Sponsored

How to spot a Mall Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Rock slide engineering,best purchase ever!
I want a set so bad, but I don't have $3,000 for a set of steps...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Diaster

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter
I'm always puzzled by people who install lift kits and huge wheel/tire combos, then bolt on side steps that hang down 18". Any attempt at actual off-roading would result in constantly being hung up on those steps.

RTS37DG48.jpg
I think it just has to do with looks some people to jack the truck up just to see over other cars on the freeway and look good running around town. Maybe they spent a lot of time and flatlands and have mud and rivers to worry about as opposed to rock crawling

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I think it just has to do with looks some people to jack the truck up just to see over other cars on the freeway and look good running around town. Maybe they spent a lot of time and flatlands and have mud and rivers to worry about as opposed to rock crawling
I can see that. As mentioned above, some people need a step to get in and out. Mrs. Klutch is 5' 2" and she really appreciates the factory side steps on my truck. But it's not lifted and tricked out to be a rock crawler. That's what puzzles me. Where I work, I see Jeeps and SUVs with a LOT of expensive, off road kit along with those low-hanging steps.

OP
OP
Diaster

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
This is so true! on top of that, we have like NO legal wheeling areas. We always have to go outta state. Couldn't really use your Jeep if you wanted to...
That’s the left for ya!

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I know a fellow with a 2003 H2 and the 4 factory steps. He'd destroyed 7 of them as of 2017.

He doesn't wheel hard, at all, they just get ripped off in passing.

Those steps look like they would hang up the truck!

I'm always puzzled by people who install lift kits and huge wheel/tire combos, then bolt on side steps that hang down 18". Any attempt at actual off-roading would result in constantly being hung up on those steps.

RTS37DG48.jpg

Sponsored

Imbuere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I bet the guy who owns that Jeep is the coolest and most popular dude at the Blue Oyster Bar. :like:
I was thinking something like Twin Peaks.

I was just thinking that... Street tires, lowering the rear, never removing the top, and probably never using 4x4 (given the other choices)... Then why at that point even buy a Gladiator or Wrangler?
I took my top off one time when I swapped the black textured for a white hard top. I'll take it off again when I get my pop top. I've also used my JL off-road probably more than 95% of the people here. This things are not related at all.

Gene26

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepgladiatorforum.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Launch Edition 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 Ram Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
New Yorkers should be exempt from being called "mall crawlers" when the roads are as treacherous as some trails. :CWL:
What are these things called paved roads? I live in a town of 100,000 people and most of the roads are graded dirt. That lead to miles of sand and stuff. I trail ride just getting to and from work.

OP
OP
Diaster

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
I was thinking something like Twin Peaks.

I took my top off one time when I swapped the black textured for a white hard top. I'll take it off again when I get my pop top. I've also used my JL off-road probably more than 95% of the people here. This things are not related at all.
It’s just so nice driving with the top off whether you’re on road or off the view in the mountains is incredible

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
How to spot one? Most jeeps are one so just assume 8 out of 10 are, lol.

Deleted member 30519

What are these things called paved roads? I live in a town of 100,000 people and most of the roads are graded dirt. That lead to miles of sand and stuff. I trail ride just getting to and from work.
Yeah.. paved roads with with 8" deep pot holes bigger around than a pizza pan. That's not to mention the uneven 2" raised endings at crappy road work that will send both wheels in the the air.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I want a set so bad, but I don't have $3,000 for a set of steps...
Oh it stung,,,,, until I started using them everyday. I broke my back in highschool and my wife is short. So it really has been awesome. Never regretted it yet!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Oh it stung,,,,, until I started using them everyday. I broke my back in highschool and my wife is short. So it really has been awesome. Never regretted it yet!
Yeah, I trashed mine in a motorcycle wreck in 2008...Permanent nerve damage and disc damage. I feel your pain. It sucks.

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
I just assume everyone who owns a Wrangler or Glafiator I see on the road is a mall crawler where I live. It’s pretty obvious to me whether they are modded or not. Mud or dirt under the fender liners, or not perfectly clean under carriage. I’ve kept my Gladiator fairly clean recently after over half a year of not washing it once, and for the life of me, short of scrubbing with a brush and soap my undercarriage can’t get that dusty dirty look off.

Now that said...my local dealership said about 90 percent of the Rubicons they sell never see dirt at all. These mall crawlers will one day be the ones that people look for. Low mileage and the “never been off-road” moniker.
Sponsored