First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Looking for work so lies about an engine needing a rebuild? Likely not.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for work so lies about an engine needing a rebuild? Likely not.
They still have to justify it to FCA and sometimes provide the faulty parts when doing warranty work.

Like I said - a lot of hate, mistrust, guessing, and just plain speculation from non-mechanics.
I'm sure a lot of professional mechanics, trained and experienced, get good chuckles from some of what they read.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
They still have to justify it to FCA and sometimes provide the faulty parts when doing warranty work.
Yeah - we bought a 2001 Ford Escape brand new. About a month later it developed a noise that sounded like valve noise so we took it to the dealer. We got a call later that day that they will be replacing the engine, and Ford directed them to pull our engine and crate it up without removing any fluids - they wanted to find out what the issue was. So, about a month after buying the car we got a brand new engine, but the factory was really interested in examining the "old" engine...

IHCDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Pick up my 2020 gladiator rubicon this morning with new steering gearbox and flash. All I can say is wow. Don’t listen to everyone else the difference is night and day it drives like a real truck. No more pulling and handles unbelievably all I can say is get it done as soon as you can. It’s a great fix.
What was the TSB number for the flash they did?

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
hi, I'm here to get my car washed, I have an appointment. Absolutely sir, can you leave it with us and we will have it done later today, Sure.

Later that day: yes this is the dealership, while cleaning your car we did a scan of your computer and noticed your lifters were knocking and now we have new camshafts coming for you all covered under warranty and will have your car back to you in 5-6 weeks.

WTF, hopefully they gave you a loaner and are making your payments while you are without

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously dude its 2020, it's a diverse world we all live in, I'm sure they had an issue with your English accent!
I wonder how he knew they were OUTSIDE of the USA............hmmmm?

I've met several of our non-US AMC forum members over the years, a couple of them from Germany, one from Mexico, and other places. More often than not they apologize for their "English" and I have to correct them - "never apologize, you speak English better than many Americans born and educated in the USA"
Similar on the forum - their written word is often more coherent and easier to understand than people born and raised in the states.

Those Joisey accents are a killer.....

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I wonder how he knew they were OUTSIDE of the USA............hmmmm?
You don't unless you ask. But given how many companies outsource customer service to India, probably not a bad guess.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Seriously dude its 2020, it's a diverse world we all live in, I'm sure they had an issue with your English accent!
Wow dude, been trolling much. Really, you show up on this thread with a whopping 5 messages and you want to critique this guy when he's stuck in this stressful situation? He's put his trust in FCA and his dealer, dropped some SERIOUS cash for the truck, followed all the steps prescribed and seems to be getting the runaround. When you're in the midst of something like this and you can't even fully understand the speech of the "customer service" person the manufacturer has selected to deal with you, I get why he's a bit peeved...

You sitting on the sidelines, eatin' popcorn and casually trolling through threads for entertainment isn't helpful. Maybe just refrain from adding another completely unhelpful post to your count of "5" messages and move on...

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You don't unless you ask. But given how many companies outsource customer service to India, probably not a bad guess.
Used to be - but twice in the last couple of months I have called customer support - USA based according to their marketing, and I had to try hard to get past the accents. One was Spanish, the other sounded more European.
A lot of software support still is over-seas, but that's actually dwindling a bit these days due to backlash.
It's honestly been a while since I've heard an Indian accent - and that was when I worked for the state of Iowa (or on TV)

Wow dude, been trolling much. Really, you show up on this thread with a whopping 5 messages and you want to critique this guy when he's stuck in this stressful situation? He's put his trust in FCA and his dealer, dropped some SERIOUS cash for the truck, followed all the steps prescribed and seems to be getting the runaround. When you're in the midst of something like this and you can't even fully understand the speech of the "customer service" person the manufacturer has selected to deal with you, I get why he's a bit peeved...

You sitting on the sidelines, eatin' popcorn and casually trolling through threads for entertainment isn't helpful. Maybe just refrain from adding another completely unhelpful post to your count of "5" messages and move on...
Sorry but I disagree with your hammering him. He was responding to a person obviously, uh, well, sounded anti-non-white midwesterner to me. Many Americans speak with deep accents and to bash a person because of accent, I agree with 905 in that the other post sounded very "anti-foreigner".. There's no use bashing a person for how they sound or talk. They could have been in this country for 30 years and as "All-American" as mom and apply pie and to dig them for the accent? You have no clue where people are, who they are, where they are from, whatever. What if the person on the other end had a lisp or stutter? Would a person mock a deaf person for how they sound when speaking?
Maybe the guy could have TRIED HARDER to understand some poor fool just trying to make a living - and possibly living just two houses down in the same town. (Yeah, I know two people who do online support for companies in California but they LIVE in Iowa. One is my BROTHER. Oh, make that THREE people, my son lives in Korea part time and does support for a company in the USA)

Yeah, he was frustrated and yeah, he paid a lot for the truck but he ALSO could have ASKED nicely to be transferred to another support person! I have hearing loss and as such have a LOT of trouble with certain foreign accents. When I worked for government, my co-worker, a network admin, had me do a lot of work with our Cisco routers and such - and guess where support was....... India. I had a heck of a time - until my co-worker pointed out that you CAN request another person if you explain your difficulty understanding them!
Simply explain you are having trouble and ask to be transferred - they'll usually do it.
It works for me!

No wonder Americans are seen by much of the world as snotty and snobby.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2

Like I said - a lot of hate, mistrust, guessing, and just plain speculation from non-mechanics.
I'm sure a lot of professional mechanics, trained and experienced, get good chuckles from some of what they read.

If they're having trouble fixing the vehicle they've gotten engineering involved. They would have sent a vehicle scan report to engineering which would show the misfire codes..

At the end of installing the steering flash the tech would have to clear codes. If a misfire code wouldn't clear the tech would investigate. I'd be happy they didn't just send it out the door and wait for it to get worse.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Used to be . . . It's honestly been a while since I've heard an Indian accent . . .
Well, unfortunately we have an older guy in our office who always uses speaker on his phone because it helps him hear - and he gets spam calls sometimes several in one day - and they nearly all have an Indian accent.

This phenomenon is alive and well.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, unfortunately we have an older guy in our office who always uses speaker on his phone because it helps him hear - and he gets spam calls sometimes several in one day - and they nearly all have an Indian accent.

This phenomenon is alive and well.
Did you know that over 70% of all spam on email and the phone come from the USA? Yeah, I got that number from Spamhaus a couple of years back.
Apparently your guy is getting very specific spam where it comes from Nigeria, India (I could name other places). I track such things because of the forum I operate - in effort to keep up blocking these clowns. Spam calls and spam email are related in ways. That fellow must have his number out there in a certain "crowd" and is going to keep getting those calls.
Luckily with a personal phone you have the ability to simply not answer. At work - you need to handle every call or get ragged on for ignoring an important call.
I have not received a call like that in ages, luckily, I keep getting spam calls for insurance, extended auto warranties (that's a HUGE profit maker for companies so it pays them to hire crews to spam-away - that must be quite a racket to be in)
And of course - you know that with technology, the call you think is coming from your own state is actually coming from off-shore. Phone companies COULD halt that IF they wanted but that takes money and effort and cuts into their profit margins, so it ain't gonna happen. They are free to spoof-away. Here we keep getting 515-669-xxxx calls and those idiots aren't even in Iowa, and perhaps they are where you suspect.......

I have a list of the countries and places most spam calls and emails come from as our forum subscibes to services that track such things. Amazing to see those lists.

Mine comes from my experience with my local dealers and mechanics. Seriously bad diagnostics...SERIOUSLY BAD.
Yeah, I get ya there. It exists - luckily not the majority, but ENOUGH that we keep running into them.
I've been fairly lucky lately - but it helps having the background and knowing exactly the info they'll neded and giving them breadcrumbs without actually telling them what to look at and ruffle their feathers (well, I try - I still ruffle feathers now and then)
I quit cold and walked out of one place because of the same sort of thing you have experienced. I argued with the boss about the diagnosis, he insisted I do as HE say, not what I knew was right (it was a brake problem - family of 4 on a vacation in their station wagon, BAD master cylinder) - I refused, and quietly walked out the door, got my truck, backed up to the door, loaded my tools and drove away. I shocked the other guys there - it only pissed that boss off so I never went back not even for a paycheck. I wasn't about to send that family out with bad brakes.
Sponsored