Sponsored

If I cancel Sirius, what (besides music) will be affected?

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
So in other words if all the trials expire and I do not renew anything will the nav system still work as usual?
Yes, you just won't see traffic overlays and it won't route based on traffic events.
Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
SeriusXM Guardian gets me a nice discount due to its theft alarm notification and Stolen Vehicle Assistance on my insurance so I keep it. Plus I like all the other features they have.

I renewed the music at 6 months because they gave me a cheap offer and I use it every day.

Last edited:

VolInGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Overland
sort of, but not 🤪 There are 3 services from Sirius that we all got when we bought our JT's:

SiriusXM "music" - 6 month trial

SiriusXM Travel Link - 60 month trial

Sirius XM Guardian - 12 month trial

Guardian is contracted separately from the Music/Travel Link services, so its expiration/lapse has nothing to do with the others. It doesn't even appear on your Sirius account with the music/travel stuff. This is the remote lock/unlock/start/theft alert stuff

Music requires that you put down a credit card in order to activate it if you want to use the App to stream. Once you put in a credit card, it will auto-renew - there is no "lapse", you have to call and cancel.

When I called to cancel my music so it would not auto renew at month 7, they also canceled the remainder of my 60-month travel link, which I did not want them to do - they fixed that.

I don't even know if you can do this - but if you never gave SiriusXM a credit card and activated your service officially, then I have no idea what happens when the 6 months is over for the Music trial. Has anyone gone this route?

EDIT: and to be clear, the OP didn't ask about lapsing, he asked about canceling, so I assume he has an active subscription. I could be wrong.
I’ve never given them a credit card number. The music just stops working after six months. Best to let it expire and they will send you an offer for another year for $5 after a few weeks of ignoring their incessant phone calls.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have the music, no Guardian and after reading this thread I guess the Travelink. Uconnect doesn't work on either of my jeeps. What subscription does it need to run properly?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have the music, no Guardian and after reading this thread I guess the Travelink. Uconnect doesn't work on either of my jeeps. What subscription does it need to run properly?
You have to pay for the Guardian Service to use the Remote Functions in the Uconnect App.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Just tell them you can’t afford it and they will wheel and deal for both the radio and the services if you want them

I have the radio for a year for $90
And for the gaurdian services I had to cancel and wait 2 months but got a year with full services for $160

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I let the music expire. Couldn't stand the low bit rate quality. I have the travel-link and coughed up for the Guardian. I get "free music" trials every once in a while and they just convince me that I don't want it. Sounds like talking through a soup can. Spotify premium and Qobuz are my music sources, but I also use it on a nice home stereo and an older car with a custom audio system where you can tell the difference. Pandora on the rare occasion. I get $5 offers weekly for the music service.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Coincidently, my S-XM free bee expired recently, and I called yesterday and told them $30 a month was too much so they gave me one year at 15$/month...So for (now) I will keep it.

I'm not rally a radio person anyway, yea, sometime you hear a song you like but most of the time it is something that just like being noise in the ear.

Also, the XM channels aren't what they are all cracked up to be, for example, Seriously Sinatra sounds good on "paper", but usually you get a ratio of 1 Franky song to 4 others of his era (like Ela Fitzgerald, Sammy Davis, etc.). Nothing wrong with the latter, but they aren't exactly Sinatra...

I do like Willy's Road House though, that is what "real" Country music is meant to be. Not sure about the crap these young cowboys and cowgirls are putting out today, but it ain't no dang'Country! - LOL! 😉

Anyway, it is so easy these days just to program your own memory stick and listen to your favorites when you want rather than listen to stuff some radio "jockey" thinks you want to listen to.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rainman519

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks Jeepers! Some good info to take into account for my decision. I have an active subscription for a cheap price, but I just don't listen to the radio that much (thumb drive or Bluetooth thru my phone). Used to when I was on the road more, but now, it's just an added expense I don't need. Just wanted to ensure I kept active navigation etc before I tell them to pound sand. Thanks OHJeeper for the great breakdown. Think I'll pull the trigger on cancellation and report back as to what I keep/lose.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I had my 8.5" display(radio) replaced. I received a used one that s-xm was still active from the previous owner. The only thing working was xm. The off road pages, apps (uconnect) and others were missing. Once I got with the dealer and S-XM to first cancel the previous owners subscription and then register the radio as mine, only the S-XM feature worked. The next day the off road pages and apps (uconnect) showed up on the screen.

I'm thinking that if I let it expire the off road pages on the display and uconnect apps will stop working. The navigation function was working, but I'm sure other features within the navigation would not work as it also took 24 hours for these to appear on the map. I never activated the guardian service.

I wish I knew more about how it all works. I'm not a fan of S-XM. On my last road trip, I listened to Pandora via Bluetooth. $60 for each vehicle per year is kind of worth keeping for out of cell tower range areas.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks OHJeeper for the great breakdown. Think I'll pull the trigger on cancellation and report back as to what I keep/lose.
Take a screenshot of your current subscription showing the expiration of the Travel Link trial, etc. That way you can prove it was 60 months - otherwise (guaranteed) they'll cancel it all and you'll have to fight (a little) to get it back.

Also, for those hunting for bargains - my wife has had XM for 10+ years on various vehicle, which is why I don't pay for mine (I use the app with her login and stream it). She's been getting it for $60/year pretty regularly after I cancel and go through customer retention folks. Not the top-of-the-line package, but the Mostly Music which is fine for her and the kids.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I had my 8.5" display(radio) replaced. I received a used one that s-xm was still active from the previous owner. The only thing working was xm. The off road pages, apps (uconnect) and others were missing. Once I got with the dealer and S-XM to first cancel the previous owners subscription and then register the radio as mine, only the S-XM feature worked. The next day the off road pages and apps (uconnect) showed up on the screen.

I'm thinking that if I let it expire the off road pages on the display and uconnect apps will stop working. The navigation function was working, but I'm sure other features within the navigation would not work as it also took 24 hours for these to appear on the map. I never activated the guardian service.

I wish I knew more about how it all works. I'm not a fan of S-XM. On my last road trip, I listened to Pandora via Bluetooth. $60 for each vehicle per year is kind of worth keeping for out of cell tower range areas.
Offroad pages has nothing to do with XM. That was a coincidence. Uconnect is using Guardian, so yes, that will stop (remote start, etc).

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
Offroad pages has nothing to do with XM. That was a coincidence. Uconnect is using Guardian, so yes, that will stop (remote start, etc).
I don't have guardian or travel link that I know of, only xm radio. I can remote start so what do I know about what I have. Thanks for that info. Is the remote start that you are talking about from the key fob or from a third party like Onstar? I declined to activate these services at the time of purchase. The salesman was guiding me through the setup and I just said skip it. The xm was already working so when it came time to renew, they offered it for $60 and it renewed again for $60 for the next year.

I guess I don't understand how it all works like the OP.
Sponsored