First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
LE
That's an interesting idea. I've been going back and forth with the idea of adding a front locker to my Mojave. I'm not keen on the idea of air or magnetic type lockers because of the added maintenance needed. I'm also seeing that the auto vs manual locker debate is somewhat polarizing.

I've been looking at the OX locker, which costs $1100. The TORQ option would cut that cost around 60%. The on-street driving quirks seem to be a trade off though. I'd like to hear from someone that uses a daily driver with an automatic locker that can explain how these quirks affect the driving comfort of their ride. Be nice if that person also had a Mojave to compare with.

Redleg37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Sport, 13 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Clinical Chaplain
That's really tempting for me. I have a factory LSD in the rear, and as much as I would love to re-gear in the future I don't see that happening for a long time.

OP
OP
bobby.f3

bobby.f3

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JTM
Occupation
Parts Sales
That's an interesting idea. I've been going back and forth with the idea of adding a front locker to my Mojave. I'm not keen on the idea of air or magnetic type lockers because of the added maintenance needed. I'm also seeing that the auto vs manual locker debate is somewhat polarizing.

I've been looking at the OX locker, which costs $1100. The TORQ option would cut that cost around 60%. The on-street driving quirks seem to be a trade off though. I'd like to hear from someone that uses a daily driver with an automatic locker that can explain how these quirks affect the driving comfort of their ride. Be nice if that person also had a Mojave to compare with.
I think the Center Axle Disconnect is a huge advantage here with a lunchbox locker like this. Yes, the driver side axleshaft is spinning the carrier/pinion. But, as long as the Jeep is in 2wd, the front axle should behave as if it was open. If you drive often in slick/snowy conditions a front locker like this is something to get used to. It is 100% of the power to both front wheels WHILE UNDER POWER. So, if you are entering a corner, and you decelerate or let off the gas the locker can disengage and ratchet through the corner.

Years ago, I had the destinct pleasure of driving my 1989 Jeep YJ in Front Wheel Drive with a lunchbox locker about 5 miles from trail to an Advance Auto. I had exploded the rear 1310/1330 conversion u-joint and it was my only way home. That was much less fun.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
I have one of these in my Honda Pioneer 520. Overall, I love it. It locks solid and the thing will go damn near anywhere in 4wd. That being said, it does make an occasional ratcheting sound, even while in 2wd. Not sure if that would be a problem with the Jeep, but the locker looks nearly the same as mine.

Just an FYI.

Sponsored

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
i just put an Eaton 'lectric in the front of my Willys, its worked flawlessly on several trail runs

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
The disadvantage here is every time you’re in 4wd it’s locked, making it harder to steer. Everything is a trade off.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Been curious on this as well but yet to find anyone with an installed unit. I’m still on the fence as to whether or not I want to have the front locked at all times in 4wd vs having a switch to turn it on or off.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
A front locker is not good on the street unless you have manual hubs, or a FAD. Once in 4 wheel drive. It's hard to turn. I tried to run lockers both front and rear in a '76 Chevy 3/4 ton years ago. Ended up replacing the front locker with a Trutrac.

I had a '90 Nissan Hardbody. Had a locker in the rear and a LSD in the front. Both the long wheelbase Chevy and the short wheelbase Nissan had the same handling issues. Going into a turn. If you let up on the gas, the front would pull into the turn. If you gave more throttle. The front would push towards to outside of the turn. Coming out of a turn. The locker would make some wild noises as it was locking back up. Sometimes it would bang, or snap. If it banged, the rear would jerk.

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
A front locker is not good on the street unless you have manual hubs, or a FAD. Once in 4 wheel drive. It's hard to turn. I tried to run lockers both front and rear in a '76 Chevy 3/4 ton years ago. Ended up replacing the front locker with a Trutrac.

I had a '90 Nissan Hardbody. Had a locker in the rear and a LSD in the front. Both the long wheelbase Chevy and the short wheelbase Nissan had the same handling issues. Going into a turn. If you let up on the gas, the front would pull into the turn. If you gave more throttle. The front would push towards to outside of the turn. Coming out of a turn. The locker would make some wild noises as it was locking back up. Sometimes it would bang, or snap. If it banged, the rear would jerk.
Had a wild girlfriend like that years ago.

Boostnu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
I wish they had came out with one of these earlier I may have tried one myself. I had a lunchbox locker in my TJ. They work great as a locker downside I saw myself was having to go in and out of 4wd so I could make turns. I love the electric lockers I’m running now it’s nice being able to turn one off at touch of a switch. At the price point and somewhat simple install the lunchbox lockers are hard to beat though.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke

what is the added maintenance on the magnetic or E-lockers? increased fluid changes or something. when i put mine in i dont remember anything discussing extra maint??

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
what is the added maintenance on the magnetic or E-lockers? increased fluid changes or something. when i put mine in i dont remember anything discussing extra maint??
There is no extra maintenance with an E-locker.