Sponsored

Idle at start up

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 96 Chevy 3500, 89 XJ (project)
yup, only 1600 miles on mine and it idles up to about 1400 for a couple min even in mild temperatures. i am also a manual it is annoying if you have to take off somewhere quick,
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is every modern day vehicle. My work truck (2020 Silverado) does the same thing. My 2004 F250 6.0 does the same thing. They do that.
Not just modern vehicles, but like I said, even early EFI did it.
1987 4.0 with the Renix system did, 1994 ZJ 4.0 did (well, still does - not LONG and not as high as a carbureted engine, but they do it)
It's really dependent on the temperature and I've found mine does it more if it's been sitting a while as well as cold temperatures.
They also temper the return to curb idle when you let off - that's emissions. It's just how they are.

yup, only 1600 miles on mine and it idles up to about 1400 for a couple min even in mild temperatures. i am also a manual it is annoying if you have to take off somewhere quick,
Why? Push in the clutch, shift into gear - go.
Again, I go back to - that's how things have been.

People apparently forget how they grew up driving sticks (or automatics - that's WORSE because when you put it in gear, it's a big load on things)

I struggle to see the annoyance when things have been this way since forever.
700 rpm with a carb on the high idle cam is different than 1000 rpm with EFI.
700 is idle speed. That's curb idle for some. Some were lower. But fast idle - on the fast idle cam was always way over 1,000 RPM.
So how did you drive a stick when the idle was doing 1200-1400 RPM until the choke warmed up - and even then, likely about 1,000 RPM for a minute or two.
You missed the point - on the fast idle cam you have a stepped cam where it starts off with an idle of generally over 1500 then drops to subsequent steps as it warms.
So how is a stick on high idle with choke partially on, idling at 1,000-1,200 RPM different than 1,000 with EFI?
If your carbureted vehicle doesn't idle over 700 when cold, it was never set correctly.
I'm talking idle speeds of WAY higher than you guys are complaining about. 1,000 is nothing at all compared to how it was years ago. I know - I've rebuilt and properly configured hundreds of carburetors - even have fuel system certification from the 1970s.

No, what I'm talking about is worse than what these do. These are mild compared to anything from 20+ years ago.
So you press the clutch, put it in gear and drive it. No big deal.

1st car - 3 speed
2nd car - 3 speed
3rd and 4th cars both AMXs with 4 speeds
First Jeep - 5 speed.
Eagle SX4 back in the 80s - 4 speed hydraulic clutch (which went out in downtown of the city I lived near - slave cylinder failed)
And several since then including my 4.0 powered SX4 with a 94 Jeep engine.
All of them through the AMXs had fast idle speeds higher than what anyone here is talking about - makes me wonder how we survived all of those years if 1,000 RPM is too fast. We lived with higher idle speeds than that.
(a couple of cars I had needed idle speeds of 1,000 RPM or so just to keep them running due to the cams)

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I have its at 16000 miles. It still looked yellow. Wasn’t sure if I should spray some cleaner on it. This is the air temp sensor correct?
Not just any cleaner, use Mass Air Flow cleaner.It’s supposed to look yellow. Your just spraying off any micro film of oil that will be on it. Don’t touch it with your fingers
Sponsored

Last edited: