First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Curious if anyone has this issue. Sometimes my heated wheel feels like it’s luke warm, other times it’s scalding hot and burning my hands. Had them check it but no codes and couldn’t replicate the issue.

Curious if anyone has had this issue and what was done to fix it.
Sponsored

BryantJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
My Ram 1500 was like that. I also had some stitching pulling apart and the dealer replaced the wheel assembly under warranty. Now the heat is pretty even and toasty.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I'm thinking the wheel has a temp sensor that keeps it from getting too hot while it's on, it likely enables/disables the heating element as needed to maintain that max temp which could cause it to feel hotter in some spots/times than others.

OP
OP
JTRUBI

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'm thinking the wheel has a temp sensor that keeps it from getting too hot while it's on, it likely enables/disables the heating element as needed to maintain that max temp which could cause it to feel hotter in some spots/times than others.
That’s what I thought but the tech advised me it’s only one setting on/off. It doesn’t vary temperature.
He did mention that unless it throws a code they can’t do anything to replace it.

OP
OP
JTRUBI

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My Ram 1500 was like that. I also had some stitching pulling apart and the dealer replaced the wheel assembly under warranty. Now the heat is pretty even and toasty.
Did yours throw a code ? Or did they only replace it because of the stitching ?
They told me without it throwing a code they can’t do anything for me.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Did yours throw a code ? Or did they only replace it because of the stitching ?
They told me without it throwing a code they can’t do anything for me.
That's silly (of them) because not every electrical issue - like a thermostat not working correctly, is going to throw a code. They guys have no clue without their precious code reader, I swear.

OP
OP
JTRUBI

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
That's silly (of them) because not every electrical issue - like a thermostat not working correctly, is going to throw a code. They guys have no clue without their precious code reader, I swear.
Basically what they told me is up to 2019 they were able to do it without it throwing a code. 2020s and up they need documented proof to replace one under warranty because FCA can send it back or deny the claim and the dealership would be on the hook for it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Basically what they told me is up to 2019 they were able to do it without it throwing a code. 2020s and up they need documented proof to replace one under warranty because FCA can send it back or deny the claim and the dealership would be on the hook for it.
So it sticks and the wheels gets really hot - there's a temp sensor reporting to the system, hey, we're too hot, error, set code....... and if the stat doesn't stay closed long enough and the wheel never reaches temp? They would have to be tracking that, too - another code? Amazing system, multiple sensors and wires.
That must be one really complex system - reporting the steering wheel temperature and setting a code if it's out of range.
Cool. (or should I say hot?)

Zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Sounds like a plan.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Having Raynaud's - it would have to get REALLY hot before I'd complain. I LOVE the heated wheel.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
There was a thread about this last winter. A person with inside knowledge said the heated steering wheel can vary it's degree of heat depending upon how cold it is outside.

I did notice that on a bitter morning my wheel was hot but on a decent morning with temperature in the 30s outside the wheel would only be warm.
Sponsored