Sponsored

I let my ASS be used for the 1st time...

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I make it a habit of hitting that ASS every chance I get...

Run / ASS / Shifter in one fluid motion

It's become a natural, unnoticed operation just like checking mirrors and blind spots.

Having the EcoDiesel , I don't want it shutting off and on needlessly.

IMHO , diesel engines don't respond well to this regimen.
Same here start it and hit the ass button
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I make it a habit of hitting that ASS every chance I get...

Run / ASS / Shifter in one fluid motion

It's become a natural, unnoticed operation just like checking mirrors and blind spots.

Having the EcoDiesel , I don't want it shutting off and on needlessly.

IMHO , diesel engines don't respond well to this regimen.
IMO, diesels are better off running, however, diesels are the first vehicles targeted in all of the anti-idling laws across the country! Yup, let that diesel run for over xx and get a ticket. There's a growing number of laws across the country aimed at idling vehicles and the first targets are diesels. Ironic since modern diesels run with few emissions and get better mpg at any speed.

kilroy173

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Tj, Gladiator Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
The only thing I really hate about the auto stop-start is when I pull into my driveway and it shuts off for a split second and then turns back on as a shift back into park only for me to shut the engine off. I used my tazer and just leave it off all the time now.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. We officially have a rerun of a rerun of a rerun of a rerun thread all reiterating the same of all of the other threads.
No real logic and there will never be a conclusion, just "I love to express my hate of this stupid thing I don't really get".
What's this one - number 11 of "why I hate ESS even though I don't really know for sure why, I just do".
😁

Forum pool - who will draw up the official chart? How much per prediction?
I predict at least 6 pages.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
There's proof from independent research showing it DOES save fuel. My wife and I have both found the same. It works. Edmunds says their testing showed 7%-10% fuel savings - the savings obviously depend in the individual driver, the vehicle, but most of all, the driving conditions (city vs. rural, a lot of stops vs. a few and so on)
There have been other tests done by other entities that have proven it DOES save fuel.
Time to research instead of knee-jerk reactions like hate of what's not understood.

Sounds to me, since you mention "hesitation" that you drive as if on a quarter mile track looking for a 0.001 second reaction score.
I've never really felt it was "hesitating" but then I tend to be observant while driving and the engine is running by the time my light is green.

These systems have been around for many years, and have been used by multiple auto makers for as long.
I've never had any negative impact with any of our Jeeps that have this system other than battery issues - but that's not due to the ESS, it's more the batteries themselves, and the lack of tighter control over the aux battery charging methods.
Agreed, it does save gas. But results will always vary.

Even before modern ASS, HyperMilers have been shutting off their engines at stop lights for years.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Yup. We officially have a rerun of a rerun of a rerun of a rerun thread all reiterating the same of all of the other threads.
No real logic and there will never be a conclusion, just "I love to express my hate of this stupid thing I don't really get".
What's this one - number 11 of "why I hate ESS even though I don't really know for sure why, I just do".
😁

Forum pool - who will draw up the official chart? How much per prediction?
I predict at least 6 pages.
The more new members a forum gets. The more times the same questions will be asked in new threads. They fail at search.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The more new members a forum gets. The more times the same questions will be asked in new threads. They fail at search.
On the flip side, panties get twisted by many if someone bumps a dormant necro thread to continue the same subject rather than start a new thread.

If one is a masochist for repeat content, a forum like the oil related one bobistheoilguy.com is your place. I pissed a few off there saying the could lock the forum from new posts for at least 5 years because there has been no original new content posts for the last 5 years as everything is a rehash of a rehash.

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I trust the people smarter than me have designed the system to function for a specific reason with zero negative impacts. I've had start/stop in a few vehicles and my previous etorque ram had it which was a much more smoother transition but it doesn't bother me. I don't get the negativity of this feature...maybe to someone who's never had it and isn't used to the shutting on an off...who knows
They were mandated by the federal government. It was a solution looking for a problem.

And if it were “designed right”, there wouldn’t be so many issues with batteries and charging and ESS not available messages.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
It saves fuel, especially in stop and go traffic and and when your at a full stop for a extended period of time. Anyone that says other wise is just blowing smoke. As far as the the battery life and starter, haven't heard of anyone replacing a starter because of it but the battery is hit or miss. In right at 60,000 miles on mine and I had to replace my big battery at 57,000 miles and it cost me $300 at the dealership or I could of paid $86 to tell me it was the big battery and then paid around $180 at advance for a new battery. For reference I had it checked at advance auto and it said the big battery was good but dealership's machine said otherwise and the dealership was accurate because everything is working great now.

I also have a friend with a JLU with ESS and it has over 140,000 miles on it and he's still running the original batteries in it. I tried to figure up the mpg savings a while back and it seems like a little over a mile per gallon on mine is saved by using it and not using it and that was over about a 6 week period. That may not seem like a lot but anything's better than nothing and what's it gonna hurt.

Sponsored

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm not here to argue. This is a completely worthless thread that won't provide any solution to problems that a few people have.
It is completely useless, yet somehow you chimed in on it?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
On the flip side, panties get twisted by many if someone bumps a dormant necro thread to continue the same subject rather than start a new thread.
Yeah, that definitely happens. But the fact they bumped a 2 year old thread at least shows they look around a little bit first.

I pissed a few off there saying the could lock the forum from new posts for at least 5 years because there has been no original new content posts for the last 5 years as everything is a rehash of a rehash.
Many forums lock threads that have not had new posts in 2 years or more. There's a Jeep forum or two that do that among others. It's not uncommon. I'm not sure why since from a search and database perspective using an existing thread is more efficient (we pay dearly for all the SQL space used at the AMC forum (I am the one that pays the bills there - we encourage people to not start new threads and the mods there (mods the co-owner and I chose) sometimes clip posts to the old thread and remove the new one.))
So as a forum admin and mod there, I scratch my head sometimes and have to just shrug.

They were mandated by the federal government. It was a solution looking for a problem.

And if it were “designed right”, there wouldn’t be so many issues with batteries and charging and ESS not available messages.
No, not a mandate. These systems have been used by non-US based car makers for quite a while. It's a voluntary thing here - earns the car maker CAFE credits. They can choose to not use it - and suffer CAFE numbers that would likely result in the Gladiator being discontinued.

Again, so many posts not based on research and facts - the ESS is NOT the cause of the battery issues. The battery issues would be the same or at least similar if you keep ESS disabled - or not disabled. ESS isn't the battery killer here.
I really have to laugh at the "if it were "designed right"................." bit because those messages are there precisely because it WAS designed right as far as the ESS itself. The battery charging - another topic very unrelated to ESS itself.
But the not available messages are obviously something people decide to not try to understand and see the logic and reasoning behind all of the checks ESS does before the PCM decides to stop - or not stop - the engine.
Haters will hate instead of trying to understand and find facts -
and not the "facts" from "ESSsucks.com" and the like.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase