Sponsored

How to Protect Against Paint Chips on Door Hinges?

Panther69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingray Gladiator Mojave
Ouch!! After seeing this, I made some PPF hinge protectors for mine. At least it will help some. I had already done the rest of the truck... overkill, I know, but that is what we do at my shop, lots of tint and PPF.

Glad Hinges.jpg
Is this the 3M film? If so whats the application process for pieces that small? I watched some videos on people using all sorts of solutions and squeegees but was hoping for a section this small it’s just clean area and stick.
Sponsored

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Is this the 3M film? If so whats the application process for pieces that small? I watched some videos on people using all sorts of solutions and squeegees but was hoping for a section this small it’s just clean area and stick.
That’s what I did. Nothing fancy, just cleaned the area (post touch up paint) and stuck it on. Made a crappy template so all would be at least similar shaped/sized. Haha. Works well, even though I have already beaten up one of them to hell. Need to re-do that one.

Panther69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s what I did. Nothing fancy, just cleaned the area (post touch up paint) and stuck it on. Made a crappy template so all would be at least similar shaped/sized. Haha. Works well, even though I have already beaten up one of them to hell. Need to re-do that one.
Thanks. It looks like you just did a small rectangle to protect the front of the hinge only? Seems to me this would be the only vulnerable area anyway. Rather than some that are covering the entire hinge.

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Thanks. It looks like you just did a small rectangle to protect the front of the hinge only? Seems to me this would be the only vulnerable area anyway. Rather than some that are covering the entire hinge.
Yup! That is definitely the hot spot. Here’s a pic of mine:

Jeep Gladiator How to Protect Against Paint Chips on Door Hinges? A7F8F2B4-E1C3-48AE-A1E7-1FE419CB89C7

The bottom wraps most of the hinge and the top is just the front. Seems to do the job though.

Panther69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup! That is definitely the hot spot. Here’s a pic of mine:

Jeep Gladiator How to Protect Against Paint Chips on Door Hinges? A7F8F2B4-E1C3-48AE-A1E7-1FE419CB89C7

The bottom wraps most of the hinge and the top is just the front. Seems to do the job though.
Awesome. Thanks. Just ordered some.

Sponsored

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
I just did this tonight. Make templates and start cutting. I just use sharp scissors. No need to mess with soap and water for these pieces. Just don't touch the sticky side when applying or you'll see the fingerprints. Peel the backing back about halfway line the edge up where you want it. Stick and peel back the rest of the backing and stick. It's super easy. Most time consuming part is tracing and cutting. Have fun.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Rok Blokz Mud Flaps ... I installed a set of these after getting a rock chip on my passenger side window. They also help preserve your rear fenders

jefrac

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '08 Porsche Cayman, '06 Lotus Elise
Occupation
Business Owner
Mine are Xpel because that is what we install at my shop, but any good PPF will work fine. You already got some good advice on install... super easy. Misting a little water on the area will make it easier. I also did the RokBlok mud flaps on the front. They make a huge difference.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Mine are Xpel because that is what we install at my shop, but any good PPF will work fine. You already got some good advice on install... super easy. Misting a little water on the area will make it easier. I also did the RokBlok mud flaps on the front. They make a huge difference.
I'm convinced. Ordered a 2" strip 36" long directly from Xpel. $5.91 shipped! Thanks.

Panther69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did this tonight. Make templates and start cutting. I just use sharp scissors. No need to mess with soap and water for these pieces. Just don't touch the sticky side when applying or you'll see the fingerprints. Peel the backing back about halfway line the edge up where you want it. Stick and peel back the rest of the backing and stick. It's super easy. Most time consuming part is tracing and cutting. Have fun.
Thanks. Worth it in my opinion. My wife’s Mojave is only a couple months old and has a big chip on a hinge. I just got mine yesterday so trying some prevention.

Sponsored

ryan141

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ, 2021 Grand Limited, 2021 Mohave
Occupation
Engineer
Wait, you and your wife have JT's?? Man I would love it if my wife had one as well.

Panther69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait, you and your wife have JT's?? Man I would love it if my wife had one as well.
Yes. She got a Mojave back in January. I was driving a 2015 jku and had no plans to change...until I drove the Mojave. Had to get one and we were fortunate enough to be able to do it. Plus my daughter got the jku so she’s pretty pumped about that!

ryan141

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ, 2021 Grand Limited, 2021 Mohave
Occupation
Engineer
Yes. She got a Mojave back in January. I was driving a 2015 jku and had no plans to change...until I drove the Mojave. Had to get one and we were fortunate enough to be able to do it. Plus my daughter got the jku so she’s pretty pumped about that!
I kept my TJ for my youngest son (caused some issue with the 2 older boys) and bought my JTM after my wife got a new Cherokee but man I wish she would have wanted a 392 Wrangler! Maybe I can convince her? She does have a lead foot and loves a v8. ;)

Deleted member 30519

My Amazon hinge covers have held up pretty good since last summer and coming out of a really bad winter.
Sponsored