Sponsored

How do I correct steering?

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray Gladiator Sport S
Hey fellas, I'm new to the forum and i'm super excited to get to know y'all! I've had a ton of wranglers before and just was able to trade up for a gladiator. Absolutely love it so far. It's lifted on 35s which leads me to my question. How do I correct the steering? the steering seems loose especially when hitting hard potholes (RI is notorious for these smh) I am just wondering if longer control arms will help correct it or tighten it up. It just seems loose and takes bumps pretty hard, if you guys have any input that would be great! Thanks
Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Hey fellas, I'm new to the forum and i'm super excited to get to know y'all! I've had a ton of wranglers before and just was able to trade up for a gladiator. Absolutely love it so far. It's lifted on 35s which leads me to my question. How do I correct the steering? the steering seems loose especially when hitting hard potholes (RI is notorious for these smh) I am just wondering if longer control arms will help correct it or tighten it up. It just seems loose and takes bumps pretty hard, if you guys have any input that would be great! Thanks
a much better steering stablilizer one that's actually adjustable.
this one:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/terafle...t-adjust-steering-stabilizer-jeep-wrangler-jl

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
What model year?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Get you caster up to ~6 with either control arms or brackets. Check torque on tie-rod, track bar, and drag link.

Then eventually just replace those 3 as the new tie rod and drag link actually made the most difference (after caster) as far as steering feel and tightness.

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
How big a lift? I did a flipped drag link and raised trackbar bracket on my 3.5” lift and it’s taken away a lot of the bump steer your describing.

Also note… my lift kit is a Metalcloak game changer with all arms and I did as aforementioned upgraded steering components, ss and dialed in alignment for caster.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

RustySeatbelt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
What year is it? If you have a 2020, look to see if you have the aluminum steering box. If you do, go to your dealer and complain about the loose steering, pulling to the right at highway speeds, play in the steering wheel. They should be able to replace it with the steel one.

Shadowmaker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer
Need more data...

How many miles on it
What brand, type of lift?
How high is it?
+1 for the Aluminum steering box potential issue
What else have you done to it
Are the tires decent?

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are bandaids, not fixes for anything. They mask problems.

Please go back and read the info I've posted from steering and suspension engineers and experts and the whole reason those were even put on vehicles to begin with.
from what I've read in reviews it's a vast improvement from the stock one even so

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
from what I've read in reviews it's a vast improvement from the stock one even so
So what do they say it "improves" or why is it better? Just "feels better" or stiffer?

Yeah, internet reviews usually by people who don't know suspension/steering but if it feels stiffer, it must be better even if the underlying issues are still there.
If all things are correct, you really don't even need one but try to tell the long-time REAL Jeep people anything like that. It's more macho to have a bigger steering stabilizer on your Jeep - the bigger, the stiffer, the better. It solves all issues - just ask 'em.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what do they say it "improves" or why is it better? Just "feels better" or stiffer?

Yeah, internet reviews usually by people who don't know suspension/steering but if it feels stiffer, it must be better even if the underlying issues are still there.
If all things are correct, you really don't even need one but try to tell the long-time REAL Jeep people anything like that. It's more macho to have a bigger steering stabilizer on your Jeep - the bigger, the stiffer, the better. It solves all issues - just ask 'em.
steering and feedback

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

the factory stabilizer is trash that much is true

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
steering and feedback
All a stiffer stabilizer can do for loose steering is make it feel better - stiffer. Feedback, but it can't correct looseness, wander, pull, etc. It makes a person feel good if they like steering that is stiffer or takes more effort to move. That's it.
Explain how the factory stabilizer is trash if the vast majority of them are doing fine on original parts? "that much is true" is your proof?
You never give any fact, or basis for what you say - you just state how you feel about it. There are tens of thousands of Jeeps running all over the country on the stock stabilizer. There are Jeeps going through all sorts of stuff on original parts that are a few years old.

Trolling again........eh.......