First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
As I’m building out my Gladiator Overlanding rig I’ve notice the rear starting to sag a bit and figured that by the time I add another 300 pounds to what I already have done it would not be acceptable.

The solution? Airlift 1000# airbags!

It took about an hour and a half to complete the install and I was able to restore the Jeep to its original stance. I’ve installed the bigger brother of this kit (5000#) on my F-350 and have had it for 20+K miles without issue so this should last quite a while. The best part? It was only $100!

Jeep Gladiator Improving the weight carrying capabilities of our overlanding Gladiators 5600A018-0F0A-432E-BA0A-D30A3150BF83
Jeep Gladiator Improving the weight carrying capabilities of our overlanding Gladiators 70E9942E-E940-44AA-993E-640A7510A71A
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
What is the part number of the kit you used?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Just remember that exceeding the GVWR, regardless of airbags, is still unsafely overloading the vehicle.

Kevin

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Reactions: Mac
OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Just remember that exceeding the GVWR, regardless of airbags, is still unsafely overloading the vehicle.

Kevin
Yep I’m building the truck being extremely careful of the GVW. Hopefully I’ll still be under. The Rubicon has relatively soft springs and that’s the reason for the modification.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve installed the bigger brother of this kit (5000#) on my F-350 and have had it for 20+K miles without issue so this should last quite a while.

I'm waiting for Air Lift to ship a complete Smart Air kit to my local shop so they can install it on my F350. Gonna be great!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yep I’m building the truck being extremely careful of the GVW. Hopefully I’ll still be under. The Rubicon has relatively soft springs and that’s the reason for the modification.
Similar for the Overland. The Rubicon has softer springs so it will flex better, articulate, is my thinking. It has a higher weight carrying ability but the soft springs just don't do well with that weight rating. And in your case, you are overlanding with a Rubicon so need to use the weight ability more than flexing through rocks - at least that's how I'm taking it.
I put concrete landscaping blocks on a receiver mounted carrier after getting my truck and found that I could make that thing sag a lot and still not be over-weight. The max tow springs resolved that. Now to make it sag badly I'd have to be abusing the truck. I did the spring swap not so I could carry more - it's so I could carry without it dropping like one of those sick looking modified trucks with their butts on the ground just carrying the thousand or so pounds it's rated for.
Too much droop changes the headlights, changes caster, changes steering, handling, braking and with your air bags - when you truck isn't hauling, you can drop it back and maintain normal height.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
There are aftermarket +1" springs available that are a stiffer option than the Rubi springs.
If you have that much weight, you probably wouldn't see the 1" increase in height.

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My solution for the JTR was custom springs. I worked with a local shop for my Icon 2-1/2" lift and their recommendation was instead using the Icon springs, they would order custom springs from Deaver Spring Inc. for a load rating of 900#-1200#. This did the trick. It eliminated the sag, returned my factory rake and have so far done a great job on our 2 week tour through the Colorado mountain passes. The custom rear springs were only $800 upcharge to my lift.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My solution for the JTR was custom springs. I worked with a local shop for my Icon 2-1/2" lift and their recommendation was instead using the Icon springs, they would order custom springs from Deaver Spring Inc. for a load rating of 900#-1200#. This did the trick. It eliminated the sag, returned my factory rake and have so far done a great job on our 2 week tour through the Colorado mountain passes. The custom rear springs were only $800 upcharge to my lift.
At least air bags let you adjust for the load - air down, not stiff when not loaded, sits down nicely under unloaded/normal conditions and a better ride. Air up for a heavier than normal load.
The problem with springs is they WILL sag with enough load - changing handling and headlight position. When not loaded, they are stiff and higher.
Can't say they aren't stiff because they have to be to carry the load.

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
Not knowing what springs he got for those custom ones but I do know some springs set up for heavier loads have multiple spring rates in one coil, where the stiff part wont move unloaded but it would have a softer portion that will. Under load the soft portion coils would likely touch but then the heavy lift part of the coil takes over. Would still give an overall better ride with all load conditions but wouldn't fix the sag aspect.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not knowing what springs he got for those custom ones but I do know some springs set up for heavier loads have multiple spring rates in one coil, where the stiff part wont move unloaded but it would have a softer portion that will. Under load the soft portion coils would likely touch but then the heavy lift part of the coil takes over. Would still give an overall better ride with all load conditions but wouldn't fix the sag aspect.
More like the max tow and progressive springs..............

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I put concrete landscaping blocks on a receiver mounted carrier after getting my truck and found that I could make that thing sag a lot and still not be over-weight. The max tow springs resolved that. Now to make it sag badly I'd have to be abusing the truck. I did the spring swap not so I could carry more - it's so I could carry without it dropping like one of those sick looking modified trucks with their butts on the ground just carrying the thousand or so pounds it's rated for.
Or empty. NC banned the Carolina Squat

OIP.jpg
Sponsored