Sponsored

I finally figured out what's bugging me about the looks of the soft top...

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
A picture that says it all!

Ive bee saving to buy the mopar top....still hoping that bestop comes up with a less expensive option on the aftermarket. Considering they make the current mopar top they could get profit on both ends of the market.

Sponsored

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don't know why Jeep opted for the man bun look vice being able to retract the soft top all the way back. If that was an option I would have gotten it over the hard top. But I just can do the man bun look. No offense to those that have it, it's just not me.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
How else could they design it so it didn’t obscure the rear window and didn’t take up any part of the bed, all while allowing that top to be completely open?

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t love they way it looks, but I can have the top off, or on in under 10 seconds. All with nothing to store such as panels. I guess it’s all about gives and takes!

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
How else could they design it so it didn’t obscure the rear window and didn’t take up any part of the bed, all while allowing that top to be completely open?

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t love they way it looks, but I can have the top off, or on in under 10 seconds. All with nothing to store such as panels. I guess it’s all about gives and takes!
If the top folded all the down and secured to the back bed frame behind the rear seats headrest there wouldn't be any obstruction. Just have the top follow the roll bars all the way down.

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future

Ive bee saving to buy the mopar top....still hoping that bestop comes up with a less expensive option on the aftermarket. Considering they make the current mopar top they could get profit on both ends of the market.
YES! Due to the season of ordering, I'm starting with the hard top, and my plan was to buy soft next spring. I might even wait another year if nothing is still available. I'm not a huge fan of how that Mopar one works. I want it all the way down and I don't care if it gets in the way of the bed a little bit.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, it looks a bit goofy just put down. However, though my 2007 JK has long since been modded to make it difficult to use the soft top, I did switch out tops for quite a few years before it became more difficult. And never once did I put the soft top down. However, many, many times I did remove the soft top altogether. It took me about a half hour, by myself, to remove all four doors, install the rear view mirror, and remove the soft top. I also have the Mopar Sun Bonnet and Besttop Duster, which is my favorite configuration for the JK. The JT is a little more challenging to remove the top and doors because of the more delicate electrical connections for the doors, as well as the door holder. But only slightly so. I guess the way to think about it is, if you have the soft top, you're likely to drive top and doors off lots more often than if you have the hard top. Please bear in mind that my rigs are never parked in the garage (half workshop, half Tenth Anniversary Trans Am storage). So, fairly easy removal and reinstall is necessary or it won't ever happen.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey

Maybe they have changed their plans but I spoke with Bestop some months ago before I went in search of a someone selling their premium soft top and was advised they had no plans anywhere in the near future regarding a new top design for the JT that goes all the way to the back. So I went ahead and got a premium top at a good price. Wish the bun wasn't there but I don't worry about it or let it stop me from taking the top down all the time. Only really notice it somewhat is when on the freeway at higher speeds

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
The only soft top running modes that look good to me are all buttoned up and doors, sides and rear window removed with the top still in place. With the top back, it reminds me of some of those ghetto mods done to look cool but hideous in execution. Unless things change, the hard top is my only choice.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
The only soft top running modes that look good to me are all buttoned up and doors, sides and rear window removed with the top still in place. With the top back, it reminds me of some of those ghetto mods done to look cool but hideous in execution. Unless things change, the hard top is my only choice.
Agree here, my favorite is running with the just the top, it’s kinda like my old full range Bimini top. Plus it keeps the rain and sun off, and looks cool too.

And if I’m feeling self conscious, I put the top back when I’m driving home and it’s dark so no one can see the man mullet lol.

I think a cool option for a soft top would be soft removable freedom Panels. Then if you did need to fold back the rest of the top my guess is the rear section would be a lot smaller and less noticeable.

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I wasn't a big fan of how it sat open at first but after using it a few times, it grew on me. Like others have mentioned it allows us to have the top open and closed in seconds. It can't go all the way into the bed for several reasons - what if you want the top open and the bed is full? Plus, for that to work, the arms would need expand as you fold it back and have more pivot points, etc... that'd be a nightmare.

When you are driving with the top open enjoying the weather you really shouldn't be thinking about how it looks back there. If you are... you have other problems to worry about first.
Sponsored