Sponsored

Honest Conversation: How would a 4XE JT compare to the diesel?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I have extensive experience with plug in hybrids.
in towing, the battery will be depleted almost immediately and thus not contributing to that max power figure they’re so proud of.

in regular commuting, most of the power will be available most of the time but running up grades will likely have the same result as towing.
the advantage that will be constant is the reduced brake wear through regeneration assuming the battery isn’t full.

jeep needs lots of real world data from people buying and modifying them to develop a good EV. Thats what the 4xe really is. A way for them test and deliver a competitive off road worthy EV
Sponsored

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
in towing, the battery will be depleted almost immediately and thus not contributing to that max power figure (or mileage)

in regular commuting, most of the power will be available most of the time but running up grades will likely have the same effect.
Really can’t see them sticking the 2.0 in a hybrid Gladiator -

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I'd find it hard to believe if FCA would drop their own EcoDiesel in favor of a Cummins variant

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Also noticed the plug will not fit superchargers - why are those not standardized?
Superchargers are Tesla Proprietary chargers and no other manufacturer uses them. At one time Tesla offered the Tech to others but the terms for use where crazy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Superchargers are Tesla Proprietary chargers and no other manufacturer uses them. At one time Tesla offered the Tech to others but the terms for use where crazy.
Sorry I want aware that the term ‘Supercharger’ was trademarked :rolleyes: #Teslasnobs
The point I was trying to get to: can you charge the Jeep 4xe Anywhere other than at your house?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Sorry I want aware that the term ‘Supercharger’ was trademarked :rolleyes: #Teslasnobs
The point I was trying to get to: can you charge the Jeep 4xe Anywhere other than at your house?
yes however it won’t charge beyond a level 2 rate which is the fastest speed a non solar boosted home charger can go

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
As much electrical issues I’m having with my gladiator there is no way I would buy anything all electric from fca.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Well they say that the 4xe trim on the JL added 500 lbs. That's now a compact SUV that tips the scales at 5,000ish pounds. Ooof.

So if they do a 4xe JT, you're looking at what, 5,500 lbs? And the max GVWR is what, 6,350? That does not leave much room for payload or towing capacity. We all know that the diesel payload and towing is neutered by the chassis and dimensions of the Gladiator. I can only imagine that the 4xe will be worse.

Range? Diesel all day every day. The 4xe only has 21 miles of electric range in the JL, which means it'll be 20 or less in the JT. That's not even enough to get me to the office in the mornings. And then what do you have to fall back upon after that? A 2.0L gas engine? The one that they don't sell in the JT already because it overheats when towing? The one that had TSBs and recalls in the JL for engine fires? The one with coolant lines running under the vehicle that are known to leak, dual coolant reservoirs, 48v wiring everywhere, direct injection that soots up the valves? The one that achieves worse fuel economy in the real world than the 3.6L Pentastar? No thanks....I'll pass.

I see the 4xe as a novelty. It shines and sparkles, and looks cool on paper, and intrigues people. And maybe that's the point. But after living with it for a year, I think most guys will get sick and tired of it and wish that they'd spent that extra money on a real powertrain. Technology has advanced rapidly in the last 120 years. Rapidly and radically. But internal combustion power for cars has stayed exactly the same. And there's a reason for that. It's because there's nothing better.
People said this same thing about electric cars 10 years ago. Now the fastest cars performance wise are electric in some capacity.

look at Tesla,.. they are making production line vehicles that throw down numbers beating super cars. The new Tesla does 0-60 in 2.0 seconds... 0.3 faster than the Bugatti Chiron.

While gas cars have been proven for many years, the time has come where the technology and public/social backing has changed the industry. They have created something faster for way cheaper. While there will always be people saying “I like the feel of a naturally aspirated V8”, they. Any deny having an electric car that does 0-60 in 2.0 for 112k isn’t impressive. But hey... if you Have the money for a Chiron, your just trying to find things to spend your money on!

will they be making the JL 392 in 10 years? Or will the vehicles be electric in some form?

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Man, this 4XE has made me do a ton of research (I recently found out the way to say it is 4 by e).

Simply put the EV cars are coming. They will replace everything internal combustion.

Is that in 5 years? Maybe 10? Maybe 3?

Manufacturers like Toyota and Tesla are heavily invested in battery tech and Tesla has announced two important things recently.

-an affordable EV model 200 in the $20-25k range
- new 20% more efficient 4680 tab-less batteries due out end 4th Q 2021. Elon Musk said they will be in the American model 200 from the start and probably the German ones as well. Those 4680’s are a temporary battery advance the real change will be sodium ion batteries (sodium glass).

Elon Musk estimates meeting demand with 4680’s in about 2 years. This is what will bring price down for EV initially.

The grid will handle this in 5-10 years as companies commercial, industrial and residential homes reach for alternative energy. Essentially meaning they will be off the electrical grid needing no outside sources of power (or very limited grid power) as well as being able to add energy back into the grid when not in use.

Industrial, commercial and residential buildings are all switching to LED lighting, and low voltage controls.

Now the steel manufacturing Industry needs a lot of power, but that should be available as fewer need grid power as well as advances in nuclear power with smaller reactors.

HERE IS THE REASON AND YOUR PROOF THAT EV TOWING IS NOT AN ISSUE EVEN FOR VEHICLE WEIGHT. TO BE HONEST ONCE EV TOWING IS COMMON IN OUR PICKUPS, WE WILL WILL THINK THE DIESEL ENGINE IS UNDERPOWERED.

THE ISSUE WITH DIESEL MOTORS ARE
- they are heavy even in smaller configurations
- EPA regulates them and manufacturers use DPF and to meet requirements.

HERE IS PROOF FOR GLADIATOR TOWING AS AN EV

Towing, the Rivian R1 pickup is supposed to be released in a month or two. This is your pickup comparison.

- 5800lbs vehicle weight
- 11,000 lbs towing
- 1750 payload
- 0-60 in 3 seconds
- current max range with top battery selection at about 400 miles. (Not towing)
- hp in the 850 range
- torque in the 900+ range
- Max price in the full size truck segment market price of $70k

ONCE BATTERY TECH CATCHES UP IN 3-10 years:

This will kill any internal combustion engine including diesel (I love diesel). Once battery tech reaches consumer demand for travel and the grid is prepared to handle it, this is what they will produce.

If Rivian can do these numbers for a less than full size truck with current technology, Jeep will be able to do the same for the gladiator.

Then there is the concept Axial truck aimed at construction industry with high Towing and payload capacities.

Tesla is working on their semi- truck EV.

Again battery power is the short fall, but that is going to change in 5 years IMOP. Just Toyota alone has invested $19b in battery technology and production.

I can say I am building another house in a few years that will be modern and net zero... passive solar (I use now in current home I built in 2008) geothermal and PV Cells probably roof tile type. I already have the blueprint plans.

I will have the house set for EV’s and I will trade my 3.6L Gladiator in for a full EV if it has Rivian R1 numbers and a range of 1000 miles when full charging is under 5 min as the norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
People said this same thing about electric cars 10 years ago. Now the fastest cars performance wise are electric in some capacity.

look at Tesla,.. they are making production line vehicles that throw down numbers beating super cars. The new Tesla does 0-60 in 2.0 seconds... 0.3 faster than the Bugatti Chiron.

While gas cars have been proven for many years, the time has come where the technology and public/social backing has changed the industry. They have created something faster for way cheaper. While there will always be people saying “I like the feel of a naturally aspirated V8”, they. Any deny having an electric car that does 0-60 in 2.0 for 112k isn’t impressive. But hey... if you Have the money for a Chiron, your just trying to find things to spend your money on!

will they be making the JL 392 in 10 years? Or will the vehicles be electric in some form?
And for every Tesla I see on the road, I see 10 Challenger Hellcats.

You cannot replace the visceral feel, sound, and experience of an ICE, particularly a V8 ICE. FCA got filthy rich over the last 10 years by stuffing V8s into every place they would fit. Meanwhile, the companies "moving toward electric tech" have all suffered. Even Tesla was in horrible financial condition as of a year or two ago.

Will they be making a 392 JL in ten years? Probably not. Will electric vehicles dominate the market in 10 years? Absolutely not.

Do people really believe that after using ICE power for vehicles for the last 150 years, nothing else has gone mainstream because people just haven't tried hard enough? C'mon...

To make electric vehicles the dominant form of propulsion, you need to be able to fill them in 90 seconds and then drive them 500 miles to match what you can do with a current diesel vehicle. AND there has to be a charging station on every corner in America just like fuel stations are now. And neither of those things are going to happen any time soon.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
And for every Tesla I see on the road, I see 10 Challenger Hellcats.

You cannot replace the visceral feel, sound, and experience of an ICE, particularly a V8 ICE. FCA got filthy rich over the last 10 years by stuffing V8s into every place they would fit. Meanwhile, the companies "moving toward electric tech" have all suffered. Even Tesla was in horrible financial condition as of a year or two ago.

Will they be making a 392 JL in ten years? Probably not. Will electric vehicles dominate the market in 10 years? Absolutely not.

Do people really believe that after using ICE power for vehicles for the last 150 years, nothing else has gone mainstream because people just haven't tried hard enough? C'mon...

To make electric vehicles the dominant form of propulsion, you need to be able to fill them in 90 seconds and then drive them 500 miles to match what you can do with a current diesel vehicle. AND there has to be a charging station on every corner in America just like fuel stations are now. And neither of those things are going to happen any time soon.
1 to 10 Tesla’s to hellcats?? I’m not sure where you live but there are teslas everywhere and I’ve only seen a couple Hellcats. Seems quite the stretch to me.

who needs to fill the car in 90 seconds when you can do it from your home every night or as needed? These are already approaching the 500 mile mark and the batteries aren even fully optimized yet.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Short trips aren't the issue with EVs, and haven't been for awhile now. But if you're traveling outside of the range that your EV can produce, you'll have to find a charge station, and hang out for awhile.

Yes, this might not be a big deal to some, but it's definitely a limiting factor. I'm planning an 8000 mile road trip this summer... if I had an EV, it'd definitely tack on a lot more hours of waiting around for my EV to charge.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
This is just one major oil company already anticipating RV charge needs.

She’ll oil is one of 6 oil companies investing in renewable energy. This is called Capitalism... supply and demand. Why I HATE Chebby for not anticipating 2008 crash and being brought out of bankruptcy by “We the People “ through our hard earned money through Taxes. I personally would like to see that money from Chebby now they are “making a profit” ??? By underselling their cost with the base Corvette.... just one example from Chebby.

Companies need to anticipate the next big thing and make the change or go the way of the Dino.

“Shell’s plan to roll out 500,000 electric charging stations in just four years is the latest sign of an EV charging infrastructure boom that has prompted investors to pour cash into the industry and inspired a few companies to become public companies in search of the capital needed to meet demand.”

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
To answer the original question of diesel or 4xe... no question diesel.
It's far more straightforward than blending a 2.0t and electric motor and eliminating storage under the seats for batteries.
Sponsored