsored

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
Was a "jeep guy" for years until practicality reared its ugly head. Keep in mind this was before creature comforts were a priority (air conditioning, staying dry and warm in the rain, being able to haul more than a deflated beach ball and so on.).
Had several full size and mid size trucks. Last out was a Tundra which I loved but the gladiator I loved more. I don't tow heavy very far anymore. and I always enjoyed having a vehicle that was out of the ordinary. I have 11000 + miles and no issues but judging from others reported experience a good test drive is in order.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
so my F150 has a max tow capacity of 7600 pounds. As fast as that goes it will do the same. I guess my concern is the back seat. I have a 9 year old and a 12 year old along with a 50lb dog and we go camping a lot.

I’ve driven 2000 mile round trip, trip home was straight through 1000 miles in one day. My 16 year old 5’9”es and had no issues, she was comfy. She likes it much better than the JKUHR. We only stopped 4 times on the way back.

The key is to carry all your gear in the back of the truck or roof top carrier. Only have a couple of pillows a blanket and iPad back there. I find the back seat in the Gladiator way more comfortable than the JK even with recline kit for rear seats on the JK.

Jeep Gladiator Having second thoughts 26BF5D4B-E61A-4928-B108-243177823586

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I’ve driven 2000 mile round trip, trip home was straight through 1000 miles in one day. My 16 year old 5’9”es and had no issues, she was comfy. She likes it much better than the JKUHR. We only stopped 4 times on the way back.

The key is to carry all your gear in the back of the truck or roof top carrier. Only have a couple of pillows a blanket and iPad back there. I find the back seat in the Gladiator way more comfortable than the JK even with recline kit for rear seats on the JK.
This. My kids will appreciate the back seat... and it has AC vents back there now! I don't have to blast it in the front to try and blow a new temperature back there. (I also got the 8.4" Premium Audio Package which put 2 USB ports and an actual invert plug back there for them to charge their devices.)

JustKip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Nope
Love my sport Gladiator Max tow greatest machine since our 1953 Jeep truck. Glad To get another one.
I had a '53 Willys truck for a few years. It was way up in the cool factor, but a PITA to drive. The cab was very cramped (I'm 6'-1" and was 240 lbs then), and I had fantasies about having a body shop splice on part of a Willys wagon to make a crew cab...which would have made a Gladiator for only twice the money, except that it had a top cruising speed of 50mph. TBH, Gladiator isn't nearly as cool, but the Willys wasn't suited to driving modern roads.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I had a '53 Willys truck for a few years. It was way up in the cool factor, but a PITA to drive. The cab was very cramped (I'm 6'-1" and was 240 lbs then), and I had fantasies about having a body shop splice on part of a Willys wagon to make a crew cab...which would have made a Gladiator for only twice the money, except that it had a top cruising speed of 50mph. TBH, Gladiator isn't nearly as cool, but the Willys wasn't suited to driving modern roads.
My dream truck as a teenager was an old Willys truck, knowing that a 3 speed was going to be a bad time on the highway. "Modern" roads have been too modern for those old trucks for a long time now. (c;

Sponsored

JustKip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Nope
My dream truck as a teenager was an old Willys truck, knowing that a 3 speed was going to be a bad time on the highway. "Modern" roads have been too modern for those old trucks for a long time now. (c;
Mine too. I was a teenager in the '70s, and bought my '53 in '90. I had the Warn Overdrive, which made it capable of 60mph+, but the rear axle's 538 gears didn't survive that. But it was cool playing Indiana Jones for 5 years. The guy I sold it to, along with the wagon, was 6'-9" and 350 lbs. He couldn't get into the cab at all, but was committed to doing the cab splice I mentioned. I don't think it ever happened.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
... committed to doing the cab splice I mentioned. I don't think it ever happened.
The story of my automotive restoration life. I'm old enough now to realize that I'm not a vehicle restoration guy after all. I'm pretty good with sawdust and wood shavings though.

JustKip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Nope
The story of my automotive restoration life. I'm old enough now to realize that I'm not a vehicle restoration guy after all. I'm pretty good with sawdust and wood shavings though.
I see you're in Longmont. I'm planning to relocate more permanently to FoCo in a few weeks.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I see you're in Longmont. I'm planning to relocate more permanently to FoCo in a few weeks.
Awesome, welcome to Colorado. Be aware, we have fires too... its rainy today and the first time I've seen clear skies in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored