Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Does it really matter how long? I bought because I wanted it no other reason.
No, not really. I think some people try to justify their purchase. Interestingly, people will buy a new vehicle in 3 - 5 years and pay $3,500 - 4,500 just in taxes and not think anything about it. The real cost savings is using public transportation as much as possible, buying a motorcycle or fuel efficient car, or keeping a vehicle for 15+ years. That's where a real cost savings comes in.

I buy diesel because I love diesel vehicles.
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
No, not really. I think some people try to justify their purchase. Interestingly, people will buy a new vehicle in 3 - 5 years and pay $3,500 - 4,500 just in taxes and not think anything about it. The real cost savings is using public transportation as much as possible, buying a motorcycle or fuel efficient car, or keeping a vehicle for 15+ years. That's where a real cost savings comes in.

I buy diesel because I love diesel vehicles.
I bought it because of the fuel mileage honestly. But the cost of it paying for itself or whatever ya wanna call it. Never even factored in. I'm happy with my choice. 3800 miles on it. 27 mpg so far average.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I bought it because of the fuel mileage honestly. But the cost of it paying for itself or whatever ya wanna call it. Never even factored in. I'm happy with my choice. 3800 miles on it. 27 mpg so far average.
The range is nice. I do a lot of towing, so I added a 37 gallon tank to my Ram 1500 to increase that range.

qf4n8IV.jpg

wbU5PMy.jpg

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Range and being able to climb a 9% grade at the speed limit with 37's is why I bought the diesel. Cost is a far down the line consideration. I'd really like to have the Hemi under the hood, but where do you store all that fuel for a decent range?

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
How do you put a price on how much enjoyment comes from finally having power in a jeep

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The crazy thing about such question is that there's no solid answer. "It depends".
How about the price difference of gas vs. diesel where you live?
How about the terrain where you live? (hilly, flat, whatever)
How about HOW you drive?
How about how many miles a year you drive? (some will put on 20K, others 30K, maybe some only 12K)
Do you tow or not? How often, how heavy?
There are many other factors with diesels - including maintenance cost variations, emissions upkeep etc.
Buy a diesel because you want one, or maybe even need one. no one can tell you how long it will take to break even cost-wise. Even you.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
nerd

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
Don’t buy a modern diesel for financial economics. Buy it because it’s more fun to drive, has a longer range, and tows better. Yes, the gas can technically tow more, but that engine works 4x harder to tow at 6k than the diesel does. If you need to regularly tow above 4-5k lbs, a midsized truck is not your best option.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
Well guys it seems the breakeven is getting shorter and shorter by the week :CWL: :like: Diesel all the way

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I tried to do the cost comparison before on a different truck but similar differences in mpg and range specs. Over the long term - 15 years or more, after considering average maintenance and 'typical' repair needs, it actually is basically a wash. Also in this uncertain political and economic environment I dont think there really is a true 'this is better than that'. If you tow, diesel is nice. For those complaining about range - it didn't take long for aux tanks to become available for the gaser which gives about 600 miles of range. It all comes down to what you want anymore I think. Especially with how advanced, finicky, and expensive to repair these new diesels are. A lot of it, IMO, comes down also to the typical 'always in a hurry, gotta get things done' state of mind those of us in the US seem to be stuck in. "I wanna do 80 on XX tire size" because going 55 or 60 is just too 'inconvenient'. That seems to play a huge role also in my particular area where folks consistently are driving 80+. Personally I would rather chill at 60 and take in the beauty around me every day, and be easier on my vehicle's components making them last longer.

I had a diesel (not Jeep) for the last 5 years to tow my travel trailer for work. Life then changed and I figured because towing wasn't going to be consistent any longer, a diesel wasn't needed with its added maintenance and cost (and that was for a 25 yr old truck that didn't need this new DEF garbage). Gas is simple(r), especially with modern vehicles. And if your way out in middle of nowhere on a camping trip or something, its more likely to find a shop that can repair a problem with a gasser than a diesel. I long and hard fought myself over this because a diesel in a Jeep is just cool. Nobody can deny that... But, gas is just easier, more simple, and cheaper even in these crazy times.
Sponsored