Sponsored

Is this residue normal?

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I actually used duct tape to tape off the tarp on top of my bed when I filled it with stuff during my move and drive across state lines. The duct tape left a quite a bit of residue but it all came off with some elbow grease, WD40 and I went to Home Depot and bought a product called "Goof Off" for some places on the bed and behind the bed in between the back of the cab and the bed - it didn't really do any damage to the paint and the residue came off. It did take me a solid 3-4 hours though...
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's might be residual tape from shipping, the ones that come in to dealership near me are wrapped up in plastic and protection wrapping. I looked at one that had just one window uncovered the morning after it was delivered. That dealership is setting with 9 Gladiator's, when I drove home after work yesterday morning.... I stop by on way home to browse every time I see they have new stock in.
I do like watching "The Chevy Guy" busting out dealerships "tricks" a friend of mine became a lead car salesman after he retired from Army, he can sell a ice maker to someone living in Alaska. He confirmed a lot of the same.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
Little spot on mine. Same place. WD-40 on a paper towel took it right off

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
What if it was damaged on the lot or transport truck and they had it fixed. Would they have to disclose that or would they say it's still a brand new truck? Makes you wonder
Yes. It’s probably the residue adhesive from a white protective film they put on the step in area. My dodge had it. It’s a 2008 2500...I told them to leave it and it’s still there protecting from scuff and wear & tear.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I just bought an Overland last Thursday with 5 miles on it and this residue with some remaining pieces of what looked like a green tape/sticker.
I would suspect is is some sort of sticker or other similar thing from the factory and they didn’t use Goof Off or similar to remove the residue.

I also had more sticker crap on my windshield than I have seen with all my previous Jeep, and other manufacturer purchases.

So I would mark this up to the factory using stuff that requires better clean up at the dealer, like using Goof Off, to remove the residue.
He means GooP Off.... I'm an expert at good off if you need lessons.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
He means GooP Off.... I'm an expert at good off if you need lessons.
There is actually a product called "GoofOff" - I have some.

I've removed body stripes, emblems, trim, tape residue, you name it, with that produce, 3M decal remover and other products, over the years. So I keep a little bit of everything on hand.
Sponsored