Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigjmain

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Tech
I'll tell you what... I did a big jeep event this weekend in FL and was crawling up 20 deg inclines at 1500 rpm's. The looks alone are worth the extra $$$. It is a beast offroad.

Edit** On 37s too
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
WTF are you even doing on the diesel page?....

There's a lot of that in here, more than 50% of people voted "I don't want the diesel" in the "Why are you getting a diesel" poll LOL/WTF indeed! 🤪

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
There's a lot of that in here, more than 50% of people voted "I don't want the diesel" in the "Why are you getting a diesel" poll LOL/WTF indeed! 🤪

Too funny.

If it was a 4 or 6 cyl Cummins I would have changed my vote and stood in line for one.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
If it was a 4 or 6 cyl Cummins I would have changed my vote and stood in line for one.
The Cummins in the Titan had so many problems that Cummins pulled it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Ram Cummins fan, but just because it has a Cummins doesn't mean it's going to be a good engine.

Interestingly, engine builders have discovered that the 3.0L EcoDiesel is very similar to the Mercedes 3.0L. As a matter of fact, many of the parts are Mercedes parts including the piston and rings.

bigjmain

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Tech
The Cummins in the Titan had so many problems that Cummins pulled it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Ram Cummins fan, but just because it has a Cummins doesn't mean it's going to be a good engine.

Interestingly, engine builders have discovered that the 3.0L EcoDiesel is very similar to the Mercedes 3.0L. As a matter of fact, many of the parts are Mercedes parts including the piston and rings.

Bosch is everywhere under the hood. I had my bosnian neighbors drooling over the build quality. Thats when you know its a good diesel!!

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

As far as I can tell, it wasn't reliability issues that caused them to cease production. There were several factors involved. 3 years wasn't a very long run. I'd still love to see a big inline 4 cyl Cummins in a Gladiator.

I'm not surprised that they copied Mercedes as far as parts go but I never realized it previously to you stating it.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
As far as I can tell, it wasn't reliability issues that caused them to cease production. There were several factors involved. 3 years wasn't a very long run.
Between a high engine failure rate and warranty repairs, Cummins (not Nissan) pulled the plug due to warranty costs.

I'm not surprised that they copied Mercedes as far as parts go but I never realized it previously to you stating it.
I don't think they were copying. I think they were sharing engine parts to reduce costs. I would love to compare the Mercedes 3.0L to the VM Motori 3.0L. The ring and piston also fits the Mercedes 2.0L. The Mercedes 3.0L was also used by FCA in the Dodge Sprinter van.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Bosch is everywhere under the hood. I had my bosnian neighbors drooling over the build quality. Thats when you know its a good diesel!!
The EcoDiesel is a good engine, although, the Gen III engine is something like 80% new compared to the Gen II engine. With that said, there are now two EcoDiesel owners with over 400,000 miles on their Gen II engine. One is expected to his 1/2 million by the end of the year. And these are guys who tow for a living.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The EcoDiesel is a good engine, although, the Gen III engine is something like 80% new compared to the Gen II engine. With that said, there are now two EcoDiesel owners with over 400,000 miles on their Gen II engine. One is expected to his 1/2 million by the end of the year. And these are guys who tow for a living.
Warranty repairs on the I and II were through the roof especially with motor replacements. You would have thought that they learned enough with gen I to make a good gen II but they didn't. Lawsuits abounded over those motors. Maybe they hired a new crew to design gen III and it will be better. Time will tell.

Two diesel owners with high mileage motors is anecdotal at best and means nothing. Some motors never made 100k. I saw a Yugo with 200k on it once. Convince me that it was a good car.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Warranty repairs on the I and II were through the roof especially with motor replacements. You would have thought that they learned enough with gen I to make a good gen II but they didn't. Lawsuits abounded over those motors.
Actually, the gen 1 engines were awesome. There are several 1 million mile gen 1 engines. Those were in Europe only.

The Gen II is the 2014 - 2019 engine. The VM Motori plant was not setup for mass production. Quality control appears to be the problem, especially since FCA ramped up orders even beyond what was originally planned.

Maybe they hired a new crew to design gen III and it will be better. Time will tell.
It's the same Chief Engineer.

Two diesel owners with high mileage motors is anecdotal at best and means nothing. Some motors never made 100k. I saw a Yugo with 200k on it once. Convince me that it was a good car.
400,000+ miles is a lot of miles on a fairly new engine, so you're not going to see many of those. There are dozens and dozens of people with 300,000 miles on their gen II engines and even more people with 200,000+ miles. I'm at 93,000 miles and mine has been great. I loved my 2015 so much that I bought a 2020.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Gen II is the 2014 - 2019 engine. The VM Motori plant was not setup for mass production. Quality control appears to be the problem

It's the same Chief Engineer.
It wasn't just quality control. It was bad design, bad software bad emissions.

Hopefully your current diesel will be as trouble free as your previous one. I'm pulling for ya.

houseofdiesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Too funny.

I have a few 3.9L that are a legit mill, but the newer offerings from Cummins were engineered and designed with the anti-science tree huggers at the EPA. The 2.8L GM offers that was also a similar design to the VM in the Jeeps, as well as GM's new LM2 3.0L are legit diesel mills.

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
Be nice if there was a How its made episode of the 3.0

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Be nice if there was a How its made episode of the 3.0

Keep in mind that the gen 3 (2020+) EcoDiesel is 80% new compared to the gen 2 (2014 - 2019) EcoDiesel. The people who have rebuilt the gen 2 engine have found that many of the parts are the same as the 3.0L Mercedes. For example, the ring and piston in the EcoDiesel is a Mercedes part. So, although VM Motori is an Italian company, the EcoDiesel shares many of the same parts as the 3.0L Mercedes.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I believe the Ram and JeeP 3.0 gen 3 is built in the US, can’t remember what city though.
Sponsored