Sponsored

How significant is the Hardtop Headliner Option?

Would you add on the Hardtop Headliner for the JT?

• Total voters

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
As mentioned many times from posts above, the headliners do provide a little noise reduction and insulation. Is it worth $595? Absolutely not.

We have a JLU MOAB so the headliners already came with our Jeep. However, I would NOT purchase the headliners from the factory. Aftermarket is cheaper, still over priced for what they are, but cheaper nonetheless. If you are handy, I would checkout the headliners in person and just make your own. All you need is velcro, sandpaper, and whatever material you wish to use for insulation. I definitely would NOT pay $595 for what Jeep gives you.
Sponsored

Jrtyler99

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I live in Oklahoma (hot summers!) and have a JK with the black freedom tops. I have never really noticed noise (except maybe on interstates), and never noticed heat that the AC couldn't cover. I will probably get the factory headliner to improve the interior looks and possibly help some with highway noise. For those that don't have it- the freedom top is great. Get a ceiling winch and easy peasy! 1 person install/remove and drive under storage

Karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I've owned a JK Sahara and currently a JL Sahara both with hard tops . I've never had an issue with it not being lined at all. I live in NH where we can have brutal winters and it's never been an issue

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Never have lined my hard top -- pricing seems way too high for what little noise reduction you'd receive. Living in Houston, I've never had any huge heating needs, especially with the industrial blaster furnace of a heater my JK has...and for these 100+% humidity days, the JK air conditioner works just fine.

chr15m

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
Ive looked at it in the JL. I honestly think you could accomplish similar if not better results on your own for less. You could either use just some closed cell foam or a combo of aluminum/butyl mat and closed cell foam. The only draw back would be that its not fabric covered like OEM. The CCF would bring down the heat some, the combo would bring it down a little more as well as kill some vibration noise. You're not going to get a major sound reduction though, most of the noise from driving will be through the windows and seams, then the doors and floor from tires and such. You could cover a HT with probably only $150-200 of this stuff, so it is cheaper.

Just an idea for options, but you can use other manufacturers.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Waterp...s=gateway&sprefix=closed+cell+,aps,210&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deaden...GSBW8KFJY15&psc=1&refRID=ER7NFM2N6GSBW8KFJY15

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I think it's a great option, but I think their price is ridiculous. I'll be buying a HotHeads version as soon as they have it available. I understand it to be thicker/better insulating and cheaper than Mopar (at their price on the sheet.)

Buying the Mopar version for Wranglers on Amazon is cheaper too, so again... would wait in either case.

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Slightly off topic -- how much (anybody's guess as to right now) does the back portion of the hard top weigh??? On my JK 2door, the back portion having 3 windows is heavy as a MoFo and very unbalanced...

I'm hoping this hard top will be much more manageable and certainly lighter...

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Buying the Mopar version for Wranglers on Amazon is cheaper too, so again... would wait in either case.
Almost any ‘factory’ option that you can buy from the parts department will be cheaper to buy online after purchase - liners, roof racks, floor mats, etc... it’s easy to lose sight of the difference between $200 and $275 when you’re in the middle of buying a $45,000 vehicle, but it does add up. I try to leave all those things off the order sheet and get them from amazon, eBay, or a dealer with a cheap online department.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Slightly off topic -- how much (anybody's guess as to right now) does the back portion of the hard top weigh??? On my JK 2door, the back portion having 3 windows is heavy as a MoFo and very unbalanced...

I'm hoping this hard top will be much more manageable and certainly lighter...
I don't have a weight, but I did an extended test drive of a JL last year... I pulled the Freedom Panels off to compare them to my JKU, they advertise the new material is lighter. I will confirm that it is. So... the JT will have 1 rear window and enough to cover the back seat and be a lighter material. I think it will be MUCH more manageable. (I can lift and move my JKU top, but it's just big enough to be unwieldy when trying to take it off and move it. I look forward to being able to go topless without calling a second pair of hands over.)

jonl

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
I put Dynamat on first, then the Jeep brand headliner and it helped a ton with sound and heat on my 16 JKUR. Mainly sound. It's not a Cadillac, but a lot better than stock. I drive a lot and on the phone for my work, so I needed it for Bluetooth. I plan on doing the same to my LE.
Sponsored