Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The non-tow package still has a tow bar, but doesn’t have a receiver box. I honestly can’t say for certain, but I think mine still has a 7,000 lb tow rating. Here are some pictures (ignore the damage to the plastic caused by using a trailer with too steep and angle). Obviously the ball I’m using is only rated at 5,000.

5AEC2A8D-9B84-4ABF-B7FB-47BF390C1016.jpeg

76917CB4-50FC-4639-8743-F191D9C7BA13.jpeg

7A2D625B-6042-44B6-969A-F911374D091A.jpeg
Thanks! I really appreciate the education on this one. I guess I figured it was done differently but this makes total sense - it's still basically a ball at the bumper - but only in appearance as it's still attached to the bar below. Got it.

It's another good day - learned something new............
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Thanks! I really appreciate the education on this one. I guess I figured it was done differently but this makes total sense - it's still basically a ball at the bumper - but only in appearance as it's still attached to the bar below. Got it.

It's another good day - learned something new............
I just did a little more research. My tow rating is 7,000 lbs, but this is a class II hitch, so probably limited to 3,500 lbs. I specifically didn’t order the tow package because I wanted extra clearance, and I won’t be towing anything heavy.

miwim

First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I installed one of those. just removed the rear bumper so you don't need to drill.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Possibly silly question: Why not just replace the installed hitch with the factory 2" receiver hitch?

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's the factory style hitch so I wouldn't be modifying anything. It's three bolts. Two on the back side and one at the top where you would put a ball in the bumper. I Just don't want to look at the bolt and hole at the top right infront of the license plate.
Based on what you have said, I'm guessing you have something like this Curt hitch.

if you follow this link you can see customer photos where they cut a hole in the bumper.

You can also see photos where they removed the bumper skin and did not cut a hole in the plastic.
There is a good bit of discussion of this in the comments.

The short answer is you can install it without cutting a hole in the plastic if you remove the bumper skin.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Jeep/Gladiator/2021/CU74FR.html?VehicleID=2021119527

Jeep Gladiator Hitch install? Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 7.58.54 AM

OP
OP

Dallas91

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Silverado ltz
Based on what you have said, I'm guessing you have something like this Curt hitch.

if you follow this link you can see customer photos where they cut a hole in the bumper.

You can also see photos where they removed the bumper skin and did not cut a hole in the plastic.
There is a good bit of discussion of this in the comments.

The short answer is you can install it without cutting a hole in the plastic if you remove the bumper skin.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Jeep/Gladiator/2021/CU74FR.html?VehicleID=2021119527

Yes I do have the curt hitch. I have seen folks with the non rubicon steel bumpers remove the bumper to install its the rubicon steel bumper that's making it more of a challenge. Thanks for the link. I'll do some digging there.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I do have the curt hitch. I have seen folks with the non rubicon steel bumpers remove the bumper to install its the rubicon steel bumper that's making it more of a challenge. Thanks for the link. I'll do some digging there.
Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

I always try to buy from eTrailer. Their support is fantastic.

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Jeep Gladiator Mojave
The non-tow package still has a tow bar, but doesn’t have a receiver box. I honestly can’t say for certain, but I think mine still has a 7,000 lb tow rating. Here are some pictures (ignore the damage to the plastic caused by using a trailer with too steep and angle). Obviously the ball I’m using is only rated at 5,000.

[/QUOTE]
Do you recall the shank length and diameter of the ball you're using? I'm gonna go the drill-into-plastic-bumper-to-install-ball route, like in those final few pics of yours 👍
Sponsored