Sponsored

In case you're wondering what the damage of a hitch ball does to a bumper at <5 MPH

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
My quick Google search comes up with it being legal, as long as the license plate is not obstructed, except in California.
Us Californians should be alright considering a Gladiator is considered a Commercial Vehicle, just the same as my 7.3L F-350.

“V C Section 28071 Passenger Vehicle Bumper Requirements
Passenger Vehicle Bumper Requirements

28071. Every passenger vehicle registered in this state shall be equipped with a front bumper and with a rear bumper. As used in this section, "bumper" means any device designed and intended by a manufacturer to prevent the front or rear of the body of the vehicle from coming into contact with any other motor vehicle. This section shall not apply to any passenger vehicle that is required to be equipped with an energy absorption system pursuant to either state or federal law, or to any passenger vehicle which was not equipped with a front or rear bumper, or both, at the time that it was first sold and registered under the laws of this or any other state or foreign jurisdiction.”
Sponsored

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
California seems to be a little similar to Germany in general, laws, with exceptions, like sand on the beach.

CoachA

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
I had an F250 4x4. I was between jobs so for dirt-cheap transportation I bought a crappy, rusty, VW bunny.
I had a mix of sticks and automatics, out of one into another...... but also have severe ADHD (thus the NSS switch wired onto the clutch linkage of my SX4)
I had the Bunny sitting front to front in front of my big red F250. Got in the bunny after driving one of my automatics, turned key (yes, notice I left out put in neutral or press clutch) and bam - VW Bunny started and WHAM, suddenly stopped as I hit my own truck head-on. All it did to either was knock the plastic license plate bracket off the truck, both had decent bumpers, no damage.
Note to self- what was I talking about again?
No wonder the doc put my back on the meds!
Awesome, entertaining, self-deprecating post! Thank you.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I had a Power Wagon back in the eighties, and one of my friends had a new Dodge Omni GLH. I had a custom made front bumper with a brush guard welded on. I pulled in behind him one day while he was doing an oil change on his Omni. After he finished filling it with oil, he reached through the window and turned the key to start it for a final oil level check. This almost new Omni didn't have a clutch safety switch and it was in reverse without the parking brake set. It started and backed into the front of my truck. I laughed, but he was so sick. I got out my can of gloss black and touched up the paint on my bumper. I offered to spray the hatch of his car, but he declined. Goes to show the value of a heavy duty bumper.
Ah, the days of using manual reverse as a parking brake. Remember it well as a not-so-knowledgeable teen many years ago (or too lazy to repair the cable). :facepalm:

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Before you purchase anything, check with your State laws regarding hitches/balls on vehicles when not in use.

In some States that is against the law and the other person CAN be responsible for damages caused.
L word. Sounds like the fella was honest and is taking his lumps for an accident. Leave it at that.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
So for those in the know, same incident with a steel bumper, what would the damage have been?
I’m guessing steel pushes the ball down resulting in just minor scrapes and scratches. Am I mistaken?
You’ve got to think about the small size of the hitch ball and the force of a 2.5+ ton Jeep going 5mph. The steel bumper would have had a good sized dent in it.

It depends on the bumper though. I’m talking if it was the Rubicon/Mopar accessory steel bumper. That steel isn’t very thick.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sleep deprivation + too much on the mind =
DSC06409.JPG

DSC06410.JPG

Was behind someone at Stop sign, was checking for cars and saw street completely empty, started to roll and hit a Volvo with a hitch ball on the back. Was going less than 5 MPH and the impact was so insignificant my dash cam didnt even record it (granted it was on low sensitivity detection).

Pro tip: Don't roll into hitch balls.

Shopping for new bumper now
These hitch balls?
Jeep Gladiator In case you're wondering what the damage of a hitch ball does to a bumper at <5 MPH 56289646-4029-4D46-8F14-2CD04CE9E160

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
If you’re coming south towards DE anytime soon i have both a rubi and sport plastic bumper you’re welcome to for free. They both have minor scratches on them but nothing like that ball tap :LOL:
To add to this, if you're ever in western NC, I have a plastic Willys bumper with your name on it. But I'd recommend a steel one. Which I guess is obvious, seeing as I replaced mine with one. But offer still stands.

Sponsored

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Before you purchase anything, check with your State laws regarding hitches/balls on vehicles when not in use.

In some States that is against the law and the other person CAN be responsible for damages caused.
That’d be a dick move.. here let me not pay attention run into your car then go after you cuz the law says I can because you didn’t take the ball off… I live in ny too and leave my hitch on like most do here. Should someone feel the need to run into me and sue me so be it. Guess how bad my neck and back will hurt after you feel like coming after me cuz you ram into me.?? Christ….

OP
OP
Mister Lamb

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
If you’re coming south towards DE anytime soon i have both a rubi and sport plastic bumper you’re welcome to for free. They both have minor scratches on them but nothing like that ball tap :LOL:
I appreciate the offer. Just had my first baby (hence the sleep deprivation part) so that might restrict me from taking any long drives anytime soon. I also appreciate the eBay link. Unfortunately, the truck is a lease (intend on buying after, just wanted reassurance) so if something goes awry I can't return it with a 3rd party bumper. I am gonna check locally but will keep your offer at the back of my mind!!! Just checked and is about a 3 hour drvie which isnt terrible.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
At least it’s a jeep… you can replace the parts really easy… I ran into a guys hitch with a car… yeah… that cost a lot of $$$ to fix. Lol

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer

I had a moron who leaves his hitch in the receiver rip the bumper of my wife's car. then the moron doubled down and denied it
Don't be lazy, take your damn hitch out.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
I had a moron who leaves his hitch in the receiver rip the bumper of my wife's car. then the moron doubled down and denied it
Don't be lazy, take your damn hitch out.
Best thing against tail gaters. They see that hitch they back off like a b
Sponsored