Sponsored

Honest Conversation: How would a 4XE JT compare to the diesel?

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I used to make fun of the Chevy Volt because it got about 40-60 miles per charge. Ridiculous to even make a car like that. Just as ridiculous is making a hybrid Jeep that the batteries will only lend about 1 mpg difference between it and the regular gas model. Why bother? Throw in how much heavier the vehicle is, and that in 4 years you'll likely be dealing with getting new batteries and the loss of your under-the-back-seat storage, and it just adds up to a lose-lose for me.
Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Short trips aren't the issue with EVs, and haven't been for awhile now. But if you're traveling outside of the range that your EV can produce, you'll have to find a charge station, and hang out for awhile.

Yes, this might not be a big deal to some, but it's definitely a limiting factor. I'm planning an 8000 mile road trip this summer... if I had an EV, it'd definitely tack on a lot more hours of waiting around for my EV to charge.
great point, but will the industry stay stagnant because 1 in 1,000,000 people take longer trips? Unlikely. Those who take long trips will buy a used gaser and plan their trip to hit gas stations when needed.

People said the same thing with email and ordering things online. Look at what COVID in the last year alone has done to amazons revenue. Look at Tesla stock... the numbers donā€™t lie.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used to make fun of the Chevy Volt because it got about 40-60 miles per charge. Ridiculous to even make a car like that. Just as ridiculous is making a hybrid Jeep that the batteries will only lend about 1 mpg difference between it and the regular gas model. Why bother? Throw in how much heavier the vehicle is, and that in 4 years you'll likely be dealing with getting new batteries and the loss of your under-the-back-seat storage, and it just adds up to a lose-lose for me.
have your heard About issues with Prius batteries? Anyone complain about them yet? They have been out for years and itā€™s been Plenty quiet considering you are saying batteries will only last 4 years?

most hybrid batteries are warrantied to last 8-10 years and up to 100k miles . Many last double that

these arent your normal starting batteries that have a shorter lifespan

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
great point, but will the industry stay stagnant because 1 in 1,000,000 people take longer trips? Unlikely. Those who take long trips will buy a used gaser and plan their trip to hit gas stations when needed.

People said the same thing with email and ordering things online. Look at what COVID in the last year alone has done to amazons revenue. Look at Tesla stock... the numbers donā€™t lie.
I think 1 in 1,000,000 is a bit of a stretch, but I'm not even talking long road trips. I know plenty of people that do 100+ miles each day commuting to work. Let's say you need to make a stop somewhere out of the way, you have to factor in do you have enough after you've gone to work, then from work to wherever, then back home?

Again, I think it definitely needs to add in some thought as opposed to "oh, I'm low on gas--let me find a gas station to stop at and fill up in a few minutes"

M390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Ecodiesel
1 to 10 Teslaā€™s to hellcats?? Iā€™m not sure where you live but there are teslas everywhere and Iā€™ve only seen a couple Hellcats. Seems quite the stretch to me.

who needs to fill the car in 90 seconds when you can do it from your home every night or as needed? These are already approaching the 500 mile mark and the batteries aren even fully optimized yet.
Not remotely a stretch where I live. Probably more like 15-20 Hellcats to 1 Tesla.
Battery ranges almost never live up to their figures. They never go as far as what they advertise and their ability to hit max range dwindles over time with each subsequent charge cycle. Gas and oil burners arenā€™t going anywhere for a very long time. Iā€™m sure weā€™ll see advancements in what battery powered vehicles can do but the folks thinking that in 10 yrs time new vehicles will all be hybrids or full electric for that matter? Pipe dream...
The claims by vehicle manufacturers that they will be full electric in the next few yrs is little more than pandering to the current political administration.
You get another conservative in there and the all the sudden the all electric chatter slows to a trickle.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not remotely a stretch where I live. Probably more like 15-20 Hellcats to 1 Tesla.
Battery ranges almost never live up to their figures. They never go as far as what they advertise and their ability to hit max range dwindles over time with each subsequent charge cycle. Gas and oil burners arenā€™t going anywhere for a very long time. Iā€™m sure weā€™ll see advancements in what battery powered vehicles can do but the folks thinking that in 10 yrs time new vehicles will all be hybrids or full electric for that matter? Pipe dream...
The claims by vehicle manufacturers that they will be full electric in the next few yrs is little more than pandering to the current political administration.
You get another conservative in there and the all the sudden the all electric chatter slows to a trickle.
Letā€™s look at the statistics... so there have been 56,706 Hellcats made to date, and 1,430,000 Teslaā€™s so far.

thatā€™s about a 1:25 ratio of vehicles on the street Hellcats to Teslaā€™s..... very interesting how some perceive things especially when compared to statistics.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
have your heard About issues with Prius batteries? Anyone complain about them yet? They have been out for years and itā€™s been Plenty quiet considering you are saying batteries will only last 4 years?

most hybrid batteries are warrantied to last 8-10 years and up to 100k miles . Many last double that

these arent your normal starting batteries that have a shorter lifespan
Instead of being a hybrid apologist, why don't you try addressing the other issues I mentioned? Maybe because there isn't a good answer for them....you're not buying anything except about 1 mpg which completely negates the reason for going hybrid in the first place....and, you've lost your back seat storage completely, I'm guessing, I haven't seen one of these but where else are you going to store the batteries?

M390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Ecodiesel
Letā€™s look at the statistics... so there have been 56,706 Hellcats made to date, and 1,430,000 Teslaā€™s so far.

thatā€™s about a 1:25 ratio of vehicles on the street Hellcats to Teslaā€™s..... very interesting how some perceive things especially when compared to statistics.
Show me a statistic on where they ended up geographically and it might mean something.
80% of Teslas are probably in Commiefornia...
I said where I live. Youā€˜re being way too literal, Hellcat was just an example for any gas/diesel powered vehicle. Which outnumber Teslaā€™s, or any other electric vehicle by a ridiculously huge margin and will for the foreseeable future.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Instead of being a hybrid apologist, why don't you try addressing the other issues I mentioned? Maybe because there isn't a good answer for them....you're not buying anything except about 1 mpg which completely negates the reason for going hybrid in the first place....and, you've lost your back seat storage completely, I'm guessing, I haven't seen one of these but where else are you going to store the batteries?

Seriously, this is just fiat/Jeep putting their foot in the door for an EV. Personally I am happy that the Jeep is such an icon that they are willing to make an EV place for an open top Jeep.

I wouldnā€™t buy the wrangler in this current EV form because it doesnā€™t suit my needs. I am betting that it will soon though. I think the JT will as well.

For some this Wrangler 4XE does suit their needs and wants. I hope Jeep sells every one of them.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Show me a statistic on where they ended up geographically and it might mean something.
80% of Teslas are probably in Commiefornia...
I said where I live. Youā€˜re being way too literal, Hellcat was just an example for any gas/diesel powered vehicle. Which outnumber Teslaā€™s, or any other electric vehicle by a ridiculously huge margin and will for the foreseeable future.
Ahhh, texas, that makes sense...

edit: but wait, it doesnā€™t....
Your right Cali is #1 for Tesla sales
#2 Florida
#3 Washington

But........ #4 is........

TEXAS!!! Are you disappointed in your state ?? 8.3% of all Teslaā€™s sold in Texas. Donā€™t know if you heard the news but Tesla moved to texas. Musk hates Cali.

my state of Virginia didnā€™t even make The top 10

RobertRinAustin

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU
You're completely missing the point and your point is nonsense. According to Energy.gov, about 75% of all automotive trips are less than 10 miles. Even assuming these are round trips, that means about 75% of all trips could be done on electric alone, or these trips can be done in hybrid mode which yields 50 empg.

As I've said, there are plenty of reasons to not get a PHEV, especially from the legacy FCA team.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
itā€™s not about the significant mpg increase, its the fact you can:
1) rock crawl in complete EV mode, instant torque.
2) if your commune is within 10 miles, you can go to and from work on likely NO gas. Most of my coworkers... like 75% like within that range.
3) backseat storage... probably your best argument.

Torque:Those who have the diesel gladiator race about it because of the 442 lbs of torque.... well the 4xe has 470, which is the same as the 392. Some 4xes have been dynoā€™d and getting 485 of torque. Whats not impressive about that?

quietness: itā€™s something about driving a car and only hearing the tires on the ground. Iā€™m sure this would be good in some hunting applications applications just like why some guys use electric ORVs

Shifting: donā€™t feel that with the 4xe
Sponsored