How do you all keep from wanting??

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other thing I've found in life.

If you want to splurge for a "want". Splurge for a want that doesn't depreciate.

If you lust after a new truck, but have also always lusted after a 67 Camaro, the Camaro is a much better choice.

In 8 years the truck will be worth 25% (50% if its a jeep) of what you paid for it. The Camaro will be worth MORE than you paid for it.

Buying a classic isn't really spending money. You are just kind of parking it.
Sponsored

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
discipline gets easier with maturity.

life is a series of trade offs.
Flip your car after 2 years and take a $15k hit and you had better be thinking about what else that $15 k can buy you.

or the fact that that money invested would be worth $100,00k by the time you retire!!
If you invested that$15K for retirement every time you wanted something, you’d have a lot of money at retirement but a pretty boring and unsatisfying life for the majority of the time you have on this rock we call earth.

I know guys like that. By the time they do retire, they’re too old to really do the stuff they always talked about and by then they’ve gotten so cheap and set in their ways they don’t want to spend any of that money they’ve been squirreling away their whole lives.

The usual result is that some relative ends up with it and spending it all. It’s actually pretty sad if you think about it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you invested that$15K for retirement every time you wanted something, you’d have a lot of money at retirement but a pretty boring and unsatisfying life for the majority of the time you have on this rock we call earth.

I know guys like that. By the time they do retire, they’re too old to really do the stuff they always talked about and by then they’ve gotten so cheap and set in their ways they don’t want to spend any of that money they’ve been squirreling away their whole lives.

The usual result is that some relative ends up with it and spending it all. It’s actually pretty sad if you think about it.
Its all about balance.

And again, if you splurge, consider splurging on something that doesn't depreciate.

If rather than getting a new car every 4 years, you got a new car every 10 years, in 10 years you cold save enough to buy this 66 Corvette that won't depreciate.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
One other thing I've found in life.

If you want to splurge for a "want". Splurge for a want that doesn't depreciate.

If you lust after a new truck, but have also always lusted after a 67 Camaro, the Camaro is a much better choice.

In 8 years the truck will be worth 25% (50% if its a jeep) of what you paid for it. The Camaro will be worth MORE than you paid for it.

Buying a classic isn't really spending money. You are just kind of parking it.
3 years ago I bought a BMW 1200GS motorcycle. I bought it lightly used for $13,000. Rode it to Colorado one summer, Yellowstone the next summer. Last week I sold it, got $13,500 for it. Probably could have got more as the ad was up on Craigslist for 3 hours. Crazy times.

Sponsored

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
I'm pretty neurotic about colors and what things "make sense", so I kind of tackle it from the other side. It's not about wanting and then maintaining discipline, it's about being so ***ing nit-picky that I can find something I don't like with just about every vehicle except the 1 or 2 that I want.

Example:
- If I ever wanted to go rock crawling, I wouldn't want a bed. The Gladiator as a Rubicon makes no sense to me.
- I love the Mojave orange accents, but they look terrible with just about every color, so neutral coats work better for me.

So my choices came down to a white, gray, granite, or black Mojave.

I live in Florida, so black is LOL NO. But again, because Florida, I everyone and their mother drives a white vehicle, and I wanted something a little different.

Granite is far more interesting to look at up close than gray, so my answer was pretty easy.

But, as others have said, if a V8 option comes out, I might buckle. The Pentastar works, but maaaaaaaan it takes its time getting to work.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
A new color or trim etc? With Jeep, they are always coming out with new doodads etc. Every time a color comes out that I like, I get the itch to trade!!! How do you guys stay content!!???
Get married.

Then buying anything nice for yourself becomes a miserable activity with hell to pay, and it will prevent you from thinking twice about trying to enjoy life.

Problem solved.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette

You can't take it with you, but you sure don't want to run out either.

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Get married.

Then buying anything nice for yourself becomes a miserable activity with hell to pay, and it will prevent you from thinking twice about trying to enjoy life.

Problem solved.
Already in that boat sir. haha.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
A new color or trim etc? With Jeep, they are always coming out with new doodads etc. Every time a color comes out that I like, I get the itch to trade!!! How do you guys stay content!!???
Easy - 1) I don't want an inquiry on my credit report 2) I hate car payments

and before some turd say, well pay in cash......Financially that is the stupidest thing you can do.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
pretty simple actually...

Buy once cry once

The Hydro Blue Pearlcoat Mojave is exactly what I wanted

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
Because Gator.
Jeep Gladiator How do you all keep from wanting?? 97CCC127-DC32-4BF1-AED7-F12FE0764C51

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
I ordered mine exactly how I would want it. Well close to at least, I wanted Gator but I ordered 2 days after the 20-21 switch, so I went with Sting Grey. Other than that everything is exact, and if I get the tickle in my pickle for some new limited edition color I remember all the little things I’ve done to mine and the big things and what a pain in the ass it is to undo and redo them.
I also don’t daily mine anymore. I have a 130 mile commute each day that I use a beater Honda for. So when the weekend comes it makes driving my Jeep that much more special. I don’t get the urge to trade like when I was putting 50k/yr on my “good car”. I’ve got my forever truck and unless they release a Mojave with a v8 or a 4xe I’m sticking with It.