Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I believe the Ram and JeeP 3.0 gen 3 is built in the US, can’t remember what city though.
The 3.0L VM Motori (EcoDiesel) is built in Cento, Italy.
Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I know the Gen 2 was, but the Gen 3 for the America’s is being built in the US. Not saying there are not engine parts shipped from Italy.
I’ll check which city it is and then post it.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I know the Gen 2 was, but the Gen 3 for the America’s is being built in the US. Not saying there are not engine parts shipped from Italy.
I’ll check which city it is and then post it.
You're probably confusing it with where the truck is built (Sterling Heights Assembly Plant). I know for a fact that the 3rd gen EcoDiesel is built at the Cento pant (Italy).

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Not confused with that. I’ll post the city tomorrow.

Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yes it is. I was not able to confirm with the Chrysler person who told me this so I either misunderstood or he was mistaken.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Yes it is. I was not able to confirm with the Chrysler person who told me this so I either misunderstood or he was mistaken.
Some day, you should take a look at all the stickers and other markings on your engine that say "Made in Italy" all over it.

BayouKid

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Various and sundry IT stuff
Here's a snap from the window sticker of the Gladiator that I took delivery of two days ago. The engine is still very much Italian (and the transmission is German):

Jeep Gladiator How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 5.28.23 PM

The engine is a VM Motori L630 and is shared by other cars—notably some Maseratis.

Mike

BayouKid

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Various and sundry IT stuff
OP's original math is pretty good, but I think it leaves out another key detail: resale value.

My guess is that, all other things equal, the diesel JT's will have higher resale value than the gas version. Opinions will vary, of course, but in the truck world that has certainly been the case. Some years back I sold a Sierra 2500 with a Duramax (with almost 240,000 miles on it), and the truck was worth almost twice what it would have been with the gas motor.

I have no idea if that will be the case for these trucks. For me, it was worth taking the chance because I wanted the extra torque. My wife has a 2 door '17 JK with the Pentastar and a stick shift, and it does fine ... but when I test drove the JT with the gas motor, it felt a bit too puggish for my liking.

That said, I acknowledge that the Diesel engine will cost a bit more to maintain ... but on long trips, I'll be thankful for the better mileage.

Speaking of which ... yesterday I did the run from Baton Rouge to New Orleans in my day-old JT. It ate up the highway wonderfully, and according to the gauge I was averaging about 27 mpg. There's no way in hell I'd ever get that mileage out of my wife's JK.

Mike

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
OP's original math is pretty good, but I think it leaves out another key detail: resale value.

My guess is that, all other things equal, the diesel JT's will have higher resale value than the gas version. Opinions will vary, of course, but in the truck world that has certainly been the case. Some years back I sold a Sierra 2500 with a Duramax (with almost 240,000 miles on it), and the truck was worth almost twice what it would have been with the gas motor.

I have no idea if that will be the case for these trucks. For me, it was worth taking the chance because I wanted the extra torque. My wife has a 2 door '17 JK with the Pentastar and a stick shift, and it does fine ... but when I test drove the JT with the gas motor, it felt a bit too puggish for my liking.

That said, I acknowledge that the Diesel engine will cost a bit more to maintain ... but on long trips, I'll be thankful for the better mileage.

Speaking of which ... yesterday I did the run from Baton Rouge to New Orleans in my day-old JT. It ate up the highway wonderfully, and according to the gauge I was averaging about 27 mpg. There's no way in hell I'd ever get that mileage out of my wife's JK.

Mike
Great points Mike

For shits and grins I just went to the kbb website to see how the value of my wife’s 2014 Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee compares with the exact same vehicle but with the gas engine. Now this is the first gen engine that had some issues (which have been resolved and we have not had any issues for the last 3 years or so).
Here are the values:

Ecodiesel GC - $20,497

Gas GC - $19,743

For a difference of $754

Like you said the Diesel engine really shines on longer trips where we get anywhere between 27 and 29 mpg depending on the load and terrain. The only reason I didn’t get the diesel is because I will be driving into Mexico and the availability of ULSD is sketchy in some parts…

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2

Gas JT. No way a diesel would ever pay for itself for me.

20210621_075724.jpg

Wat Dog

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Superintendent
It all depends on where you started with fuel costs. I traded in a twin turbo motor that loved premium fuel. I’ve already saved quit a bit on fuel for that reason alone not to mention the area you live.Then, we should realize what “extras” are included when you make the diesel switch. For starters, I know the axels are the max tow, with a different gear ratio, and cast iron steering knuckles which are the same as the Mojave. Not to mention the longevity of the motor/drive train and the additional 40,000 miles worth of warranty.

13B2768A-9B23-4303-9495-09EBF343F82D.jpeg

1179802F-7C89-4986-B776-CD33A059FFEE.jpeg

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
This is something to note, diesel is cheaper in a lot of places. Another thing to note is not only are you getting the extended range but every time you do fill up you have to put in 4 gallons less because the diesel has the smaller tank even though it has a larger range.

Lost_In_The_Woods

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be the first to admit that I didn't want to read through the 10 1/2 pages of comments so my apologies if this has been stated already.

DO NOT get a diesel if you're looking to "save money". It's not just the cost of fuel. That alone it's going to take you a looooong time to pay for the "upgrade". Plan on your oil changes costing at least twice what a gas engine is going to be. And the BEST part is the cost of DEF. That's going to run you about $50 every 2,500(ish) miles. So basically..... don't plan on saving any money.

Also, don't forget that half the time diesel costs more than regular gas.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Does it really matter how long? I bought because I wanted it no other reason.
Sponsored