Jeep Gladiator Handling Problem

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I’m writing to inform and share a piece of my Jeep story.

2020 Gladiator Overland.

Not long after I purchased my Gladiator I installed a Teraflex 1.5” leveling kit. I wasn’t thrilled by the factory stance. I understood the reason but felt a leveling kit and new tires would be the start of personalizing my Gladiator. I also ordered a ARE bed cap. I set my Jeep up to flat tow behind my motor coach

https://teraflex.com/jt-1-5-performance-spacer-leveling-kit-no-shocks.html

From the beginning I’ve experienced trouble with OEM steering components and bad gearboxes. I’m on gearbox #3.
I’ve installed SteerSmarts steering and suspension components and multiple aftermarket shocks but the Jeep never handled properly for me, especially at highway speeds. I upgraded the rear sway bar and all four sway bar links.

After almost four years, today I solved my handling problems.
I installed Teraflex adjustable lower control arms.

https://teraflex.com/jl-jt-alpine-short-control-arm-kit-front-lower-0-4-5-lift.html

I adjusted the new arms 3/8” longer than the OEM arms. This length will likely place the caster closer to 8°.

Now the Jeep is rock solid at 80 mph. No more wandering. Time will tell and today wind wasn’t a big factor.

I’ve been told, It appears the root cause of my handling problem was caster. Factory sets caster at approximately 6° by the length of the lower control arms. When I lifter the front end 1.5” it changed the caster on my Jeep enough to be a nightmare at highway speeds.

The tech support at Teraflex guided me to the solution.
Maybe this is common knowledge but might not be for the common Jeep owner. Now I know and I hope this information helps someone else!
Good luck and be safe!
JK

Additional mods to my Gladiator Overland.
SteerSmart:
Yeti HD Tie Rod
Steering Damper
YETI HD Drag Link with Griffin Attenuator
YETI HD Track Bar Front and Rear
Most important mod…
YETI XD™ JT SECTOR SHAFT BRACE WITH FRAME SIDE TRACK BAR REINFORCEMENT BRACKET

BRIDGESTONE DUELER H/T LT275/70R18 M+S

HELLWIG Rear Stabalizer Bar

CORE 4X4 Sway Bar Links Front and Rear

Soon will be installing four FALCON SP2 3.3 Fast Adjust Piggy Back Shocks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
At the end of the day its a Jeep not a Corvette.

My Mojave blaffs me on how well it handles. Prior to my JLUR and JTM everything I owned for decades was lowered or slammed to the ground.

Sounds like a conversation for expectation management here. NOT being a troll, but realistic in the salutation

OP
OP

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

My Mojave blaffs me on how well it handles. Prior to my JLUR and JTM everything I owned for decades was lowered or slammed to the ground.

Sounds like a conversation for expectation management here. NOT being a troll, but realistic in the salutation
No sir, not a conversation to “manage expectations”. A conversation to educate, assist/help others, increase awareness, and very possibly improve the safety factor of the Jeep. I’m glad your rig handles well but mine did not because of a seemingly simple “kit”.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Never seen the castor @6 degrees off the factory line. Usually closer to 4.5 off the factory line. We know that castor is always an issue, especially as soon as you do any lift. Having castor at 5 degrees or higher fixes most of the issues with some people pushing more towards 5.5 to 6 degrees. and castor cant be set unless you install adjustable LCA's or drill the holes for cam bolts. Bigger and heavier tires add to the issue when castor is less than optimal. So the prognosis here is that by lifting, the ride issues was self induced.
BTW, I had a 2020 Overland and had a factory 2" lift installed. Even with the longer LCA's in the kit, the castor was less than optimal and I installed Teraflex adjustable LCA's and move the castor back out to 5-5.5. I didnt have any issues with my steering gearbox and it was the aluminum one. Maybe I was lucky.

Redleg37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Sport, 13 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Clinical Chaplain

I traded my C5 corvette in for my gladiator. I don't think the C5 was much faster and, at least at highway speeds and slower, the handling seems pretty similar.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No sir, not a conversation to “manage expectations”. A conversation to educate, assist/help others, increase awareness, and very possibly improve the safety factor of the Jeep. I’m glad your rig handles well but mine did not because of a seemingly simple “kit”.
Well be aware "simple" or "cheap" will yield those same results,

This is thread is on par with members that discuss the MPGs they get.

You bought a lower end model with over expectation of the the results of paying less up front and then throw the parts cannon at it.

Before you fire back with some smarty ass comment...........go drive a stock Mojave you didn't want to pay extra for up front. I'll wait for a non-bias response.

The money you have spent since then, WAY FAR surpassed what you would have spent for a Mojave on a 2" AEV spacer lift (under $600), Mopar LCAs (under $80) and Fox Ats steering stabilizer (about $400). So tally up the cost of parts/labor you've spent thus far with sub standard results.

My experience and many others will vouch for..........I have what I want, drives like a Cadillac at 80-90 mph and is a trail boss. Feel free to drop into the Mojave section and I'll be validated. I'm not talking shit, straight truth. I have nothing to gain from talking shit......because well I didn't waste money on unneeded shit in my build.

Just like buying stocks, bonds or crypto currencies........due dalliance is you money maker

OP
OP

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You bought a lower end model with over expectation of the the results of paying less up front and then throw the parts cannon at it.

Before you fire back with some smarty ass comment...........go drive a stock Mojave you didn't want to pay extra for up front. I'll wait for a non-bias response.

The money you have spent since then, WAY FAR surpassed what you would have spent for a Mojave on a 2" AEV spacer lift (under $600), Mopar LCAs (under $80) and Fox Ats steering stabilizer (about $400). So tally up the cost of parts/labor you've spent thus far with sub standard results.

My experience and many others will vouch for..........I have what I want, drives like a Cadillac at 80-90 mph and is a trail boss. Feel free to drop into the Mojave section and I'll be validated. I'm not talking shit, straight truth. I have nothing to gain from talking shit......because well I didn't waste money on unneeded shit in my build.

Just like buying stocks, bonds or crypto currencies........due dalliance is you money maker
That model wasn’t available when I was looking. I have a Jeep because it pulls well behind my motor coach.

GeneralMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Glad you got your ride sorted out. As someone who owned a first generation JK 2-door and then a second gen JK 2-door, I know how unerving a squirly ride can be on the freeway and getting jolted around by every bump in the road. I was blown away when I first drove my Mojave and still cant believe its a Jeep with solid axles.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That model wasn’t available when I was looking. I have a Jeep because it pulls well behind my motor coach.
Sometimes holding is best bet. Jumping at the first offering is not the best option

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Never seen the castor @6 degrees off the factory line. Usually closer to 4.5 off the factory line. We know that castor is always an issue, especially as soon as you do any lift. Having castor at 5 degrees or higher fixes most of the issues with some people pushing more towards 5.5 to 6 degrees. and castor cant be set unless you install adjustable LCA's or drill the holes for cam bolts. Bigger and heavier tires add to the issue when castor is less than optimal. So the prognosis here is that by lifting, the ride issues was self induced.
BTW, I had a 2020 Overland and had a factory 2" lift installed. Even with the longer LCA's in the kit, the castor was less than optimal and I installed Teraflex adjustable LCA's and move the castor back out to 5-5.5. I didnt have any issues with my steering gearbox and it was the aluminum one. Maybe I was lucky.
Yup - that's where the factory puts it. Even with the longer lower control arms you can't get over 5 degrees.

Sponsored

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Sometimes holding is best bet. Jumping at the first offering is not the best option
He took the long route to get there, but in reality caster is the culprit. Our JLUR with xr package had 4.2⁰ from the factory. New lcas went on the 1st weekend as I had already experienced the massive improvement of high 6⁰ caster in our 2019 and new full well it caster be terrible on an xr as they didn't even include the longer lcas with the tallest factory suspension to date. Being that the front of the Mojave is supposed to be just as tall, I'm guessing my factory caster on my new 2023 is crap too. If you think it rides well with longer lcas, you should try control arm drop brackets. Flat control arms AND proper caster result in the best riding Jeep I've ever owned, and it's on 3.5" of lift and 39s.
Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator Handling Problem 20230925_162818

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

I'm on my 2nd Overland. It handles just fine. Not wandery (my wife would tell me if it was), not loose, handles good on long road trips. My wife even drives it through mountains, day and night, long trips, hours at a time, no issues. It just isn't a problem. And she comes to these being used to a Grand Cherokee.

Some here may even recall my recount of our drive home (60 minutes worth) from Ames with that big derecho coming. I was doing 75 and my wife says "faster!" and I hit 80 and I hear "faster" and I hit 85 and she's like "get around these guys" and she's got me passing cars, trucks, semis, in and out in an extreme wind situation, doing a good 85 or so to get us home before the brunt of it hit. We almost made it - road signs, chunks of trees, road construction barriers, all blowing across the highways and our county road on the way home and it was fantastic. I never felt uneasy about driving it at some serious speed, turns and curves and in and out, taking corners quickly, etc. By the time we got home, trees were knocked down on power lines - it handled it just fine.
I guess I don't get it - even Overland is fine. I've never felt it a chore to keep it going where I wanted it, one handed, towing, hauling, whatever.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
you should try control arm drop brackets. Flat control arms...............
Bingo - keep them parallel to each other, and parallel to the ground. Yes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My two Overlands are proof you don't have to buy higher to get that good handling and ride.
If I told of every one of my driving event in my Jeeps - I'd hear "you did THAT in a Jeep????!!!" and I'd say yeah, it was just fine.

OP
OP

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you got your ride sorted out. As someone who owned a first generation JK 2-door and then a second gen JK 2-door, I know how unerving a squirly ride can be on the freeway and getting jolted around by every bump in the road. I was blown away when I first drove my Mojave and still cant believe its a Jeep with solid axles.
A friend has one and couldn’t understand what I was experiencing. Must be the Jeep setup on that model.
Sponsored