Sponsored

Diesel with a manual transmission

Roddy13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
yea i wouldnt want another auto ..... the only autos ive got that i like are 727s & they only have 3spds so they only change when needed they will stay in top on a slight incline
...are you posting from 1973? Be honest...

Jeep Gladiator Diesel with a manual transmission {filename}
Sponsored

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
yep i mostly drive old crap & im always disappointed with modern tech in vehicles i do prefer basic vehicles that just work unfortunately most of them are either too long in the tooth to be reliable or too collectable to treat the way i treat cars

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've had the (dis)pleasure of driving a friend's F150 recently, and it reminded me that I really don't want an automatic transmission.
Must have been an older model, because the 10R80 they are using now is a dream. People all over the web are raving about it. It's so good that guys are taking those trucks to the track and beating sports cars. The shifts are crisp and firm, yet not violent. They are also MUCH faster shifting than even a professional driver can shift a stick. When pushing the F-150 or Mustang hard, the 10-speed auto shifts like something you'd expect in a supercar. But when putting around town, shifts are smooth and efficient. It's pretty amazing. There are videos of wide open throttle runs to 100 MPH where the tach needle never falls below 5,000 RPM. Just awesome stuff.

I love my 850RFE in the JL. But I think the FCA software kind of saps it. It could be better if they'd have just left the ZF programming intact. Nothing that can't be cured with tuning.

OP
OP
fixbroke

fixbroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Must have been an older model, because the 10R80 they are using now is a dream. People all over the web are raving about it. It's so good that guys are taking those trucks to the track and beating sports cars. The shifts are crisp and firm, yet not violent. They are also MUCH faster shifting than even a professional driver can shift a stick. When pushing the F-150 or Mustang hard, the 10-speed auto shifts like something you'd expect in a supercar. But when putting around town, shifts are smooth and efficient. It's pretty amazing. There are videos of wide open throttle runs to 100 MPH where the tach needle never falls below 5,000 RPM. Just awesome stuff.

I love my 850RFE in the JL. But I think the FCA software kind of saps it. It could be better if they'd have just left the ZF programming intact. Nothing that can't be cured with tuning.
True - it was an older 4-speed F150, so not a fair comparison with a modern slushbox. I also test drove a ZR2 and didn't seem to mind the 8-speed in that truck nearly as much. However, even with a modern auto I'd still miss that clutch pedal!
Sponsored