DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well done!
On another forum the administrator suggested that brace. We had several talks. Now I’m on his .... list.
Brace is good if you need more strength. That’s my thought anyway.
Back in 1972? I adjusted lash in steering gear easily and this adjustment was easy
I told the dealership service department that our steering gear required adjustment That was a year ago. We got our Jeep a year ago yesterday!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
This adjustment was still the biggest help to jeeps with sloppy steering. I stand by it 100 percent. But! If they admit there is a problem, it only makes sense to get the tsb done. I have done all I can to help my situation and others. I am glad Jeep is paying for the steel gear, bolts, and software.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
One year ago we told the dealer service that the steering box needed to be adjusted. They said it was fine. It's a Jeep thing. My thought: perhaps they're not paid for adjustments. Maybe they need to throw parts at the Jeep to be compensated for work done. In the last year we've complained a number of times...
Finally the TSB came out.
With FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care we're scheduled to have the steering gear replaced soon. And FCA Jeep Canada knows about the first dealer who refused to do the TSB.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
This adjustment was still the biggest help to jeeps with sloppy steering. I stand by it 100 percent. But! If they admit there is a problem, it only makes sense to get the tsb done. I have done all I can to help my situation and others. I am glad Jeep is paying for the steel gear, bolts, and software.

Well its finally done. Here are the impressions from a guy that has done just about every thing you can do to the steering of a Jeep Gladiator.

Showtime

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have a ‘21 with the black steel box and my steering was still sloppy. I tightened it the same way. I tightened it a hair too much and, unfortunately, stripped the adjustment screw in the process. It’s an improvement in general. The wheel just doesn’t return the last few degrees after a turn. I’m hoping it loosens up on its own after a little wear. Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I'm attempting to adjust the steering box set screw now and it will not budge. I've loosened the lock nut and put Acetone around the threads and let it sit for awhile and tapped on the top of the set screw to try and loosen things but the set screw has no intention of moving in the lock nut at this time.

This is a 2021 Mojave and the steering box is completely painted black with what looks like black paint or locking material on the set screw threads. I've not tried heat yet and don't want to go that route unless its the only way.

Any suggestions on freeing up the set screw before it strips out the Allen hole?

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
Update: I read back through some posts where heat is recommended to loosen the set screw so I used the smallest flame I could get out of my propane torch on the top of the set screw and it loosed the locking goo. I had marked a starting point on the lock nut and set screw but it was impossible to read the set screw mark after the flame job.

I first loosened the set screw out of the lock nut about 20 degrees to get some lock goo out of the way then estimated tightening back that 20 degrees then about 20 degrees more for a total of about 20 degrees change. I tightened the lock nut the best I could with a box end wrench so I could watch any set screw change while tightening the lock nut and there was none. I then used a socket to tighten the lock nut to its original factory location after it had cooled down.

Before making this adjustment my truck was not bad driving around town but on the freeway it was getting annoying needing way more attention to stay in my lane than I'm used to. I found the far right lanes where big trucks travel were the worst with my truck probably trying to follow the ruts in the road left by the big trucks. Far left lanes where less of a problem.

With the truck factory stock I measured about +/- 3 degrees of steering wheel travel before hitting a reasonable amount of resistance while parked. I didn't measure the exact travel right after the set screw adjustment but there was virtually none. After a test drive on local streets and the freeway the improvement was immediately noticeable with the truck handling more like the 2008 Tundra it replaced. After the test drive I measured +/- 1 degree of steering wheel travel with the same amount of resistance that produced +/- 3 degrees of travel before the adjustment and it feels a tiny bit better after the test drive like that loosed things up very slightly. I used a Theodolite app on my phone for a precise measurement.

The return to center after a turn was not very good when stock and I don't see any change in that, it returns to about 5-10 degrees of straight in either case. I might attribute that to toe in or camber and I will probably experiment with a slight adjustment of toe in next week using some instructions on this forum.

Overall this was a very easy and painless adjustment and had I known to use heat on the set screw the first time the adjustment would have been done in about 10 minutes including taking out the air ducting. The only minor problem is buggering up the plastic rivet things that hold the wiring down, there is no way to release the grip and you just have to pull them out which will tear up the gripping ribs. They went back fine and work ok but the ribs are damaged.

I'm attempting to adjust the steering box set screw now and it will not budge. I've loosened the lock nut and put Acetone around the threads and let it sit for awhile and tapped on the top of the set screw to try and loosen things but the set screw has no intention of moving in the lock nut at this time.

This is a 2021 Mojave and the steering box is completely painted black with what looks like black paint or locking material on the set screw threads. I've not tried heat yet and don't want to go that route unless its the only way.

Any suggestions on freeing up the set screw before it strips out the Allen hole?

Last edited:

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Supplement: Jun 18 2020
I can’t believe I just found this post and YT video today. Did the exact same thing as you and just about gave up…until today!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
This is great. Realistically changing the "backlash" of this gear should not void any warranty. Those marks are not going to be exactly the same on every vehicle and the adjuster is there to correct it is its off. It would be pretty tough to prove it. :)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Realistically changing the "backlash" of this gear should not void any warranty.
Unless you go too tight. You'll know if you do LOL
There is a paragraph on that adjustment in every TSM I have that covers steering gear overhaul and adjustment.

The spec for older Saginaw steering gear is - - gear on center, put a torque wrench on the pitman shaft and turn in an arc not exceeding 20 degrees (to keep the gear centered) and adjust screw until there is 4 to 8 inch pounds resistance in excess of total preload and drag- which you have already set, supposedly.
Since this is the bench adjustment after overhaul, you can't do this in vehicle without disconnecting the steering column shaft and removing the pitman arm.
You adjust the valve assembly drag, then the pitman shaft thrust bearing preload, or drag, is to be 1 to 2 inch pounds over that, then you adjust the overcenter screw for 4 to 8 over the total so far.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I made this adjustment the other day, and it was a phenomenal and immediate improvement to the steering. But it still has just a little play in the wheel, especially with the wind on the highway. So I’m wondering how far of an adjustment is too far?

I did the adjustment to my wife’s aluminum steering box and did a full 1/4 turn. And on mine I did a little shy of a 1/4 turn. I will probably address mine today and move it to the full 1/4 position.

But since I’m playing a territory, I’m brand new to I’m curious with how far is considered too far

373767E0-EB46-47FF-9CB2-938F7E0C641D.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As the steeri g sector heats if it's too tight it will bind (and of course lead to accelerated wear)
The internet experts are of course shade-treeing an adjustment that has a real spec to it but rather than show what's really going on and what they are playing with. It's just yeah, whatever, it's your truck. Most wont keep em long enough to care if they went too far. My tip.... Sneak up on it, none of this 1/4 turn at a time crap. If it's that loose there's a problem with it. It's supposed to be a preload spec.
There's a whole paragraph on that in the books but the real experts on yt know better. Adjust till it feels good lol

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
As the steeri g sector heats if it's too tight it will bind (and of course lead to accelerated wear)
The internet experts are of course shade-treeing an adjustment that has a real spec to it but rather than show what's really going on and what they are playing with. It's just yeah, whatever, it's your truck. Most wont keep em long enough to care if they went too far. My tip.... Sneak up on it, none of this 1/4 turn at a time crap. If it's that loose there's a problem with it. It's supposed to be a preload spec.
There's a whole paragraph on that in the books but the real experts on yt know better. Adjust till it feels good lol
haha fair enough.

I definitely take everything on YouTube with a grain of salt. I was just curious if anyone else has done the adjustment and where they adjusted it to.

it certainly doesn’t feel terrible at the current setting. But I think it could feel just a little better without being too too much. Especially after how my wife’s wrangler feels with her adjustment.

Time will tail If this was a worthwhile endeavor i suppose

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
You know, I'll never understand how people will do every mod you can think of to their vehicles outside ot the manufactures original design but in the next breath critique a modification they don't like. Sounds like you should run for political office.

The amount of time and money I have saved people with this mod far outweighs the forum fanbois and those who would rather just keep it in spec.

Do these people push their glasses up by the nose piece and says aCtUAllY. Behind the keyboard?

My mod has since been replaced with a steel box and I did this to the steel one too. Still running fine.

Just give my followers an update.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Who said anything about "keeping it in spec" or that it was even in spec to begin with.
However, a blanket "this IS how to fix loose steering" isn't correct either - it could be that the gear is out of spec, or could be another issue.
My reman steering gear in another vehicle is about to get adjusted properly to take out play that has appeared as things have worn in.
Last year I did the one in another vehicle - it's got 100,000 miles and of course there was wear. After all new steering parts - ALL new - it was obviously play in the steering sector.
As gears wear and burnish - or even if they aren't done properly from the beginning, they may need attention.

Can't call what you did a "mod"- if properly done, it's an adjustment.
If there truly is play, then the preload is gone (or was never there). You can check that very easily. Best to check first before just jumping in because if the play isn't due to the steering gear, she'll bind up. But some, like another "fix" I know of, was very sure ALL WANDERING was due to tire pressure. Didn't even know the proper names for the bolts they were using.

People I know were simply saying "be careful" -there are other causes for play, and going TOO far can lead to issues down the road (or off the road when it gets hot.)

Sounds more like it wasn't awakening a thread to update as much as something else............
Sponsored

Last edited: