High pitched noise from engine compartment

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Does anyone else notice a high pitched constant noise coming from their engine when in Idle? Not sure if it is the heater. Thanks.
Sponsored

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
Just noticed this today, Iā€™ve only got a few hundred miles, just going to monitor to see if it subsides, it eventually does go away, then it comes back at seemingly cold starts, but it does not sound harmful, hoping it fixes itself šŸ¤£

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just noticed this today, Iā€™ve only got a few hundred miles, just going to monitor to see if it subsides, it eventually does go away, then it comes back at seemingly cold starts, but it does not sound harmful, hoping it fixes itself šŸ¤£
Most like your alternator, especially if you have the tow package

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development

Sponsored

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Sometimes at a stoplight I hear a very faint high pitch noise that comes and goes. I have to have my radio off to hear it. I thought it was hvac related but can't be sure.

BackcountryNV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Ecommerce
I have this as well in my 2021 Sport S (no max tow) with 2k miles on it. Has anyone confirmed what it is? Was thinking of taking it back to the dealer, it is almost always whining at idle now.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I have this as well in my 2021 Sport S (no max tow) with 2k miles on it. Has anyone confirmed what it is? Was thinking of taking it back to the dealer, it is almost always whining at idle now.
Hi @BackcountryNV,

If you decide to have this checked out by a dealer, please feel free to message our team for support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

jaxonawain

First Name
Jakson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm at 1.7k miles on a 2022 rubicon and mine still whines when turning the wheel. I've been in contact (and keeping track) with dealer just in case it's a recall kind of thing, I'm thinking about just waiting to see if its something that needs to settle. I'd rather them not replace anything until required, I feel like the more times you take something apart, the more brittle it becomes

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Power steering pump is electric - so there's a motor there, plus hydraulic pumps can whine at times. When turning the wheel, increased pressure is called for, more load on the electric pump, more noise from the hydraulic pump side of it.

Alternators should not "whine" - unless under a load, like kicking out a lot of amperage. Even then, a whine can be an indication of a diode issue. One way to tell of stator or diode issues in older alternators was to put a heavy load on them and listen closely. An experienced tech with good hearing can detect problems by the sound.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I'm at 1.7k miles on a 2022 rubicon and mine still whines when turning the wheel. I've been in contact (and keeping track) with dealer just in case it's a recall kind of thing, I'm thinking about just waiting to see if its something that needs to settle. I'd rather them not replace anything until required, I feel like the more times you take something apart, the more brittle it becomes
If you need support while at the dealer, jaxonawain, we're happy to help. Our team is in private message to discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored