Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Much appreciated sir!

I'm not necessarily looking for the absolute best deal as I'm a local businessman as well.....I always give the guy the deal who makes it easy for me and is loyal.......I'd like to be treated the same way. In current times, how much would it be worth for me to spend 2 days traveling to Ut and back to pick it up right? For 5K I'd have to drive. For 1K I'd buy it local......I do love me a roadtrip thought!
If interested, send me a private message and I will send you the person's name and contact information. I buy 100% of my vehicles from this particular dealer and have developed a good relationship with them. For that reason, I don't like to publicly throw the name out and have dozens of people waste his time. So, if you think you are seriously interested, I will send you his name and contact info. They are great! Zero hassle. Best price from the beginning. I live in northern, New Mexico and they shipped the truck to my front door for $500 bucks.
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
If interested, send me a private message and I will send you the person's name and contact information. I buy 100% of my vehicles from this particular dealer and have developed a good relationship with them. For that reason, I don't like to publicly throw the name out and have dozens of people waste his time. So, if you think you are seriously interested, I will send you his name and contact info. They are great! Zero hassle. Best price from the beginning. I live in northern, New Mexico and they shipped the truck to my front door for $500 bucks.
I wanna give the local guy a chance to give me a reasonable deal before I waste anyone's time. They already let me road test one and have some time invested in this deal.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I wanna give the local guy a chance to give me a reasonable deal before I waste anyone's time. They already let me road test one and have some time invested in this deal.
I completely understand. I will be here if you change your mind.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Same thing can be found online for $1425/$1665.
Ooo where? An extended warranty may be the only thing that makes me feel safe buying the ecoDiesel. I am worried about all of the Tier IV emissions stuff.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Mechanical breakdown insurance from geico ftw

Josephus

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTDR for Dad. 03' TJ daughter. 07'JKLR to son.
Occupation
IT dude, electrician, and a few other things ;)
Vehicle Showcase
To those who say “Nay” to diesel ROI, I have 3 questions:
1.) How many jeeps have you owned AND lifted/modified? (Less than 1 you are disqualified)
2.) How much did you really really spend on getting the performance back to stock 0-60 times? (Again if less than $250 you are disqualified)
3.) What was your mileage after those upgrades? ( if you say “back to stock” you are disqualified as a liar)
I’m not buying a diesel because of stock MPG.

Open your minds and see the Bigger Picture here folks. Literally bigger.

my experience is that I spent easily over $5000 upgrading gears and axles, chips, and exhaust, intakes, and cooling = to get the performance back to what it should be.

The diesel is the shortcut to support a proper lifted Jeep. Done. Game Over. Go directly to “Go” and collect yer $200.

And what really seals the deal, and forever shuts the mouth of ever “Nay” sayer forever is the word: WARRANTY

After I put down my $5k and got all the modifications to the power train installed, the dealer laughed at me every time I brought it’s death-wobbling limping busted ass into his garage. I was bleeding Benjamin’s like a gushing head wound.

Naturally, that irresponsible funding of a Jeep habit led to a trip to see Mr Divorce lawyer. And that’s when the arterial bleeding of Tens of Thousands of dollars began.

$6k for an engine that can handle what I’m gonna do to it? And warranty because I don’t have to modify the drivetrain? It would be a sin NOT to. Because now I know better.

I cannot help my nature, and I cannot deny who I am or what I like to do in the mud and the dirt, and the ice and snow, and sand and water. But I must make the most responsible decision possible given the available options.

I am buying the diesel because I plan on lifting it, and loading it up, and running it over obstacles, and having more fun doing it.

Do you see the $75k investment into a way of life? Enjoy the adventures.

Or do you see it like you get to keep $4000 more in your retirement account? Enjoy counting your beans.

houseofdiesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Does anyone purchase 392's, 7.3L F250's, or 6.2L Gm's for the fuel economy? No they are the optional purchases because they are for more capable than the base options. With diesel it is just an added benefit that it is the most efficient means of propulsion. The added savings in fuel cost was a buyers point back in the day when they were not turbo charged and required a far higher premium than the Big Block or other optional engines. That sales point is not as necessary today as it was in the 1980's. I'm beyond tired of all the trolls from the base model pages bashing the diesel enthusiast pages. I doubt they will be voicing the same opinions on the 392 pages even though I know many SRT owners that have nothing but problems with their Hemi powered vehicle, which I too will be owning one of despite the gremlins. And I've actually had more problems with my Ford Eco-jokes and 3.6L Unlimited than I have any of the diesels in my fleet. But yes I know people that have had gremlins too in the modern diesels. It's all a crab shoot these days with the endless Planned Obsolescence and proprietary locks built into every last manufacturer. Buy what is your passion and leave other people's choices alone.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
houseofdiesel, you 100% get it! Those who are familiar with diesels and who've actually owned a diesel, or two, or three, get it!

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Does anyone purchase 392's, 7.3L F250's, or 6.2L Gm's for the fuel economy?
The reason guys buy those, and the reason those choices are becoming more popular (which is why Ford and GM spent billions to develop new old-school V8s despite growing EPA regulation), is because they provide the best all-around financial benefit.

Take the Ford 7.3L for example. It can easily achieve 14 MPG per real world owner data, costs $9,000 less money to purchase, and service intervals are $30 each. The diesel engine in the same truck gets 16 MPG, is a $10,000 option, service intervals are into the 3-figures, and there's a fear of catastrophic failure of the fuel system or emissions system.

So, in the grand scheme of things, the large displacement gas motors end up being a very wise investment financially. They provide nearly the same fuel range, do so on less expensive fuel, and are a breeze to keep on the road for years with basic tools.

There is more to an engine option than the MPG figure alone, which is THE REASON that the EcoDiesel isn't a wise financial choice. People should only get the EcoD if they simply desire the EcoD. There is no possible way that it will save a penny short term or long term.

Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
After reading all 9 pages.... I am glad that I don't have to talk to people much at work.

Anywho, I picked up my JTD two weeks ago Saturday and have over 2k miles on it. The first full weekend I owned it we went to NC in it and I rented an enclosed u-haul to pick up stuff from my dads house which is selling. I averaged 18.5 mpg during the whole trip. The trailer was a 6'x12' and weighed in around 2k empty. On the way back It was loaded pretty heavily with furniture, books, pictures, and other junk that I need to figure out where to put in the house. I wouldn't begin to guess the weight on the way back. However, I rented the same trailer in the past with my 2018 JLUR (2.0t) and empty, it got 10 mpgs. On a trip to Savannah(much closer, but still the same stretch of I95.)

My son came with us and was towing my 8'x5' utility trailer. He averaged 16 mpgs on the way up there, I need to ask him if he remembers his return mileage. However, that trailer weighed about 10% of the u-haul trailer. (His vehicle is a 2020 JT, 3.6)

For me the real kicker was fuel mileage towing. I have a 2011 ram 1500 (5.7l) and it gets about 14... Empty... So that is an automatic loser. We also own a camper that weighs in about 3200 lbs loaded and we like doing jeep stuff. My JLUR averaged 9 mpgs towing it. And sometimes it would not be the most fun on a highway with a crosswind. The gladiator tows much better than the wrangler and does it with much better fuel mileage. That was my reasoning. Besides the fact that I just wanted another diesel. (I owned an '03 ram 3500 and a '95 chevy 1500 with the detroit disaster 6.5) I do wish the ecodiesel had the diesel shake when you shut it down, however.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Have just under 500 miles on my Sport S with 37" BFG KO2's on Mopar 2" lift and first tank with the lift netted the same exact 21.3 MPG as the previous tank with stock 31.5" tires.

This was a mix of 75% city and 25% highway miles.

I have to say I'm extremely impressed with this kind of mileage on a 6300 lb truck with lift and Rockslide Engineering step sliders (heavy)! I'm headed on a 900 mile road trip from Colorado to Texas this week so it will be interesting to see what it's like on a full tank of highway driving (I'm not expecting much better than 21.3 MPG considering a 75 MPH speed limit most of the drive but I will report back if anyone is interested).

Coming from a JK on 35's with the craptastic 5 speed auto that averaged 15.8 MPG, I am happy to see less time at the pump.

Will I get my $4k premium for the diesel back? Don't know and don't really care, I wanted the torque and towing capability of the Gladiator over the Wrangler. If the Wrangler could tow 6k I would be driving one in a diesel!

<edit> This is all on winter blend diesel. Hoping to see a 2-3 mpg increase when there's no Kerosene in my fuel tank!

Last edited:

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
600 miles on my new Rubi Eco rolling on 37s towing a 1200lb Tentrax trailer though the mountains of Northern CA and desert of Central NV netted 21.4 mpg with the power to climb hills at the speed limit easily.......I'm happy!

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
Was a big mental discussion here as well. Been driving a 2000 Dodge 3500 with a 5.9 Cummings since new, adding that nothing here on the farm is new enough to have any type of emissions, tractor or truck. So owning something that uses DEF plus all the other bells & whistles was VERY intimidating. Also having an engine half the size with more HP & TQ is 20 years of technology at work, I hope. Ratings for the 5.9 with automatic transmittion was 180 HP & 420 TQ with the 3.0 at 260 HP & 442 TQ, incredible. The old Dodge has 248K and counting on the clock, hope the new Jeep Gladiator is up to the challange.
Now, I'm not going to bash the gas burners, oldest gas engine here that is still running is a 9HP Majestic hit & miss stationary engine built in 1919. The oldest tractor is a 1926 McCormick-Deering 10-20 on steel wheels. Though these units aren't use anymore for production on the farm, still a standing testament for the gas engine and the variance of LP, kerosene and distillate burners. Oh yeah, the 1995 YJ with the 4.0 in the driveway showing 176k on the ticker, the 1990 D-150 with 192K, the 1975 F-100 with ? miles, speed-o is broke.
But for the more modern internal combustion powerplant, diesel is the route in my book. The diesel lawn tractor we use will run all day plus tomorrow on 5 gallons, a gas burner about a gallon an hour. The larger equipment is less efficent per hour, yet better than gas units in the same HP ratings. Yes, the maintenance costs are more but that's part of ownership, as with anything considered "optional" or "high end". Think of a house, size WILL effect the cost of ownership, that Audi R8, send that Rolex out for a factory service. Also think of the fuel, diesel is a combustible lubricant while gas is a solvent. The diesel will produce it peak power at lower RPM's so less wear & tear, though the diesel will operate at higher pressures and will weigh more.

PROS & CONS will live on longer than we will, so choose your own poison and be happy, I did.

Sport S with the diesel option and more.
Sponsored