I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So after looking a long time and brainstorming this out. The solution for me was to go with the Max Modular 18" rack ( the aluminum one ) and the hardware for the JT trail rails. The rack arrived today and with trepidation I unboxed and unwrapped everything and inspected it all.

Fearing the worse and going into this knowing I might be repainting this whole thing at some point. I was pleasantly surprised to find none of the pieces blemished in regard to the powder coating. I found one shipping ding and that was it.

The powder coat looked as good as anything I have seen before but time will tell. I use my Jeep and expect more than the average wear and tear so anything I bought will need touch ups down the road. Build quality is pretty damn good on inspection but we will have to see how this goes together and how good the tolerances are.

I'm a pretty picky guy in this respect coming from a 35+ year career as a toolmaker., not much in the Jeep after market world has impressed me to the point of not saying "With the right tools I could have done a much better job" but production is productions and the smaller the market the harder to make a product good and make money.

Here's a pic of the only flaw I found.
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack IMG_3996
Sponsored

Djkemeneur

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
So after looking a long time and brainstorming this out. The solution for me was to go with the Max Modular 18" rack ( the aluminum one ) and the hardware for the JT trail rails. The rack arrived today and with trepidation I unboxed and unwrapped everything and inspected it all.

Fearing the worse and going into this knowing I might be repainting this whole thing at some point. I was pleasantly surprised to find none of the pieces blemished in regard to the powder coating. I found one shipping ding and that was it.

The powder coat looked as good as anything I have seen before but time will tell. I use my Jeep and expect more than the average wear and tear so anything I bought will need touch ups down the road. Build quality is pretty damn good on inspection but we will have to see how this goes together and how good the tolerances are.

I'm a pretty picky guy in this respect coming from a 35+ year career as a toolmaker., not much in the Jeep after market world has impressed me to the point of not saying "With the right tools I could have done a much better job" but production is productions and the smaller the market the harder to make a product good and make money.

Here's a pic of the only flaw I found.
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack IMG_3996

Can you share a picture after your install?

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you share a picture after your install?
Here you go, A few hitches on the install needing some on the site modding so it took a good deal longer than expected there were several minuses that would have tell folks what to be aware of. But the build quality was quite good. I just had issues with the JT trail rail brackets for the tonneau cover.
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack IMG_4014.JPG
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack IMG_4015.JPG
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack IMG_4016.JPG
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack IMG_4017.JPG

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
Looking forward to the details of what needed to be done, as this is looking more and more like my RTT solution (really want to keep the tonneau cover)

Roguesalt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thought Provoker
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. Have they / do they respond online? I have yet to see them respond to any of my posts about their product on this forum.

As I've documented, I bought their brackets (they made me buy components I didn't need after they changed their policy halfway through my project) and I painted over their paint. Their brackets seem to be very well made and nicely painted.
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack 2E3668BA-E127-47CA-A908-C77551EAD014

Appreciate the design ideas. I have a bit more fan I'm gonna do between the towers. But a huge cost savings. And Scott was great. I just need to find a tonneau cover now. Although I'm considering a diy truck boxes

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack 2E3668BA-E127-47CA-A908-C77551EAD014

Appreciate the design ideas. I have a bit more fan I'm gonna do between the towers. But a huge cost savings. And Scott was great. I just need to find a tonneau cover now. Although I'm considering a diy truck boxes

So you got Scott's brackets! First one's I've seen - looks great! Nice one-piece design instead of the 2-brackets for each tower that I had to use.

I helped Scott out with the dimensions so his brackets would work with the tonneau cover (well, they should). I need to hit him up for a set at a big discount :rock:

Roguesalt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thought Provoker
Vehicle Showcase
So you got Scott's brackets! First one's I've seen - looks great! Nice one-piece design instead of the 2-brackets for each tower that I had to use.

I helped Scott out with the dimensions so his brackets would work with the tonneau cover (well, they should). I need to hit him up for a set at a big discount :rock:
Well since people don't know the search feature you should get a finders fee for every set you refer to him that is sold. Just saying a gift card or something. I mean your providing a service :)

Roguesalt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thought Provoker
Vehicle Showcase
I also have a combat kargo safari basket I want to mount on top. Not sure we are going the rtt right now. I may try to make one. But for know we will need the storage

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
I also have a combat kargo safari basket I want to mount on top. Not sure we are going the rtt right now. I may try to make one. But for know we will need the storage
Well since people don't know the search feature you should get a finders fee for every set you refer to him that is sold. Just saying a gift card or something. I mean your providing a service :)
Can you give me the spacing between the holes on the bracket that goes into the Trail Rail?

I'm wondering if I can bolt those onto the Ace Upper Decker.

I have an Ace Engineering Upper Decker (https://aceengineeringandfab.com/collections/gladiator/products/ace-jt-gladiator-upper-decker) that I would like to put rails on top of, for a rooftop tent, bikes, etc...

As you can see from the link, the Upper Decker has holes on the top and the side. The holes on the top are exactly 2" apart (center of the hole to the center of the hole), and are ~1/4 diameter.

The holes on the side are about 2 3/4" apart (center to center), and are ~1"diameter.

So Scott's brackets can go in the holes, I can use them.

Roguesalt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thought Provoker
Vehicle Showcase
Can you give me the spacing between the holes on the bracket that goes into the Trail Rail?

I'm wondering if I can bolt those onto the Ace Upper Decker.

I have an Ace Engineering Upper Decker (https://aceengineeringandfab.com/collections/gladiator/products/ace-jt-gladiator-upper-decker) that I would like to put rails on top of, for a rooftop tent, bikes, etc...

As you can see from the link, the Upper Decker has holes on the top and the side. The holes on the top are exactly 2" apart (center of the hole to the center of the hole), and are ~1/4 diameter.

The holes on the side are about 2 3/4" apart (center to center), and are ~1"diameter.

So Scott's brackets can go in the holes, I can use them.
Sure I will get you the measurements. That said why not get the rack that they make for the upperdecker. I thought they had one for 150 or something.

Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
Sure I will get you the measurements. That said why not get the rack that they make for the upperdecker. I thought they had one for 150 or something.
I am considering that option. however, the rack only allows for a rooftop tent.

With these, I would be able to put on cross bars, and then put whatever I want on (RTT,awning, etc...). I'd like to have as much flexibility as possible.

I do appreciate the help - actually, if you could give me the spacing for the trail rail bracket AND the other one (triangle shaped tower), that would be better. I may be able to just use that.

Roguesalt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thought Provoker
Vehicle Showcase
I will upload some specs I drew out that might help. I put a shopping list in the DIY section of the forums as well

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
I will upload some specs I drew out that might help. I put a shopping list in the DIY section of the forums as well
I've been in touch with Scott at Compact Camping Concepts, and we figured out a way forward.

Going to get the 4 Towers from him, and then get some angle iron (or maybe Zee angle iron), in stainless steel, in the correct length/width, to mount on top of the Ace Upper Decker (holes drilled in the angle iron to line up with the holes on the Upper Decker and the holes on the Towers).

I got a quote from a local place for ~$160 for the 4 pieces of steel, cut and drilled (that's if I use Zee Angle - I could do regular angle myself, or for a lot cheaper). So that would give me the rail system, on the upper decker, for a total of about $350 in parts (maybe a few dollars more when I take into account bolts and Rustoleum).

That was the only quote I got today - someone else may come in cheaper, too. And perhaps my local car guy can do all the work for less.

Towers are on order. More to follow (pics, etc...) once I get the other pieces fabricated.

Roguesalt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thought Provoker
Vehicle Showcase
Look forward to seeing.

rdcox23

First Name
R.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been thinking about a rack for my bed. Thanks to everyone for sharing info on this thread. I will be contacting Scott when I'm ready.
Sponsored