Sponsored

Issue with 8.4 screen and Jeep Cares...or doesn't.

Captbenjy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
First I'll admit that I haven't taken very great care of my interior. I don't clean it as much as I should, but then I don't get it as dirty as most people do.
My 8.4 screen has been covered in smudges for quite some time, and I finally got around to giving the inside a good cleanse. What I found is that the buttons on the screen I've used the most seemed to be worn into the screen. At first I thought it was oil from my skin still on the screen and tried to clean it more vigorously which only made it worse and created scratches from the abrasive paper towel and water I'm guessing.
Dealer sent pics to Jeep who say that since it's scratched from an abrasive they don't want to cover it.
So I reached out to @JeepCares and after trying to explain the issue to a guy that just didn't seem to understand what I was even talking about for 10 mins was told he'd open a ticket and someone would reach out to me within 48 hrs.
48 hrs came and went without any contact so I called back to find out my case was closed with some random notes about ownership and damage that even the new agent couldn't decipher. She did reopen the case and elevated me to another department who's also trying to pass me to another department to hope for a courtesy replacement, which is supposed to contact me within another 48 hrs. I'm not very optimistic at this point.
I guess my point here with all my rambling is if you haven't yet, purchase a damn screen protector. I've owned at least a dozen vehicles with Nav touch screens including 2 JKUs and 2 Ram trucks and never had an issue with not being able to touch the damn "touch" screen.
I post pics on FB and the trolls had a field day because the pics were taken after I tried cleaning the screen making it worse. I assure you all there were only finger looking prints on the screen before I made it worse. Clean your screens carefully and put a protector on them. My 62k JTR now has a 8.4" cutting board for a display.

20211018_153529.jpg
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Its generally well known that you dont use paper towel on touch screens ... It is very abrasive ... So, maybe you had just finger prints prior but then you screwed up and cleaned it incorrectly ...

I don't think that they owe you a "courtesy" replacement ... The bulk of the damage is your fault ...

This is what microfiber towels are for ...

It also looks like it was probably dust covered and you basically got the dirt between your towel and the screen and caused the dirt/sand (or whatever) to scratch the heck out of it ...

Not being nasty here ... You have already admitted that you are at fault for the scratches ...

As far as the fingerprints, i've not seen that before ... Perhaps yours is actually defective ? Don't know without some testing id guess ...

In any event, I hope that it works out for you ...

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
Wow. That's looks like it's been cleaned with sandpaper.

Sponsored

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Yikes, Screen protector ordered!

I don't suggest trying this but it makes me wonder if some polishing compound couldn't make that better? A new screen can't be cheap. If you do try polishing I suggest doing a trial in an unused corner or on something else before your trucks screen.

Offroadnewbie

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I don't know if I would use it on a touch screen but polywatch is a great polisher for some plastics. Its made to polish surface scratches from watch faces and it reduces deeper scratches some but it can be used for other things besides watches. You can't do any worse from what I can tell. Oh and invest in a good microfiber cloth if you do use polywatch.

OP
OP
Captbenjy

Captbenjy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Its generally well known that you dont use paper towel on touch screens ... It is very abrasive ... So, maybe you had just finger prints prior but then you screwed up and cleaned it incorrectly ...

I don't think that they owe you a "courtesy" replacement ... The bulk of the damage is your fault ...

This is what microfiber towels are for ...

It also looks like it was probably dust covered and you basically got the dirt between your towel and the screen and caused the dirt/sand (or whatever) to scratch the heck out of it ...

Not being nasty here ... You have already admitted that you are at fault for the scratches ...

As far as the fingerprints, i've not seen that before ... Perhaps yours is actually defective ? Don't know without some testing id guess ...

In any event, I hope that it works out for you ...
I really wish I'd have thought of taking a photo prior to trying to clean or wipe the screen any more. I think then you'd change your mind on if you think they should replace it.
If you look at the pic though you can clearly see where the finger prints are and to me they're obviously more pronounced than the scratches which came after the fact, and wouldn't even be there had the screen not already had an issue.
Did I screw up the screen more due to my ignorance? Absolutely. I freely admit my screw-up.
Was the screen damaged prior to my damagewith no reasonable cause other than defect? Absolutely. And this is my point.

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I really wish I'd have thought of taking a photo prior to trying to clean or wipe the screen any more. I think then you'd change your mind on if you think they should replace it.
If you look at the pic though you can clearly see where the finger prints are and to me they're obviously more pronounced than the scratches which came after the fact, and wouldn't even be there had the screen not already had an issue.
Did I screw up the screen more due to my ignorance? Absolutely. I freely admit my screw-up.
Was the screen damaged prior to my damagewith no reasonable cause other than defect? Absolutely. And this is my point.

Unfortunately, after you had taken a paper towel to it and had etched into the screen, it no longer becomes a Jeep issue. So even tho there was an issue with it already, that most likely would’ve been covered under warranty, Jeep is under no obligation to warranty your head unit now.

Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Also, there is a Mopar part no. for a screen protector for these, so I doubt they would have even covered it anyways, unless it was a material issue and more folks were experiencing it.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I think I know what you are talking about. My 2014 JK has what appear to be permanent fingerprints on the screen in a few areas that I touch the most. I always carefully clean the screen with microfiber towels and quick detailer, yet the spots remain. But, they are very subtle and can only bee seen with the screen turned off. The other day I reached for my Novus plastic polish and though to myself "self, don't make it worse trying to make it better". So I left it alone.

Unfortunately, as you know, once you damaged the screen by trying to clean it, there is no way Jeep is going to take ownership of the problem.

You may be able to fix it by carefully polishing the screen, then applying a screen protector. But (no offense meant) I'm not sure this is something you want to attempt.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There will be markings on the screen left by the oil from your skin. Touching a dirty screen, or touching it with dirty fingers, makes it worse. A screen protector is helpful, and should be installed right after purchase. These screens are designed to be touched and last a long time. After 27 months, without a screen protector, mine shows fingerprints when the screen is dark but no noticable damage.

It may have been an issue that would have been covered by warranty. That avenue should have been explored before anything else was done. Now that there is visible damage, no one is going to be willing to help.