First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
Yes but I like the look of the bolt heads (I painted mine) on the outside - much cleaner. I went with shorter bolts
What size bolt did you settle on?
Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
â…ś" ha ha - sorry, I don't know the length but it was just enough to put the two pieces of steel together plus a flat and lock washer and get the nut on.

I'll measure the bolts when I can access the rack (hanging from the garage above my Gladiator) hopefully this weekend

Gordon M.

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Custom woodworking shop
Vehicle Showcase
I've been spending many days getting the Gladiator ready for the Death Valley trip. Over the past weeks I've been looking at the available aftermarket racks and the racks that folks have had built. Lots of inspiration to help me with my project.

My needs for a rack are pretty simple:
  1. It needs to be removable: Check! 8 bolts and it's off
  2. It needs to allow my factory tonneau cover to be completely functional: Check!
  3. It needs to allow me/my Gladiator carry more gear
  4. It needs to be functional and attractive: Check! It's very attractive to me
It doesn't need to hold a roof top tent (RTT) but I'm sure it could with a couple additional components.

I'll provide more details and pics but here's a sneak peak (it's only about half complete)...

rack-1-jpeg.jpg
I used the voodoo over the tonneau brackets with a little wider stance for my hard roll tonneau. Like your idea of keeping the bed clean and free from dust and dirt.
Im also a huge fan of multipurpose with ease of assembly or unassembled. It’s like you can drive a different jeep each week.

A5F92CEF-E8EA-4256-932D-5D3468430821.jpeg

1A34FB85-43E2-45D3-897C-9DDFFF0B55F4.jpeg

B8729989-614A-41E1-825A-749D895EBF9E.jpeg

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @bheath-atx

OK, the bolts I used to attach the upper brackets (tower brackets) to the lower brackets are 3/4" long (x â…ś") - they're just long enough to bolt the components together with flat washers and nuts and minimize interference with the factory tonneau cover.

See pic below - the black is remaining spray paint and the stuff on the threads is remnants of Blue Thread Locker...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack GladiatorRack - 1

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't 100% happy with the 14-gauge Superstrut I used as the cross pieces on my rack. They worked fine, looked good and held up well but they did flex/shake a bit more than I wanted so...

This weekend I updated my rack as i removed the 14 gauge Superstrut ("Strut") and replaced it with 12 gauge Superstrut both of which I prepped and then spray painted with Black Rustoleum Galaxy Metallic paint (detailed in previous posts in this thread).

Here you can see the 2 versions of the Superstrut sold at Home Depot. I purchased 2 pieces and cut to length with a fresh hacksaw blade then prepped and spray painted.

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 4.19.55 PM

I also replaced the Spring Nuts (right) with the Cone Nuts (left) - they work much better for this application. I used â…ś" Stainless Steel bolts that I purchased at Lowe's (Lowe's specialty hardware choices are superior to Home Depot's)...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 4.26.12 PM

Here's the 12-gauge Strut installed (2 pics follow)...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack GladiatorRack - 2

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack GladiatorRack - 3

You can see the metal basket in the bed of the Gladiator as I will be putting that back on the cross bars (cross Struts).

I purchased these brackets at Home Depot (in the same area as the above Superstrut products) which I've painted and I'll use to attach the Basket to the cross bars...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 4.28.43 PM

Sponsored

RemodelMonster

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350 CC LB 4X4 PS, Chevy Bolt,
Occupation
General Contractor - remodeling Bathrooms and Kitchens
It seems like you started this build before you decided which tonneau to go with. I know that you ended up with the Mopar soft rolling tonneau, but did you ever research whether or not the Bakflip Revolver X4 would fit? Seems like the track for the X4 would intrude mostly into the bed and would be compatible. I think that the rolled up height would be around 7-8 inches. What do you think?

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
are we talking about bolt envy here ...…...everyone concerned about bolt size, size doesn't matter...mwahahahahah...jk projects look great folks

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
It seems like you started this build before you decided which tonneau to go with. I know that you ended up with the Mopar soft rolling tonneau, but did you ever research whether or not the Bakflip Revolver X4 would fit? Seems like the track for the X4 would intrude mostly into the bed and would be compatible. I think that the rolled up height would be around 7-8 inches. What do you think?
Who are you talking to? Mine came with factory cover.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Roland, who ARE you talking to? My Gladiator came with the factory tonneau so I was designing and building my rack based on having that on the truck.

RemodelMonster

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350 CC LB 4X4 PS, Chevy Bolt,
Occupation
General Contractor - remodeling Bathrooms and Kitchens
Hey Roland, who ARE you talking to? My Gladiator came with the factory tonneau so I was designing and building my rack based on having that on the truck.
Sorry Dan, I've been looking at too many threads trying to find a diy bed rack that was compatible with the Revolver X4. Your project is one of my favorites and looks to adaptable to my needs. My JTR didn't come with the Mopar rolling tonneau.

One of your pictures makes the factory tonneau look pretty big and wide when rolled up. Makes me optimistic that the X4 could work with your system. I saw the posts from the guy with the Ace Upper Decker and thought that it would be okay to ask if anyone with a different tonneau might have figured out if your project could be adapted to a hard rolling tonneau.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry Dan, I've been looking at too many threads trying to find a diy bed rack that was compatible with the Revolver X4. Your project is one of my favorites and looks to adaptable to my needs. My JTR didn't come with the Mopar rolling tonneau.

One of your pictures makes the factory tonneau look pretty big and wide when rolled up. Makes me optimistic that the X4 could work with your system. I saw the posts from the guy with the Ace Upper Decker and thought that it would be okay to ask if anyone with a different tonneau might have figured out if your project could be adapted to a hard rolling tonneau.
No need to apologize! Just trying to help others while I do my bed rack thing (including an update coming shortly)

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
are we talking about bolt envy here ...…...everyone concerned about bolt size, size doesn't matter...mwahahahahah...jk projects look great folks
We haven't even started talking about NUTS :LOL: that go with the bolts

i-love-nuts-5b44c4.jpg

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Revisions to the Perfect-for-Me-Gladiator-Rack...

As noted above I replaced the lighter, shorter profile 14-gauge Superstrut crossbars with the taller profile, heavier 12-gauge Superstrut crossbars:

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack gladiatorrack-2-jpe

And then, instead of installing the steel tube Basket in the center, I moved it over to the passenger side. I used the above mentioned Superstrut U-bolt Channel to Beam Strut Clamps to secure the Basket to the crossbars.

Next to the steel tube Basket I installed a long gun Case - it's a made in China Case identical to this one sold by Harbor Freight - this Case is very common on the internet - companies buy them in bulk and resell them with their name on them. It's decent quality for the price and for this application I had no need to spend 2X this or more for a higher quality name brand product that is more than what's needed.

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack 64520_W5

https://www.harborfreight.com/mater...f-protective-rifle-case-long-black-64520.html

Here you can see some pics of the installation of the tube steel Basket and the Long Gun Case next to it...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack GladiatorRackRevised - 1

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack GladiatorRackRevised - 2

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack GladiatorRackRevised - 3

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack GladiatorRackRevised - 5

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack GladiatorRackRevised - 4

I suppose it's worth noting that the Case is NOT used to hold or transport firearms. I'm using it for a variety of gear including some recovery items, jumper cables, first aid kit and a recovery strap.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a pic with the rack revisions - larger crossbars (Superstrut), tube Basket, long gun Case and the factory tonneau cover in place...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 2.09.30 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just got a PM asking me for info on the components I used so I figured I'd bring most every item together in one post...

Everything is in this thread but here are most of the components and/or links to them:

The Stainless Steel T-Nuts for the Trail Rail are from Amazon:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rfect-for-me-gladiator-rack.27705/post-537427

I used 8 brackets (2/upper bracket) from Max Modular - that info is here. They are good brackets but too much $$$ partly because they wouldn't sell me just the brackets - they made me purchase them with their other bracket components.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rfect-for-me-gladiator-rack.27705/post-448686

But you can go with 4 brackets if you use the ones now made by Scott Chaney at Compact Camping Concepts https://compactcampingstore.com/collections/all
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rfect-for-me-gladiator-rack.27705/post-528897
Scott's email is [email protected]

These are the upper brackets - they also came from Scott at Compact Camping Concepts
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rfect-for-me-gladiator-rack.27705/post-448701
https://compactcampingstore.com/collections/trailer-racks/products/pickup-bed-rail-base-brackets

And the Superstrut I purchased from Home Depot - covered in the most recent posts. The Superstrut comes in 8 foot lengths so you can make them as long (crossbars as wide) as you want. I cut them with a hacksaw using my cheap miter box to keep the cut straight.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rfect-for-me-gladiator-rack.27705/post-537427

I painted all the components with Rustoleum Galaxy after prepping them. The Galaxy (black metallic) paint is great but it's almost impossible to find right now as I'm told Rustoleum has 4 plants closed due to the pandemic. Paint info here:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rfect-for-me-gladiator-rack.27705/post-448708

Tubular Basket is here:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rfect-for-me-gladiator-rack.27705/post-448741

I'm now using the Home Depot sourced Superstrut U-brackets which work much better than the brackets that come with the Basket. I painted them Rustoleum Galaxy Black too.

And the stainless steel bolts I got from Lowe's - they have a much better selection of specialty hardware than Home Depot.
Sponsored