Sponsored

How hard is it offroading in a manual transmission?

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
going off road in my rubi manual was quite the learning experience. I had no idea that putting it in 4L and in 1st gear meant that it would run on its own. Same goes for reverse! It basically is an automatic in 4L and i had no idea. It does make it a lot easier.
Thank you I was reading about it somewhere but couldn't find the information on it. I really don't want to burn a clutch up on the trail and be stranded. That's nice to know. I wish I could find videos showing this
Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
going off road in my rubi manual was quite the learning experience. I had no idea that putting it in 4L and in 1st gear meant that it would run on its own. Same goes for reverse! It basically is an automatic in 4L and i had no idea. It does make it a lot easier.
Thank you I was reading about it somewhere but couldn't find the information on it. I really don't want to burn a clutch up on the trail and be stranded. That's nice to know. I wish I could find videos showing this
It's that the 4L ratio is so low (1st is 84:1 on the Rubicon) that the engine at idle will pull you up a pretty steep grade. I've climbed in 4L/3rd gear with my feet flat on the floor. It's important NOT to touch the clutch at all when going up or down steep grades. I linked a video earlier that shows this and much more!

GladiSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 08 S2000 CR, 08 S2000, 22 392 XR Order
Build Thread
Link
My previous JK was a manual and had no problem conquering things from Moab, to the southern California desert. My ordered Mojave is gonna end up being a bit rare, as I ordered a manual and could care less about towing. I love the feel of manuals in the Gladi. Test drove a manual Rubi the other day and it felt fantastic.

In my opinion, my S2000 has the best manual gearbox I have ever felt. Far superior to my previous Viper's, Cobra's, and even an M3. The Rubi manual felt like a big-rig in comparison, but I still enjoy the Gladi being a manual.

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
It's that the 4L ratio is so low (1st is 84:1 on the Rubicon) that the engine at idle will pull you up a pretty steep grade. I've climbed in 4L/3rd gear with my feet flat on the floor. It's important NOT to touch the clutch at all when going up or down steep grades. I linked a video earlier that shows this and much more!
Awesome thanks. So would you be able to back a boat in and out in 4low or is that a no no because it's I concrete ramp and will mess up 4wd?

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Awesome thanks. So would you be able to back a boat in and out in 4low or is that a no no because it's I concrete ramp and will mess up 4wd?
When you're manuevering to line up, keep it in 2WD. When you are backing straight down or going forward straight up the ramp, 4WD is OK.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
so i back my camper up in 4L. i actually kind of have too because i will burn on the clutch something terrible if i don't. i just put in 4L and let it do all the work. It makes it so much easier.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
If you have to use your 4WD on hard surfaces and your gears bind up, just go into "reverse" or "forward" depending on what you were doing before it bound up and that will unwind the gears or lockers and it will be easy to switch out.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I've been launching and loading a ~2K lb boat in 2WD on an average ramp, and last time I even tried 4 high. It's okay but pulling out the trailer up the ramp (with or without boat) seems a little harsh on the clutch; I can see how 4 low would really be so much better. Going to try that next time. As long as you keep things in more or less a straight line (minor steering adjustments should be okay), should work out well.

Last edited:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Things that are better with automatic control:

TV's, Dentistry, forestry, and card catalogs. Clickers are good! It's hard to get your tooth drilled if the dentist needs to rest halfway through. Trees are big, but not too, with modern machinery. Card catalogs suck compared to having all library's ever in your phone.

Things that are better with manual control:

Jeeps.

And

"I'm so excited I am going to take a picture of my 2020 automatic transmission", said no one ever....

Jeep Gladiator How hard is it offroading in a manual transmission? 154_0605_04_z+jeep_junk_parts+overdrive_18

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using 4wd on boat ramps most of the time. I've seen to many launch their tow vehicle's by not doing it. Plus I trust having all 4tires locked in gear more secure than parking brake on 2 tires. I was launching a 16 ft boat behind a LJ ;) Years ago I watched a guy launching his boat that was way bigger than what I'd tow with a old CJ-7. He hooked up his winch at top of ramp and lock in hubs to make it. It's a steep boat ramp at Clinton Lake in IL. if I remember correctly.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I've been using 4wd on boat ramps most of the time. I've seen to many launch their tow vehicle's by not doing it. Plus I trust having all 4tires locked in gear more secure than parking brake on 2 tires. I was launching a 16 ft boat behind a LJ ;) Years ago I watched a guy launching his boat that was way bigger than what I'd tow with a old CJ-7. He hooked up his winch at top of ramp and lock in hubs to make it. It's a steep boat ramp at Clinton Lake in IL. if I remember correctly.
He used his winch to lower and pull himself back up? Kind of an interesting idea. It sounds like a bad one, but i have no clue. What could go wrong?

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
He used his winch to lower and pull himself back up? Kind of an interesting idea. It sounds like a bad one, but i have no clue. What could go wrong?
If the ramp is that bad it sounds like a better idea than wrapping up your axles in 4L on dry pavement

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Smaller vehicle can "tow" but not as capable of stopping and holding. (note: I didn't actually talk with him) so wet ramp and over size boat, was it a "safety" measure? CJ-7 not a long wheel base vehicle.

Andtros

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ, Gladiator on order
Occupation
Mechanic
Manual for offroad is fine with me - I'm switching to the auto due to stop and go traffic, and wife also wants to drive the jeep.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I've found that manual offroad (challenging terrain) is anywhere from blech to meh in 4 high but absolutely shines in 4 low. In low range, you can run in 1st or 2nd with feet completely off all pedals and as long as you have the patience, the JT just crawls over everything. If you need to pause, just clutch in and brake, get your bearings, release clutch and resume. It's like a switch, on or off, no inbetween, no slipping, and a very high degree of control.
Sponsored