First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 1997 Land Rover Defender, 2018 Q7 Audi
Occupation
Reitired
I just took delivery (pictures coming) of a 2020 Gladiator Overland. First trip was from Stuart, FL to Jacksonville. 237 miles one way and about 3.5 hours. Did round trip in 1.5 days. While running up and down i-95 (outside temp 89 F) Air running on Auto or NOT on Auto, set at 70 for inside, Heat started coming out from under the dash.

Both sides of the cockpit floor. So it was cold air coming out of the Dash Air vents and heat coming out from under the dash some place. Would last about 10 min than stop and would be well for another hour or so, and than it did the same thing. Trying to explain or trouble shoot this with a Tec at Jeep, will be very hard to duplicate at the dealers.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do?

Bob
Sponsored

Han Amj

First Name
Han
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ad4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SandRunner
This also happens with the JL and JLU as well. Where i live it gets up to 49 C and the air coming from underneath the dash is hot as hell! On my JLU i pulled the socket from the flap control behind the glove box as a temporary fix (not recommended but necessary) I haven't gotten the chance to see if the same works for my JT.

I've been suffering from this for over a year now and no fix yet if even this is a problem to begin with. To replicate, cruise at highway speed for twenty min with AC on and it will most differently happen.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I've had that happen occasionally but I haven't really given it much more than a passing thought

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Same with my JTR. Outside air opens up and brings in outside air (which is hot and humid here in SE Alabama at the moment). Occurs every 45 minutes or so and lasts no more than a couple minutes on mine. Definitely something in the programming. Probably something an engineer thought was a great idea...while he sat in his office in northern MI where the temp hits 80F, maybe 2 days/yr.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There are likely three other threads on this - if it's coming out on a regular interval, like very 30 or 40 minutes, it's by design. Otherwise, there was a TSB (at least for Wrangler) on a loose connection - but I'd expect that to have been fixed by now.
Check the other threads - some go on for dozens of pages, on this.

My bet is that you have run into the design of this - to introduce outside air, and perhaps even defrost the AC evaporator.
Especially since it's a regular interval - time it next time.

People just aren't used to the new systems in some cases.............

Everyone is an arm-chair engineer and knows better - rather than understanding the reasoning, or even necessity in some cases.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
There are likely three other threads on this - if it's coming out on a regular interval, like very 30 or 40 minutes, it's by design. Otherwise, there was a TSB (at least for Wrangler) on a loose connection - but I'd expect that to have been fixed by now.

My bet is that you have run into the design of this - to introduce outside air, and perhaps even defrost the AC evaporator.

Everyone is an arm-chair engineer and knows better - rather than understanding the reasoning, or even necessity in some cases.
It's easier to make a new thread

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
This reminds me of a conversation I've been having since I was in high school:

Dude: There's something wrong with my car. When I turn on the defroster, the A/C pump engages.

Me: It's supposed to do that. The A/C dries the air.

Dude: I don't think so.

Me: Well, whether you think so or not, that's the way it is.

Dude: Something is wrong with my car!

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland

So here's the deal (IMO), I've had several vehicles back to back with auto climate control before this. The JT auto climate control is flawed. On every other vehicle I've had with auto climate control, you can set it to 70 degrees (or whatever you prefer), no matter what season or outside temp and it will maintain that like the thermostat in your home. My JT works fairly well except on days where its around 70 degrees. It will turn on the heat unnecessarily or not really do much at all and I have to over ride it so its not so stuffy in the cabin. I mentioned it during my first service, hoping their was a software update or something and I got the "its normal, they're all like that".

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
So here's the deal (IMO), I've had several vehicles back to back with auto climate control before this. The JT auto climate control is flawed. On every other vehicle I've had with auto climate control, you can set it to 70 degrees (or whatever you prefer), no matter what season or outside temp and it will maintain that like the thermostat in your home. My JT works fairly well except on days where its around 70 degrees. It will turn on the heat unnecessarily or not really do much at all and I have to over ride it so its not so stuffy in the cabin. I mentioned it during my first service, hoping their was a software update or something and I got the "its normal, they're all like that".
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/auto-climate-doesnt-seem-to-work.27297/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/auto-climate-control-not-controlling-well.18188/

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I've had that happen occasionally but I haven't really given it much more than a passing thought
Just got back from a 2000-mile road trip; first road trip since getting Gladiator in July. AC in use the whole time.

I was driving, wife in passenger seat. Every so often she would complain that a "blast of hot air" would come in from the floor vents. I did not experience that on my side.

Overland with the "climate control" AC. Did not have it in Auto mode at any time. Curious if an issue or not. Does not seem right.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I agree with this. Maybe it’s designed this way, maybe there is a loose connection, maybe the software is messed up, maybe something with some of HVAC systems and they are bad.

Either way this is the suckiest HVAC I have had. Currently we have a new Highlander and new accord also. Both auto climate control, they always keep me comfortable, no random heat waves sporadically. I have to battle with this thing to be comfortable... it shouldn’t be that way!

Also I think it’s stupid to have an auto and a auto manual(this is really actually auto also) mode only, without a true manual mode in a vehicle that the top comes off....

My system doesn’t know what the hell to do when the top is off or the doors are off...

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Also I think it’s stupid to have an auto and a auto manual(this is really actually auto also) mode only, without a true manual mode in a vehicle that the top comes off....
I noticed that on "manual" it still seems to act a little like "auto".

Also, is it my imagination, or does it sometimes come on by itself, when I have it turned off?

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I noticed that on "manual" it still seems to act a little like "auto".

Also, is it my imagination, or does it sometimes come on by itself, when I have it turned off?
Its actually a "auto" mode that you can manually change "one" of the parameters but then all others adjust automatically....

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I appreciate you taking the time to provide those links, I've actually read those threads before. However, I'm not sure if there is a point that you are trying to make. I'm well aware of how these systems are supposed to work and the fact that the auto setting won't blow much air won't come on until the engine is warmed up enough to provide adequate heating or cooling. Every auto system I've had works like that and it makes sense to me.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from a 2000-mile road trip; first road trip since getting Gladiator in July. AC in use the whole time.

I was driving, wife in passenger seat. Every so often she would complain that a "blast of hot air" would come in from the floor vents. I did not experience that on my side.

Overland with the "climate control" AC. Did not have it in Auto mode at any time. Curious if an issue or not. Does not seem right.
My Overland also does this. The system periodically opens the outside air flap for a couple minutes. It appears to be programmed into the system. It is probably to keep the air from getting stale, and to keep the coil from freezing up.

I run it in manual AC/Recirc mode year round. I keep it at 67° when I want cold air from the vents during warm weather, and adjust the temp a few degrees up or down to get the amount of heat I want when it's cold. I don't send air to the floor, and rarely need the defroster here.
Sponsored