OP
OP
Marshmallow90

Marshmallow90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevy 1500
but to say a dealer is a rip off or pulling something? Isn't that taking it a bit far?
No. Not at all.
I am very conscious on how I spend my earnings. I tend to not be "peer pressured" by anybody.

Sounds more like an untrained or incompetent sales person. How about it being possible it was a newer person, an untrained person, or one who didn't know any better and thought they were helping assuming you REALLY wanted that option, giving you a way to get it?
If you actually read my post instead of jumping down everyone's throat's, you would have seen that I talked with the sales manager, and he told me the exact same thing. Sometimes people suck. Bottom line.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I am very conscious on how I spend my earnings. I tend to not be "peer pressured" by anybody.
Zero wrong with that, not a bit. Too bad others don't watch that. You know what you want, what you don't want (just make sure you know why LOL)

But it's how some sales people work. It's not always a rip-off - it's up-selling.
Sounds like in this case you have run into a very incompetent bunch of people.
I've also found that "sales manager" doesn't always know squat. I've found that out when buying a Grand Cherokee years ago. Sales manager didn't even know what you could get or not get on them. I don't know how he became a "manager" other than he was slick as oil trying to distract you when acting like your best buddy.
Then there's the other sort - the type that accepts what you say you want, even if he knows it's not going to quite do what you want and doesn't try to even tell you about other options. When I bought the guy never bothered to even show any other models or options. He did go over the list of options but never bothered showing a Rubicon, and I had to ask about the Overland.
I was thinking - uh, this is it? You aren't going to show us the other stuff or even try?

Seems there's either high pressure or no pressure or "I'd really rather not even be here" types in sales. At least mine knew his stuff and the small bit he didn't know, he found out on the spot. He was very up front (except on pricing - that torked me)

A good sales person sells solutions. You go in with a problem or a need and they sell you a solution. The bad ones just sell you stuff, even if it's not a solution or what you want.
Then there are those who just shouldn't be in sales.
The problem I see with car sales - no training, lack of product knowledge, they rely on a dozen other people to get them through the day selling. They can't answer simple or basic questions.

In any case - you ran into at best, a very incompetent dealership, or one who wants to sell only certain things and will have hundreds of unhappy customers who have buyers remorse.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Zero wrong with that, not a bit. Too bad others don't watch that. You know what you want, what you don't want (just make sure you know why LOL)

But it's how some sales people work. It's not always a rip-off - it's up-selling.
Unfortunately, it's only upselling if it's something the buyer wants, or at least can be convinced that they want. Why would you pay extra for something you'd rather not have? Most folks who drive stick these days, it's because they want to. It's not like the old days where it was just because it's cheaper

Last edited:

Sponsored

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Time for a cool down. Sales of new vehicles is tough enough with new stock inventory at historically record lows. Very unlikely that your dealer is intentionally trying to "rip you off". It is reality that vehicle order outs are changing (nearly) at weekly levels due to supply and demand issues. Just like the price increases that affected the industry in January and are on the way again.

My guess that is they are misinformed or not up to date on the latest news. Give them a chance.

If you are to order a new Gladiator, do it soon.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
UPDATE:

Emailed a dealer across town. He confirmed that I can get everything, including a manual with the CWP. Going to see them tomorrow.
That’s great news. If you’re able order it, make sure to drive it to the other dealership to show them when it arrives. I’m pretty sure they don’t give a shit, but at least show them they lost a sale and you’re not going to take their up selling because you know what you want and won’t settle for less.

I have a great story when we went to by my wife’s 4Runner, but it will be longer than a shadowpapa reply, so I’ll save everyone the time. ;)

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
"That’s great news. If you’re able order it, make sure to drive it to the other dealership to show them when it arrives."

Be sure to take it there for all warranty issues and service. A guaranteed slow walk IF they decide to touch it at all. Does not matter who started the bitch fight; you are now The Enemy.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
If you're OK with a bit of travel why not hit up Gupton? I just ordered a JL through them and they were about $6k under MSRP, it's great. Message them with your build sheet and Daniel is usually pretty quick about getting back.

lukos333

First Name
Demetrios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma, 2021 JTR Manual
Hey man, got a '21 Rubicon with a manual transmission and cold weather package. It's a must. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

Sponsored

The Welsh Griffin

First Name
TBone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Work in an Oven
1 - do your research
2 - dont be in a hurry
3 - play them against each other
4 - imbelish the deals from other dealers

I emailed over 20 dealers across canada over a 3 week period. I saved over 4 grand off MSRP and added 6 oil changes into my 6yr/100km warranty over there offer of 3. Also dislike the red dash and was given the leather with red trim replacement panels.

Dont be a pu$$y , walk in there like you own the place when your ready. And definetely dont be afraid to walk out.

I'm not giving away my hard earned money because I'm excited to buy a vehicle.

Good Luck Brother....
IMG_5812.jpg

Jerry C

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara 2022 gladiator on order
Occupation
retired engineer
Jeep does strange things. I want the factory black wheels for my 2022 Sport S but could not order them because I wanted the cold weather package. The sales person even called his district rep. He was told black wheels were considered a down grade and I cant get them with the cold weather pkg.

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
22 Mojave with MT and Cold WX Pkg.

I'm just enough of a dick to send a note to the General Manager and Owner of the dealership. They can't fix issues they don't know about and the laziness described is unsat.

Easy answer to minimize the issue of getting stuck with a MT is to insist on a larger deposit. The fact they refused to discuss anything with you most probably isn't incompetence it's the rip off [which someone here nicely put as an upsell].

They no doubt are incompetent---if I were to do the upsell I would extoll the virtues of the automatic; higher tow rating, auto start with the cold weather pkg.

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
22 Willys JT ordered and received recently with MT and Cold Weather Package đź‘Ť

B.G

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GL
Occupation
Biomed
I ordered a 22 last month, manual with cold package. No problems. Currently in D1 status with a ship date for tomorrow (which of course won’t happen). But it’s definitely possible, or at least was last month. Jeep’s ordering criteria seems to change monthly.
Need help how do I track the build of my truck I order it 3-8-22
Sponsored