Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Every time i start my truck and let it warm up i have a puddle under it. Summer or winter. Initially I assumed it was just a/c condensation. But now that its cold i gave it s little more thought and realized the drips are coming from the rear of the jt not the front.

looking under there i see black soot looking crap on my exhaust and a small hole in the resonator.

is this normal?

15102C7C-D3CC-433F-9B61-628B83B3EC5C.jpeg

E14D5178-92EF-49E7-BED0-FE68FFE49B7D.jpeg
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Can't tell by the pics but are we talking condensation from exhaust? There are multiple drain points and it's also possible to drip water out the very end. The byproducts of perfect combustion are a lot of water and carbon dioxide. Winter or summer, you'll see condensation from exhaust - maybe that's it?

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Condensation. Mine does it also. Havent you ever been behind a car and see water dripping or even running out the back exhaust tips?

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Condensation. Mine does it also. Havent you ever been behind a car and see water dripping or even running out the back exhaust tips?
I have but always figured if it was running out of the tips that was bad.

Thanks folks.

@ADMIN feel free to delete this thread if you want.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Most mufflers and like have "weep" holes to drain condensation to keep them from rusting out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Most mufflers and like have "weep" holes to drain condensation to keep them from rusting out.
Yes - and with exhaust in cooler weather the ends of the exhaust are cooler than the middle and front. That means that once heated, water may not condense at the front pipes or muffler until ir reaches the rear pipes where they are cooler and water condenses out of the exhaust.

If things are working right - these can put out a lot of water and where it ends up will depend on how cool the pipe is that the exhaust is going through. Early on the muffler is cool and a lot condenses there. As the muffler heats, the water stays in the hot exhaust passing through a hot muffler until it reaches the cooler pipes later.

His pic did show a perfect example of the weep hole you bring up.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Mine does it upon start up for a few minutes then stops once the exhaust is hot

Sponsored

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Looks like leaks at the seam. See if you can feel exhaust pulsing while idling.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Water vapor/humidity is ingested during the intake stroke and makes its way through the exhaust system. After 1975, catalytic converters added greatly to the amount of water produced and mild steel exhaust components quickly rusted out. Now we have stainless components that cost more but last longer. The increased production of acid rain is a direct result of the introduction of the converter. Do a pH test on that puddle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like leaks at the seam. See if you can feel exhaust pulsing while idling.
Where do you see a leak at a seam? That black is below a weep hole - we just can't see the hole. But the black is distributed in such a way it's coming from the front edge, not a seam. It's being blown down, and back across the crimp and back along the bottom an inch or so. Bet there's a hole up there we can't see.

Water vapor/humidity is ingested during the intake stroke and makes its way through the exhaust system.
Uh, no. What's seen is the byproduct of combustion. Pure chemistry. There ain't enough humidity in the air, especially in cooler air, to do that. Oxygen plus hydrocarbon (hydrogen and carbon) = H2O and CO2

On a cool day, or a day in the higher elevations you still get this - and there's hardly any water in the air at all.

The reason cats are stainless and that there's more water vapor coming out supports the fact that the water is a byproduct of combustion and not vapor in the air is because the cat combines unburned hydrocarbons with oxygen (and thus the A.I.R. pump to push oxygen to the converter for that process). This made more water.
But because water is the byproduct of combustion, the exhaust issue was there before cats. It's why there was porcelain exhaust pipes and we replaced mufflers constantly in the 60s and 70s.
Part of HS and college was the science of combustion - that water ain't atmospheric.

Jeep Gladiator Is this normal? 15102C7C-D3CC-433F-9B61-628B83B3EC5C
Sponsored

Last edited: