First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
I love driving Series and Defender Land Rovers. My favorite was a 1990 that had the 200 tdi in it, was RHD and was the 90 inch pickup style. It was a blast to drive.

The new Defender is a Defender by name. There is no way it can handle what they put it through in the commercial and not come out the other side with serious damage (even factoring out the rollover)

I would love to see the raw footage from the commercial. I like how they employed the technique of including the slate to make the viewer think it is a bit unedited.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
that’s more than the JT can. 900mm is 35” and the JT is limited to 30”, at 5mph

Btw this isnt a JT vs Defender, just how it compares to looking in a commercial
One of the Defenders in that commercial had a snorkel on the vehicle's left side, wonder if that fording depth is based on a snorkel?
Not sure why anyone would want a snooty Jeep commercial, but to each their own I guess.
PS: no diesel available in the US.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
98F604FC-210A-47DE-A0D9-DDA0410CFA17.jpeg
83328C83-6D7A-43A7-BB41-92BB8F894F42.jpeg
BD717240-143A-4816-8805-54722F146AC0.jpeg
E840F8E3-12EA-48C9-AF13-57013C2F0843.jpeg
What you say is very true. It was an impressive video. But I don’t think hardly any Land Rover drivers will take their rides mud slinging. I bet the vast majority will go on a yearly trip to the ski slopes or they may tow a ski boat while most of them will drive their kids to school or they drive to work and will almost never go off the payment. It’s an image thing be seen driving. My best guesses mind you. If people want you go off roading then I bet they will do it in a Jeep. After all it’s a Jeep thing.
A couple of years ago a guy in a mostly stock except tires, Land Rover tagged along with our group of Jeep wheeling for the day. I was leading in my white ‘13 JKU with 2.5” lift and 34” tires. I was impressed with its capability. It never got stuck or damaged and went just about everywhere we went.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Just goes to show that sometime life is full of surprises

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Meh, the Brits gave up their guns, knives, freedom and imported hundreds of thousands of culturally incompatible people. They've been driven off of the European continent no less than twice and saved by the Colony that kicked their ass the same number of times.

I'll remain unimpressed with their people and products until they prove both of them acceptable again.

Cool commercial though, they've got that.

Sponsored

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
I'm actually waiting for the defender to come out....we've had multiple rover products and have had zero issues with them. Keeping the JT, but we do need to fill other garage with something…..

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I briefly considered the new Defender when the official release was made, but I eventually determined that it was "just another new LR product": capable, but ultimately boring. The new Defender holds little of the appeal of the original, IMHO and should have just been the next Discovery. I like it well enough, just not enough to drop that much money on one (as some people feel about the JT). I'm sure it will be popular enough.

New vehicles are tough for me. I want something that stands out from the sea of bland SUVs and (around here, at least) multitude of vanilla luxury sedans. There are few new vehicles that make me excited enough to want one; the JT does fall onto that (very) short list.

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I guess "tread lightly" is not part of their off road objective.

Fun commercial though. And shrinkhead said, we got the groundhog commercial

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Meh, the Brits gave up their guns, knives, freedom and imported hundreds of thousands of culturally incompatible people. They've been driven off of the European continent no less than twice and saved by the Colony that kicked their ass the same number of times.

I'll remain unimpressed with their people and products until they prove both of them acceptable again.

Cool commercial though, they've got that.

Exactly. I praised only the commercial. Hence this isnt a JT vs Defender thread and in a different subforum

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Yeah but, how many sheets of plywood can it haul in the back?
Sponsored