Sponsored

Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
While the factory LEDs aren't cheap - you have warranty, dealer support (at good dealers), you know they are certified and not just marked like so many of the LED setups you buy online and you are less likely to piss off other drivers (assuming you get them properly/correctly aimed and not just "good enough".
The factory lights are housings and reflectors matched to a bulb or LED array, it's not just "this will fit and give you LED" while sitting in a reflector not made for the directionality of LED output. You'll have the proper cutoff, etc. and they WILL work with your truck, it's not a craps shoot, hoping you can configure and make things work, or turn around and install some other device to force them to work.
Sponsored

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
I put ProComp LEDs on my JK that were fantastic with a lifetime warranty.

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I spent $42 on Sylvania Silverstar Ultras for street use and am quite happy. Enormously better than stock halogens

Then cowl-mounted 5” Mopar LEDs take care of other driving

NortonJTSS

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Hydro Blue
Occupation
👍🏼

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
It is absolutely worth it. Fantastic headlights. They are well designed and I’ve never once had anyone flash their high beams at me.

UnforseenWeather

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave
Occupation
Creative Guy
Grrrrr…

I will say it’s pretty cruddy to go from the HID lights on my old Cherokee Trailhawk to the relatively dim yellow lights on my pickup (that cost a LOT more than the ’Hawk was)… I was just starting to forget about it thanks to the DST change … but now this pops up.

milokeras

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
skoda
Occupation
none
Unfortunately, many car owners think that responsibility does not exist. After all, these are not xenon lamps, which are forbidden to be installed in halogen headlights. But this is not the case. Responsibility exists and is very strict. For example, the driver may lose his driver's license for the illegal installation of low-beam or high-beam LED lamps in the front optics.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Unfortunately, many car owners think that responsibility does not exist. After all, these are not xenon lamps, which are forbidden to be installed in halogen headlights. But this is not the case. Responsibility exists and is very strict. For example, the driver may lose his driver's license for the illegal installation of low-beam or high-beam LED lamps in the front optics.
Losing one’s drivers license over improper headlamps or lighting in general is highly unlikely. Ticket and points on your license is the most likely outcome or a fix it ticket.

And there is nothing illegal about putting LEDs in the high or low beams. What is illegal is improperly angled or improper height of lights resulting in poor visibility or impacts to others visibility.

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
What is illegal is improperly angled or improper height of lights resulting in poor visibility or impacts to others visibility.
There are no laws pertaining to the aiming of headlights, only the aiming of spotlights or auxiliary lights. You are correct that the laws of some states do dictate the height of the lights.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
There are no laws pertaining to the aiming of headlights, only the aiming of spotlights or auxiliary lights. You are correct that the laws of some states do dictate the height of the lights.
There are parameters set forth for manufactures on aiming of the intensity of the beam. Many states have clauses that outline meeting OE specifications which would include headlights. It also specifically states in many state laws that the beam should not be adjusted in a way that they impact oncoming drivers visibility which isn’t just height dependent.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
There are parameters set forth for manufactures on aiming of the intensity of the beam. Many states have clauses that outline meeting OE specifications which would include headlights. It also specifically states in many state laws that the beam should not be adjusted in a way that they impact oncoming drivers visibility which isn’t just height dependent.

I'm not at all saying that lights should not be adjusted to OEM or state standards. The past states that I have been in only specify aiming, on the books, is for aux lights. Maybe states that still perform and enforce inspections still call out headlights, I'm not sure...
Sponsored