Sponsored

Camping ("overlanding") with the Gladiator

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
We tent camp - have done it for many years and all our gear easily fits in the Gladiator. I could never fit everything I wanted to take with us in our JKU Rubicon - the firewood, water container, and gasoline were always a challenge and typically got left behind. Being able to carry a lot more camping gear was the primary reason the Gladiator ultimately replaced the JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

As detailed in my build thread, I built a rack above the factory tonneau cover. I use the rack to carry our folding chairs, camping table, fire poker, lantern stand and any other long items including a shovel, etc.

The bed is loaded with Rubbermaid Action Packer cases which fit perfectly under the factory tonneau cover. Inside them are camping gear like flashlights, lanterns (I use Milwaukee cordless lights), PT, TP, Eureka Sunrise 9 tent, queen size air mattress, inflator, sleeping bags, camping pillows and blankets. We also carry a Coleman dual fuel stove, dual fuel lantern and a home made DIY camp kitchen box which is the same size as one of the Rubbermaid Action Packer boxes. And we can fit a 5-gallon water container and firewood and there's room for gas (I'll attach it to the rack).

Inside the cab on the platform (where the back seat used to be) is our 12v Whynter fridge/freezer, food and clothes/jackets, etc., and our dog.

loaded-3-jpeg-jpg-jpg.jpg

loaded-12-jpeg-jpg-jpg.jpg

Above pics show the rack before I moved the basket over and added the long gun case (for recovery gear and a first aid kit and TP).
Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the camp kitchen box we built - it's the same size as the Action Packer containers so it takes up the same amount of space and it gives me flexibility when loading the bed.

Jeep Gladiator Camping ("overlanding") with the Gladiator CampKitchenBox - 1

Jeep Gladiator Camping ("overlanding") with the Gladiator CampKitchenBox- - 1

Jeep Gladiator Camping ("overlanding") with the Gladiator CampKitchenBox - 2

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Who are you and what have you done with the guy with the most sarcastic posts !!??

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Great job on that camp kitchen box!

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Who are you and what have you done with the guy with the most sarcastic posts !!??
:CWL: thanks for asking. I think the good news for this forum is I got worn out from having so much fun creating sarcastic memes and posts. It was like shooting fish in a barrel and one thing for sure, this forum has a never ending supply of forum and Jeep noobs to keep us entertained (and frustrated).

Once I get past 2021 feeling like 2020.99 I hope to get back on the sarcastic bicycle and ride again. Happy New Year!

-shooting-fish-in-a-barrel-shitty-fish-pun-3822918.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great job on that camp kitchen box!

Hey, thanks! I created a model using pieces of corrugated boxes cut to size and duct taped together until I had a design that fit all the stuff we need in there. It's got our camping pots and pans, beverage cups, utensils and silverware (clear plastic container in the middle), spices, matches, playing cards and other small items in the 2 slide out boxes, cutting boards, collapsible dish pan, etc.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
It was like shooting fish in a barrel . . . I hope to get back on the sarcastic bicycle and ride again.
Looking forward to it!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nice kitchen box, I need to build one for my RV among other things too. I did build a box for my Sportsman grill. No where near that nice.

Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Can you share details on the rack? Thanks!

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Here's the camp kitchen box we built - it's the same size as the Action Packer containers so it takes up the same amount of space and it gives me flexibility when loading the bed.

Jeep Gladiator Camping ("overlanding") with the Gladiator 58B852AD-B227-499F-B9DF-F4E030021728

Jeep Gladiator Camping ("overlanding") with the Gladiator 58B852AD-B227-499F-B9DF-F4E030021728

Does that box fit under your tonneau? Looks like a classic Boy Scout Chuck Box - which I mean as a compliment!

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does that box fit under your tonneau? Looks like a classic Boy Scout Chuck Box - which I mean as a compliment!
Yes, it fits under the tonneau cover. And I sized it to be the same size as the Rubbermaid Action Packer boxes I use so it'll fit anywhere in the bed with them.

And thanks. I know Boy Scout Chuck Boxes pretty well - thanks for the compliment!
Sponsored