Sponsored

How Much is too Much? (Towing Question)

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
So, the JTR is on order and will be here sometime. We also ordered an RPOD 196 travel trailer (that will likely be here before the Jeep).

UVW on the 196 is about 3600lbs. Add 500lbs of water and camping crap and we will be about 4100lbs in this little single axle trailer. I feel that will be an okay tow knowing the limitations of the V6.

RPOD just released a new camper. It's double axle and weighs 4600lbs. Add in 500lbs of water and gear I would be at about 5100lbs tow weight. Is that doable or would it just be horrible and not worth it? Would the double axle help with towing enough to offset the huge weight gain?

Thoughts? I have never really towed with anything less than a Dodge Dually or a Volvo with a D13.
Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Remember that you need to account for all gear and people beyond the driver as well. I wouldn't go more than 6000 lbs fully loaded if it were me.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Despite the advertised ratings, in my experience that's a tall order for a 3.6L V6 Pentastar, especially after adding water, gear and people.

Double axle is an advantage for some situations but as far as tow capacity is concerned, it only adds weight and decreases your towing capacity.

If you're not towing frequently, or not towing in hilly terrain, you should be okay, but I'd recommend at the very least a weight distributing hitch. This will distribute the load more evenly across all wheels, most importantly the steering wheels, which would otherwise become "lighter" and risk losing control.

The 3.6 Pentastar is an okay tow motor, just not a great one, so adjust your loads accordingly. I have a manual transmission so I'm biased. Autos with the same motor will likely tow better.

Congrats on your new JTR and camper! Whenever possible, make the trip to the camp site with the water tanks empty and fill up at the site. Should be doable if you plan to travel light.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
My gut says prolly ok. JTR rated at 7K. You're at about 75% of that. Plus, unless they're changing the profile of this new camper, it has a low rounded profile unlike most travel trailers. If it has a traditional tall wide profile, then it will catch much more wind and tow 'heavier'.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I would rather tow a 6000lb tandem axle trailer than a 4100lb single axle trailer. There are plenty of threads where people have towed maximum, or even more in some cases, and the Gladiator does a good job. It is all up to what you are comfortable with.

but I have towed a whole lot and I can say without reservation that anything over 2500 lb should have a tandem axle, especially behind a mid size truck b

Sponsored

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
So, the JTR is on order and will be here sometime. We also ordered an RPOD 196 travel trailer (that will likely be here before the Jeep).

UVW on the 196 is about 3600lbs. Add 500lbs of water and camping crap and we will be about 4100lbs in this little single axle trailer. I feel that will be an okay tow knowing the limitations of the V6.

RPOD just released a new camper. It's double axle and weighs 4600lbs. Add in 500lbs of water and gear I would be at about 5100lbs tow weight. Is that doable or would it just be horrible and not worth it? Would the double axle help with towing enough to offset the huge weight gain?

Thoughts? I have never really towed with anything less than a Dodge Dually or a Volvo with a D13.
curious how your JT is handling that camper? We are looking at getting an RPod 192. I plan to add the brake controller and weigh distribution hitch, but this will be the first time I pull something with a truck that did not have a HEMI in it... thanks!

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
curious how your JT is handling that camper? We are looking at getting an RPod 192. I plan to add the brake controller and weigh distribution hitch, but this will be the first time I pull something with a truck that did not have a HEMI in it... thanks!
Hey There,

We picked up our 202 in January. It is a pretty big camper for the Gladiator in my opinion but I have only towed it once, from the dealer to storage. We will be doing our maiden voyage in a few weeks.

The trailer is big and heavy and I feel like it is pushing the limits of the Gladiator. I know there are lots of folks on the Facebook groups and here that are towing bigger trailers and maxing out the Rubicon and Max Tow ratings but I don't think its really healthy for this rig. I will see how this does as we get more miles on it and report back but I don't think you will regret staying with the smallest/lightest trailer that meets your needs.

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
Hey There,

We picked up our 202 in January. It is a pretty big camper for the Gladiator in my opinion but I have only towed it once, from the dealer to storage. We will be doing our maiden voyage in a few weeks.

The trailer is big and heavy and I feel like it is pushing the limits of the Gladiator. I know there are lots of folks on the Facebook groups and here that are towing bigger trailers and maxing out the Rubicon and Max Tow ratings but I don't think its really healthy for this rig. I will see how this does as we get more miles on it and report back but I don't think you will regret staying with the smallest/lightest trailer that meets your needs.
Thanks for the honest feedback. I hope it works out for you. We are putting a deposit on the 192 tomorrow... stay tuned. I appreciate the input

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired