Sponsored

I finally figured out what's bugging me about the looks of the soft top...

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
If the top folded all the down and secured to the back bed frame behind the rear seats headrest there wouldn't be any obstruction. Just have the top follow the roll bars all the way down.
Where would the axis point be? To get back that far it would have to fold in front of the rear door windows. Also how would it make it over the back roll bars to make it down that far? It’s not like a JL where you have all that room behind thr back seat.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'd have to remove it completely if mine was installed, all yeah I can do that with the hardtop.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Honestly the convince of it got me over it in the first time I opened it, really didn't care how it looked.

Now that rear window on the other hand is secretly the worst part. Such a pain to get than thing back in and store it when it is out. Don't get me wrong I am glad there are no zippers, but getting that bottom plastic tab in towards the middle is not fun.

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Where would the axis point be? To get back that far it would have to fold in front of the rear door windows. Also how would it make it over the back roll bars to make it down that far? It’s not like a JL where you have all that room behind thr back seat.
Not sure I'm following you, they could use the bend in the rear roll bar as the axis point and continue to slide back and rest in the same location you bolt the hard top to, the rear flange behind the seat. And even if It fell on a portion of the bed, I would still be fine with that. I'm no engineer for sure, but I'm pretty sure they could have figured something out with all the minds working together over in Toledo. It's kind of a mute point though since it will probably never come to fruition.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Funny but I have to admit that this is the nicest Jeep soft top I’ve ever had. Looks goofy but can’t see it from the drivers seat.

Sponsored

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Not sure I'm following you, they could use the bend in the rear roll bar as the axis point and continue to slide back and rest in the same location you bolt the hard top to, the rear flange behind the seat. And even if It fell on a portion of the bed, I would still be fine with that. I'm no engineer for sure, but I'm pretty sure they could have figured something out with all the minds working together over in Toledo. It's kind of a mute point though since it will probably never come to fruition.
I understand what you are getting at but I’m sure all of the engineers and designers went over this in great length and determined the most practical way for it to open and that’s what we have. If it was to sit anywhere else, it would either block the bed, block the back doors, block rear visibility, or fold up so complex it wouldn’t last.
The good thing is that it is an option and if a buyer doesn’t like it, they don’t need to pay for it. Even if another company makes one eventually they are limited on where it can store without having to remove pieces.

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Honestly the convince of it got me over it in the first time I opened it, really didn't care how it looked.

Now that rear window on the other hand is secretly the worst part. Such a pain to get than thing back in and store it when it is out. Don't get me wrong I am glad there are no zippers, but getting that bottom plastic tab in towards the middle is not fun.
some owners said they had an easier time with those when the top part hasn’t been fastened down yet - to relieve some tension.

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
Bridges not so much, garages yes... don’t ask. ‍:facepalm:
I've only "forgot" and pulled into my garage FOUR times now with the soft top open...What are you talking about?!?!? :blush: Haven't had to replace the garage door yet...ONE more time and I may not be as lucky.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
They couldn’t even figure out how to make a top that doesn’t have a channel that empties all the roof water in your lap... I’m not sure they work together in Toledo... lol

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
They couldn’t even figure out how to make a top that doesn’t have a channel that empties all the roof water in your lap... I’m not sure they work together in Toledo... lol
Valid point!

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I've only "forgot" and pulled into my garage FOUR times now with the soft top open...What are you talking about?!?!? :blush: Haven't had to replace the garage door yet...ONE more time and I may not be as lucky.
I have to say the soft top is built like a tank... took the garage door off the rollers every time.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
Mine wasn't the garage door, it is the front wall of the garage above the opening. The top hits about 6" above the door opening, house is fine minus a couple small dents but the soft top front rail was destroyed. Not buying a third soft top for now, really wish Bestop would design a top that slides down the back and sit on the bed/tonneau. Similar to the Wrangler design.

Horde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Does it look weird? Yes
Is it easier to open up the soft top then removing the hard top each time? Yes, 10
Seconds vs Ten minutes.

and Yes, watch out for clearance at a garage.

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Does it look weird? Yes
Is it easier to open up the soft top then removing the hard top each time? Yes, 10
Seconds vs Ten minutes.

and Yes, watch out for clearance at a garage.
The two freedom panels literally take seconds to remove. Now the rest of the top does take about 5 min once you get the knack for it.

Horde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
The two freedom panels literally take seconds to remove. Now the rest of the top does take about 5 min once you get the knack for it.
I removed the hard top enough times this season to know it would be just easier to buy the soft top which I found easily and cheaply on Kijiji. If I got caught in the rain, which can happen, with the hard top off then I would be screwed. With the soft top its a quick ten seconds.

I'm glad I bought even though it looks silly.
Sponsored