Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
i don’t think this iPhone feature turns the inReach into doo doo. The iPhone will just be another option in an emergency. The fact they set up a “relay“ to receive emergencies and contact the appropriate first Responders is cool and should limit unnecessary “emergency” responses. The iPhone satellite connect is only “free“ for the first two years, which you have to buy a new iPhone 14 which starts at $799 to use.

This won’t replace the inReach and how I use it. In over 8 years of ownership I’ve never had to send an emergency message beyond letting my wife know I was running late, but it has worked flawlessly for back up communication when beyond cell service for messaging back and forth. Yep there is a monthly plan, but at $12 a month it’s worth it.

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
I was this |__| close to purchasing an InReach but I heard these rumors the last few weeks and held off. Happy I did. I am not due for a new phone but I will upgrade from the 12 to get this feature.

Between camping, biking, fishing, hunting and more, this will be helpful.

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
It’s a great feature.
But another thing to consider - my iPhone will last a day or two with a decent amount of usage.

My inreach the lasts for weeks or months at a time. And is very rugged.

But the more options the better for sure.

OP
OP
Artsifrtsi

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I was this |__| close to purchasing an InReach but I heard these rumors the last few weeks and held off. Happy I did. I am not due for a new phone but I will upgrade from the 12 to get this feature.

Between camping, biking, fishing, hunting and more, this will be helpful.
I too was thinking of an inreach... but wife and I are currently running iPhone X... bought in 2017, so due for phones. This feature just adds more incentive.

i don’t think this iPhone feature turns the inReach into doo doo. The iPhone will just be another option in an emergency. The fact they set up a “relay“ to receive emergencies and contact the appropriate first Responders is cool and should limit unnecessary “emergency” responses. The iPhone satellite connect is only “free“ for the first two years, which you have to buy a new iPhone 14 which starts at $799 to use.

This won’t replace the inReach and how I use it. In over 8 years of ownership I’ve never had to send an emergency message beyond letting my wife know I was running late, but it has worked flawlessly for back up communication when beyond cell service for messaging back and forth. Yep there is a monthly plan, but at $12 a month it’s worth it.
It's actually a little bit more than just communications... it works with GPS to show location in the "Find My" app. But with all the features that it does that the inreach does, I wonder if Garmin didn't have a hand in the development...

Sponsored

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Now they can track you even further off grid!
Each has its own purpose. But ruggedness and battery life would be on the top of my priority list. I'll never own an iPhone but happy to see them pushing the technology.

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
it works with GPS to show location in the "Find My" app. But with all the features that it does that the inreach does,
And that feature had me thinking that’s kind of cool.

It will no doubt be interesting to see how it’s rolled out and used. For me I’m certain it can’t replace the functionality of an InReach in the backcountry.

I wonder how weboost and Starlink will be justified by overlanders for “emergencies” if their iPhone 14 cover that now.

Speaking of Starlink, T-Mo and Starlink are partnering up….

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
From the promo video it looks like they only connect you to emergency services, no personal messaging?
That is not that appealing to me, I’d rather have messaging capability.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Got me all excited until read the article. It's for emergency SOS only. I'd still like to do some non emergency text communication with friends and family especially when we try to locate each other off grid.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
The early speculation was that there would be text options (pure text, no images, video, etc). The rumors were detailed enough to add that the chat boxes would be gray, rather than blue or green, to illustrate that they were satellite texts. Some of the rumors also speculated that you would be limited to a certain number a month, or to a couple of specified contacts.

Clearly that did not come true, but it makes me think they're still ironing out the details and texting will be added 6-12 months from now. Maybe in iOS 17 next year.

Sponsored

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave

I wonder if after 2 years (if you still have the 14) if they'll charge based on messages actually sent or require a subscription. I can see many people thinking they'd never use it and not opt in for a subscription, but the first time a plane crashes in the middle of no where people would want it.

From the promo video it looks like they only connect you to emergency services, no personal messaging?
That is not that appealing to me, I’d rather have messaging capability.
Maybe as a premium feature in the future?

Got me all excited until read the article. It's for emergency SOS only. I'd still like to do some non emergency text communication with friends and family especially when we try to locate each other off grid.
I thought there was something about using Find My to send your location to family / friends...? Maybe if you're both off the grid this would be a challenge.

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Speaking of Starlink, T-Mo and Starlink are partnering up….
I think this is a much more real threat to InReach/Spot than the iPhone. From what I read it'll be for general communication, not just emergency. The iPhone feature is great for people who don't realize they left the frontcountry and get into an emergency situation, but not for offgrid communication like the InReach.

I use my InReach weekly, but have never for an emergency. It's tracking feature is great for my wife to see where I'm at in the backcountry or for us to send messages back and forth. Since I use it for both vehicle offgrid travel and more challenging modes of travel I doubt T-mobile would be a real option either. I'm not going to hang my smartphone off of my rollbar/bike/ski pack for reliable tracking.

That being said, phones have been great at finding people for SAR incidents I've participated in, even in the backcountry by triangulating last tower pings. These sat advancements will be even better for SAR groups.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

The article says the Iphone14 will also allow you to send a message to your family also letting them know where you are. They are going to use compressed messages to the satellite according to the article.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The article says the Iphone14 will also allow you to send a message to your family also letting them know where you are. They are going to use compressed messages to the satellite according to the article.
From the article, my understanding is you can send communication for emergency "Apple promotes satellite communication as an emergency feature, so it’s not meant to replace regular cellular connectivity" and share location with friends/familly. "Once your iPhone is connected to the satellite, you can call an emergency service when there’s no cellular signal coverage from your carrier. Satellite connectivity can also be used to share your location with friends and family via Find My."

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I don't see it surpassing InReach and GlobalSat phones among regular overlanders, off shore sport fishers, sailors, or any other frequent off grid enthusiast. In those markets generally the gear is well established and purpose driven and the people in the know probably already have something.

Where this will find its biggest target market are folks who occasionally go off grid and get accidentally lost and SAR teams need to find them. For that alone, it is an incredible feature and will save lives.
Sponsored